need help putting together a routine plz!!

RatnikK

RatnikK

Awards
ok so i am gonna start working out full time again and I need some help putting together a routine. I plan on using free weights only because Iam gonna work out in my basement and I don't have any machines , only squat rack, bench press, about 200 pounds for my barbell and EZ -bar , two spin lock dumbells with 30 pounds and a pair of 45 pounds and 55 pounds rubber dumbells. My goal is to put together a 5 or 4 day split routine that targets both hypertrophy and strength each week only using free weights.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well you don't need any special routine(s) for free weights. There are many routines for what you describe or want to achieve.
My biggest point, or advice would be to concentrate a great deal on the big basic 5-7 compound exercises. ie: squats, deads, rows, OHP's, BP's, chins, then some arm work, calves abs.
Power size and strength can be built using multiple sets of between 4-6 and rep ranges from 5-12.
IMO squatting and some deadlifting (depending on how advanced one is) can be done 2x per week perhaps more if one is a novice, Pressing and smaller muscles groups 3x per week.
I have used almost exclusively free weights my entire life save for say a cable/say low row or pull dwns at times. Personally, I find free weights much more satisfying, less restricting and more fun and challenging than most machines.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
They're are many programs out there that lay it all out for you. Just have to dig around...even through many of the logs on here...I am currently using a setup similar to what's you're wanting. I lift 4 days a week. A push/pull split. Mon/wed are squats/bench days. One day is higher reps focused on hypertrophy and the other is lower reps for strength. Tues/Thurs are pull days deadlifts with some other pulls and pull-ups. Hypertrophy and strength focus just like the push days.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Given your restrictions on the weight available, i would look into some plans by kris gethin. His stuff is usually lighter weight with higher reps, but they are really brutal if done right and ive had some great results. Some of his ideologies are a little off and he can be a bit much sometimes, but i really think his dtp program would serve you well with the weights. He provides video and routines for free. Also loook into some resistance bands. They could add some resistance to the weights cheaply.

Bobbaugh3

Bobbaugh3

Awards
Some of his ideologies are a little off and he can be a bit much sometimes
Lol agree so hard.. Also DTP is good but I'm sure all of your routine really depends on what you want out of it, size, strength, so on and so forth