Natural Supplements interactions with SSRI and SNRI

N

Neversummer

Awards
This is my first post here but I have been a long time lurker. I have been lifting for many years on and off, never really consistent. I was very constant starting two years ago but had a bad injury from a car accident and took a year off, probably only needed 6-8 months but it was hard to get back into it after being off. Anyways I’ve been very consistent for the last 8 months and have really picked Up the intensity. I have been having some trouble with lean gains in the last 2-3 months, I have plenty of room for muscle gain and could probably loose 15lbs of fat. So I think a natural supplement would be worth a try to get me over this hurdle

My only apprehension would be a negative interaction with my SNRI that I am prescribed due to neuropathy from a injury and mild anxiety. I am on a very low dose and it helps a lot. I had an episode many years ago of serotonin syndrome/toxicity with tramadrol and 5HTP and it was a terrible experience and I would never want to go through that again. I know a lot of these natural supplements do affect serotoninIn some way or another. Does anyone have experience with the below examples and an SSRI or SNRI? Am I being overly cautious?

BMP
Epi
ARA
Foildrone
AE
Vector
Ep1logue

Thanks again for the help guys!

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have experience with all these supplements except for ARA, and I have been on Prozac for many years. You should be fine with any of them, except I would be cautious and actually not recommend BMP with SSRIs/SNRIs.

My depression/anxiety got really bad when I recently used ~6 bottles of BMP in a row alongside my Prozac. I didn’t attribute it to the BMP at first, so I actually stuck that out and changed my antidepressant to Wellbutrin for a bit- which also didn’t pan out well. Once I decided to stop BMP, things returned to normal. It was likely from the high salidroside Rhodiola coupled with the additional absorption enhancers. There have been reports from other members exeriencing lethargy and anxiety as well- but I’m not sure if they were also on any antidepressants.

Hope that helps!

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do and have had no problems with any of the most of them combined but BMP may not agree with you...just as mentioned above.

N

Neversummer

Awards
Thanks for the responses guys! That’s alittle disappointing since I was thinking of trying the BMP first. I guess I will try the AE first

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've been on 20mg Lexapro once daily for five years now. I have had no issues with any supplements I have taken in that time. I avoid anything with kanna(Sceletium extract) because of its effects on serotonin. The branded Kannaease extract has become very popular over the last few years.

The more dangerous interactions are recreational drugs such as MDMA(ecstacy) and other amphetamine derivatives, Dextromethorphan(DXM) found in most cough medicine, and interactions with other prescription drug. Of course you should be seeing a doctor for the latter atleast.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This is my first post here but I have been a long time lurker. I have been lifting for many years on and off, never really consistent. I was very constant starting two years ago but had a bad injury from a car accident and took a year off, probably only needed 6-8 months but it was hard to get back into it after being off. Anyways I’ve been very consistent for the last 8 months and have really picked Up the intensity. I have been having some trouble with lean gains in the last 2-3 months, I have plenty of room for muscle gain and could probably loose 15lbs of fat. So I think a natural supplement would be worth a try to get me over this hurdle

My only apprehension would be a negative interaction with my SNRI that I am prescribed due to neuropathy from a injury and mild anxiety. I am on a very low dose and it helps a lot. I had an episode many years ago of serotonin syndrome/toxicity with tramadrol and 5HTP and it was a terrible experience and I would never want to go through that again. I know a lot of these natural supplements do affect serotoninIn some way or another. Does anyone have experience with the below examples and an SSRI or SNRI? Am I being overly cautious?

BMP
Epi
ARA
Foildrone
AE
Vector
Ep1logue

Thanks again for the help guys!
strong 1st post, brother...welcome to AM

N

Neversummer

Awards
How about any experience with test boosters with KSM66. I know some people use this for anxiety and depression. Does it add to the effects Or interact with the SSRIs

I am looking at M-Test

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How about any experience with test boosters with KSM66. I know some people use this for anxiety and depression. Does it add to the effects Or interact with the SSRIs

I am looking at M-Test
I have never had a negative experience taking KSM-66 products with Prozac. It doesn’t effect neurotransmitters nearly to the same level as something like Rhodiola extracts. Some people aren’t all that enthusiastic at KSM-66, but it’s generally well tolerated and something that is quite benign to experiment with.

J

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I am looking at M-Test
According to examine.com, "Ashwagandha may reduce obsessive behaviours, and appears to be synergistic with the tested SSRI (fluoxetine)". The study was done in mice but still, it seems to indicate they might go well together.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I am looking at M-Test
I've been on Lexapro for a few years and I find that KSM-66 compliments the anti-anxiety effects quite nicely. M-Test is hands-down one of my favorite supps. I've even kept cycling it now that I'm on TRT, if only for the mood boost.

N

Neversummer

Awards
Does anyone have any experience with SSRI/SNRI’s and yohimbine and alpha yohimbine? I have taken it myself in low doses for a few days but after some research it may interact with serotonin levels.

Just wondering if it will hurt to continue?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Does anyone have any experience with SSRI/SNRI’s and yohimbine and alpha yohimbine? I have taken it myself in low doses for a few days but after some research it may interact with serotonin levels.

Just wondering if it will hurt to continue?
Yohombine is anxiogenic, meaning it increases feelings of anxiety. There has been research where they combined yohimbine with fluoxetine ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15010697/) and found the combination actually improved the anti depressant effect, however that's something you might need to have a chat to your doc about.

Last edited: