Unanswered Need a little assistance on calories with Citrulline supplementaion

Em3

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Yes its OCD, now that's been discussed on to the question.

For me personally, I track calories when supplementing with BCAAs and the like.

Aka when I take 10g of BCAAs I count that as 40 calories and 10 protein. (Though I believe I've read BCAAs have 4.6 cal per gram to be exact but w.e)

When I supplement with L-Taurine at 3g a day I track that the same, 12 cal 3 protein.

Now my question is when supplementing with Citrulline DL Malate, would one also track this as protein given the prior protocol? Assuming the answer is yes I guess the harder part would be figuring out how much of it is actually Citrulline amino acid and how much is malic acid? I know there are version with 2:1 ratio and versions with 1:1 ratio.

Assuming I have a correct understanding so far, with a 2:1 ratio, for every 3 grams of Citrulline DL Malate would yield 2 parts L-Citrulline 1 part Malic acid? If so every 3 grams would yield 8 calories/2 protein which would of course mean with an average 9g dose would yield 24 calories/6 protein?

Thanks for any help!

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Citrulline and malic acid have similar molecular weights, so, you could guesstimate it that way.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That seems super excessive to worry about but if you are going to then yes the calculations you determined would be logical based on your assumptions.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
BCAA’s are like 6 kcal/gram since we’re splitting hairs :)

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you see a specific ratio listed, go by that ratio. If it just says citrulline malate without showing a ratio, it’s safe to assume it’s 1:1.