Neck training

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Curious if anyone does train their neck? I'd like to get mine thicker but not sure on the exercises as they seem crazy like neck curls.

YouBet33

YouBet33

Awards
Grab a football helmet and tackle someone 1000 times head first....you think I'm joking haha my family makes fun of me all the time how thick my neck is, I have never directly trained any neck muscles just trying to have some fun :)

bobsaget2191

bobsaget2191

Awards
I don't cause mine is already thick as he'll lol I hate it but mike tyson would take like a weight lifting belt with a chain through some plates and would look at the ground and lift his head up left and right

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Don't train it directly. Usually doing Jerks or Push Press (with proper form - the head being pushed forward) already puts strain on traps and neck

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Why not directly?
I personally see it as a waste of time. If you are already doing heavy deadlifts, rows, and lots of overhead movements then it gets put under strain enough nearly daily. Plus theres always the chance of doing a movement wrong or something random happening and injuring yourself.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I personally see it as a waste of time. If you are already doing heavy deadlifts, rows, and lots of overhead movements then it gets put under strain enough nearly daily. Plus theres always the chance of doing a movement wrong or something random happening and injuring yourself.
That is what I was thinking, but people all the time say that about arms, if you are doing the compound movements that there is no point in working them directly, but at the same time I feel that is wrong as why would you neglect direct training as it will help produce maximum hypertrophy. The last part goes for everything, if you do any movement wrong or some rare times you can mess yourself up on about any exercise. Not trying to argue just want to highlight the other side as well. I don't think my neck is particularly small, my shoulders are wide and my traps go up my neck a bit so I believe it gives it a more thick look.

Still curious as not many replies in here.. I'm assuming everyone's neck to body ratio is good or people don't care about it.

jgspray

Awards
Grapplers and Wrestlers train their necks with bridges. It's not the dangerous exercise everyone makes it out to be. Bridges are a great stretch for the spine too, especially important if you're going to be squatting and deadlifting heavy.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
That is what I was thinking, but people all the time say that about arms, if you are doing the compound movements that there is no point in working them directly, but at the same time I feel that is wrong as why would you neglect direct training as it will help produce maximum hypertrophy. The last part goes for everything, if you do any movement wrong or some rare times you can mess yourself up on about any exercise. Not trying to argue just want to highlight the other side as well. I don't think my neck is particularly small, my shoulders are wide and my traps go up my neck a bit so I believe it gives it a more thick look.

Still curious as not many replies in here.. I'm assuming everyone's neck to body ratio is good or people don't care about it.
yeah I realized that after I wrote it. Every movement is dangerous if done incorrectly but the way that weight our head produces gets multiplied by a magnitude the further out it is pushed with weights involved is just too much for me.
The other thing is economy of training. I'd rather not spend the time required on training neck for minuscule improvements

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
yeah I realized that after I wrote it. Every movement is dangerous if done incorrectly but the way that weight our head produces gets multiplied by a magnitude the further out it is pushed with weights involved is just too much for me.
The other thing is economy of training. I'd rather not spend the time required on training neck for minuscule improvements
Yeah I have neck issue at times, so I felt if I trained my neck it wouldn't be an issue any longer. I bet if your neck was pencil thin though you wouldn't say that lol, one man's trash is another man's treasure. From my past experiences I've known people that would do crazy things to change their bodies that other people wouldn't even pay a thought to ie. I had a buddy that wanted to make his dick bigger so he hung weights from it.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I train mine. Before starting training I'd have neck muscle strains and headaches I felt were attributable to neck muscle weakness. After starting training all this has gone away. The harness I use is this one:
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1435418731.238334.jpg

alwaysfirst

Banned
Awards
Be creative in the gym, I use the leg curl machine to lay down reverse and putting the back of my head on the roller and I'm doing neck reassess. You can use some ab machines, instead of putting the resistance on your chest you put it on your forehead. If you're lucky you can find a gym with a neck machine, I use those also but the neck reassess in the leg curl machine is my favorite. Bridges is ok, it's easy to get hurt doing those.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
I keep meaning to get around to beasting up my neck but i have an upper body injury and most direct neck movements can potentially aggravate the injury so i'm being a p^ssy atm.

Having said that, if its an area you want to build up you will need to target it directly IMO.

Majority of people don't like muscle groups i happen to like. Think about when you're wearing a t.shirt what is showing? Neck and Forearms. When you're wearing shorts what is showing? Calves. So three muscle groups right off the bat people don't give a **** about. But IMO they are still important.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've actually just used my hand and give some resistance and do sets of 15 go the sides and front and back while pushing against my head with my hand. I still feel a burn. A neck harness like above would be good to.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I train mine every week with a BFS Neck Machine. I always wanted a THICK Neck !!

Neck 2 (598x800).jpg

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
yes but to most people huge traps wil make the neck look bigger
Personally I do not like the traps to be to big, I like the square shoulder look.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Im sorta out of place in here. I must be happy with my neck. I really don't see the point in wanting a bigger neck. To me there are much more important things to focus on.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is what makes the Art of Bodybuilding so nice, we can each build what we want.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
That is what makes the Art of Bodybuilding so nice, we can each build what we want.
Very true. It seems to me also that build a neck would be as difficult as building calves

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very true. It seems to me also that build a neck would be as difficult as building calves
From reading, the neck muscles respond quickly. We shall see as I've been only training mine sporadically for a couple months. I think the neck training becomes more important as we all keep looking down at our smartphones. I see "slant neck" becoming an issue with time.

jaces

jaces

Awards
yes every one has his own taste and goals like i like those huge traps that bulge out a t shirt

Joedoubledose

Joedoubledose

Awards
From reading, the neck muscles respond quickly. We shall see as I've been only training mine sporadically for a couple months. I think the neck training becomes more important as we all keep looking down at our smartphones. I see "slant neck" becoming an issue with time.
The whole slant neck with looking at phone is deff becoming a problem . Look that ish up lol