NEED HELP with supplement for indigestion

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Suffer from chronic indigestion and heartburn. Whole chest is on fire, little burps constantly after eating, sometimes acid reflux. Was going to go the PPI (proton pump inhibitors) route but there is emerging evidence that long term use is linked to heart failure.

Anyone know of a single supplement that can help. By single I mean preferably a bottle that has a comprehensive profile. Would prefer not to take multiple pills of different ingredients. The amount of pills I take a day is already off the charts

mastah

Awards
  • First Up Vote
for heartburn/acid reflux activated charcoal must be the best one, I always keep a liquid bottle at home just a teaspoon makes it go away in 10-15sec

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would start with this one. One prior to each meal. Once things are under control you can switch to the cheaper lower potency one below.

I would also try the elimination diet. For example pick ONE meat and NOTHING else. Eat just that. Do you get the same issues? I am going to guess you eat mixed meals: Pro/CHO/FAT and while that is not an issue for most it CAN be for some, especially once digestion goes south. I find more times than not tweaking the foods, and sometimes it can end up being very basic one food only meals or maybe two foods only. Sometimes you have to eat your proteins and then an hour later your carbs and so on. Play around with it.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
OP I would regularly suggest the following:

Glutamine 10 grams am and pm empty stomach working up to 20g BID.
The above enzymes with each meal, more than one if needed per meal.
Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic.

Combined with eating only foods that agree with you this has solved every persons issues I have helped with that was not related to a structural/anatomical issue with the esophageal sphincter.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Suffer from chronic indigestion and heartburn. Whole chest is on fire, little burps constantly after eating, sometimes acid reflux. Was going to go the PPI (proton pump inhibitors) route but there is emerging evidence that long term use is linked to heart failure.

Anyone know of a single supplement that can help. By single I mean preferably a bottle that has a comprehensive profile. Would prefer not to take multiple pills of different ingredients. The amount of pills I take a day is already off the charts
For OTC meds, Pepcid AC would be my product of choice.

For a simple answer on a supplement, I would say that NOW Foods Digest Ultimate is a good enzyme formula to help with indigestion, but may not treat all of the different aspects of heartburn and indigestion if there are underlying issues.

My more in depth answer though is that I don't think that there is a really great standout comprehensive digestive health product on the market from the ones I've looked at. I have done a lot of research on digestive health products, and no disrespect meant to other companies or products, I just don't feel like there is a good overall comprehensive formula that targets all the different aspects of digestion effectively.

I think one of the main reasons for that is that from what I've seen, there are three main types of products in that category:
  • Products that are designed to be sold at a cheap price point so they're limited on what they can include.
  • Products that are made by the more marketing based companies and sold for a high price or at least a high price for what they are and that go light on many potential ingredients to keep costs down in order to spend more on advertising.
  • Just absolutely terrible products that are sold by brands that focus solely on a particular retailer and don't even make an attempt to even put together a quality product.
One of the reasons for many of the good companies that make quality products not making an all in one type solution is the price point issue and this has always been a weird category because its traditionally been one that most people wouldn't spend much money on. That may seem odd to those of us that would love to have a great formula, but its just always been the case so I can't blame companies like NOW for making several different types of products that people could just mix and match or stack however they see fit.

I have done a ton of research and really want to do an overall comprehensive digestive support product under SNS and I know we could do an awesome product, but the traditional sales history in the category is worrisome to me bc I'm not sure the average customer is willing to pay 39.99 to 49.99 for a great product (even though some of the major marketed ones may run 49.99 to 79.99)

I've had a tendency sometimes to sometimes let my own emotions influence product decisions and I've been concerned about this one because its one that I want to make so badly bc I can't even find a one product solution that I consider a good option for myself; but at the same time I'm not sure if its a great business decision or not.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
for heartburn/acid reflux activated charcoal must be the best one, I always keep a liquid bottle at home just a teaspoon makes it go away in 10-15sec
Any specific brand you can recommend?

View attachment 227956 I would start with this one. One prior to each meal. Once things are under control you can switch to the cheaper lower potency one below.
View attachment 227955

I would also try the elimination diet. For example pick ONE meat and NOTHING else. Eat just that. Do you get the same issues? I am going to guess you eat mixed meals: Pro/CHO/FAT and while that is not an issue for most it CAN be for some, especially once digestion goes south. I find more times than not tweaking the foods, and sometimes it can end up being very basic one food only meals or maybe two foods only. Sometimes you have to eat your proteins and then an hour later your carbs and so on. Play around with it.
This is something I didn’t consider, I knew diet played a part but I didn’t consider trying the elimination diet

OP I would regularly suggest the following:

Glutamine 10 grams am and pm empty stomach working up to 20g BID.
The above enzymes with each meal, more than one if needed per meal.
Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic.

Combined with eating only foods that agree with you this has solved every persons issues I have helped with that was not related to a structural/anatomical issue with the esophageal sphincter.
What does BID mean?

For OTC meds, Pepcid AC would be my product of choice.

For a simple answer on a supplement, I would say that NOW Foods Digest Ultimate is a good enzyme formula to help with indigestion, but may not treat all of the different aspects of heartburn and indigestion if there are underlying issues.

My more in depth answer though is that I don't think that there is a really great standout comprehensive digestive health product on the market from the ones I've looked at. I have done a lot of research on digestive health products, and no disrespect meant to other companies or products, I just don't feel like there is a good overall comprehensive formula that targets all the different aspects of digestion effectively.

I think one of the main reasons for that is that from what I've seen, there are three main types of products in that category:
  • Products that are designed to be sold at a cheap price point so they're limited on what they can include.
  • Products that are made by the more marketing based companies and sold for a high price or at least a high price for what they are and that go light on many potential ingredients to keep costs down in order to spend more on advertising.
  • Just absolutely terrible products that are sold by brands that focus solely on a particular retailer and don't even make an attempt to even put together a quality product.
One of the reasons for many of the good companies that make quality products not making an all in one type solution is the price point issue and this has always been a weird category because its traditionally been one that most people wouldn't spend much money on. That may seem odd to those of us that would love to have a great formula, but its just always been the case so I can't blame companies like NOW for making several different types of products that people could just mix and match or stack however they see fit.

I have done a ton of research and really want to do an overall comprehensive digestive support product under SNS and I know we could do an awesome product, but the traditional sales history in the category is worrisome to me bc I'm not sure the average customer is willing to pay 39.99 to 49.99 for a great product (even though some of the major marketed ones may run 49.99 to 79.99)

I've had a tendency sometimes to sometimes let my own emotions influence product decisions and I've been concerned about this one because its one that I want to make so badly bc I can't even find a one product solution that I consider a good option for myself; but at the same time I'm not sure if its a great business decision or not.
MAKE IT!

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

This is something I didn’t consider, I knew diet played a part but I didn’t consider trying the elimination diet

What does BID mean?

MAKE IT!
BID is twice a day

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You could put some research into Betaine HCL + Pepsin. a lot of scenarios digestion and reflux are actually caused by low stomach acid and a deficiency in the ability of the digestive system to break down food. Betaine HCL can help a lot in that department. it sounds counterintuitive, and may not be your problem, but it could be, and this could be extremely helpful./

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You could put some research into Betaine HCL + Pepsin. a lot of scenarios digestion and reflux are actually caused by low stomach acid and a deficiency in the ability of the digestive system to break down food. Betaine HCL can help a lot in that department. it sounds counterintuitive, and may not be your problem, but it could be, and this could be extremely helpful./
Agreed and good point - a lot of people are thrown off to Betaine HCI because it does seem counterintuitive like you said, but adding it in can help a lot of people.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pepcid Complete or just straight Famotidine at 10mg twice a day is what I do when pushing PEDs that are destroying my gut environment - but this is not an ideal longterm solution. It’s a bandaid (that works for a while).

I heal my gut with Glutamine at 10-15g at 2-3x a day on empty stomach as mentioned.

I also have seen TREMENDOUS benefit from incorporating at least 100g, if not an entire serving, of Greek yogurt or kefir daily. Typically Fage Total 5% milkfat - skim & added sugars are NOT ideal here. These foods populate the gut biome with useful bacteria. Sauerkraut & kimchi will also do this. Consume one of these fermented foods every day that you eat if possible.

Betaine HCL & Pepsin as mentioned before meals I’ve heard Stan Efferding advocate, but no experience. I actually have some coming this week for the next time I push my food up.

mechka_grizli

mechka_grizli

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pepcid Complete or just straight Famotidine at 10mg twice a day is what I do when pushing PEDs that are destroying my gut environment - but this is not an ideal longterm solution. It’s a bandaid (that works for a while).

I heal my gut with Glutamine at 10-15g at 2-3x a day on empty stomach as mentioned.

I also have seen TREMENDOUS benefit from incorporating at least 100g, if not an entire serving, of Greek yogurt or kefir daily. Typically Fage Total 5% milkfat - skim & added sugars are NOT ideal here. These foods populate the gut biome with useful bacteria. Sauerkraut & kimchi will also do this. Consume one of these fermented foods every day that you eat if possible.

Betaine HCL & Pepsin as mentioned before meals I’ve heard Stan Efferding advocate, but no experience. I actually have some coming this week for the next time I push my food up.
Can’t do the greek yogurt/kefir as I’m lactose intolerant (stomach pain, gas, diarrhea, bloating) but I can do the sauerkraut or kimchi. Will also get the Glutamine, betaine, and pepsin

mastah

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I don't think it really matters, I buy the ones that the pharmacy has. Gonna buy bulk tablets soon instead the liquid from pharmacy is a bit expensive for what it is.

madmuscle24

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Apple cider vinegar pills, NOW super enzymes, saccharomyces boulardii pills and ginger root pills have helped me tremendously over the years. Reduced my GERD by at least 80+%. Rarely need my protonix anymore.

hercules_22

hercules_22

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Honestly for me apples help with any indigestion or heartburn I have. Something about the simple sugars digesting fast and helping everything else digest. Maybe it's just me or maybe it will work for you.