My grip keeps holding me back on sumo/sumo romanian deadlifts

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So the most I ever got on deadlifts was doing sumo style and I got 405 for just one rep. I trained and trained and still kept coming back to 405 for one rep. So, I decided to switch it up and do sumo romanian deadlifts. Well, to pout it simply, I have flat feet and I'm in my early 30s. I just want to either make it to 405 for a set of 3, or the equivalent to 405 for a set of 3, which I believe would be 335 for a set of 8 on the sumo romanian deadlifts, starting with the first rep off the floor. Anyway, last week I did 335 and could only do 1 rep before I dropped the bar, this week I was able to do barely 3 reps than my right hand couldn't take the weight. I have no pain, or issues with my back, or anything. It is simply my grip. I am doing double overhand, but with grip gloves. Double overhand feels more comfortable than mixed grip. Any advise? I've been so close to my goal many times, yet can't seem to reach it.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah use straps and do static holds after dead’s. Also use a mixed grip and chalk or learn to do a snatch grip when using no straps. I always train with straps and can pull a max single any time without them no problem.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah use straps and do static holds after dead’s. Also use a mixed grip and chalk or learn to do a snatch grip when using no straps. I always train with straps and can pull a max single any time without them no problem.
Any advise on which kind of straps? I actually do have straps, but they are too thick to really use for deadlifter. I bought the Rogue ultra thick straps years ago. Also, just to clarify, when I wrote grip gloves, I meant like these
Not the same brand, but you get the idea. Also, I can't use calk because I deadlift in my living room and it's close to electronic equipment, like my internet router.

NGtrains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I’d work in improving my grip, but if you don’t want to do that just get some figure 8s and call it a day

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This but think he means hook grip not snatch grip.

Mike T had a good protocol I used back in the day to fix my grip. If it’s deads specifically that they give out train them. Start at a certain weight and hold a static hold for up to 20s. If you can do that then next session with deads do 5-10lbs more adding weight each session you can hit time measure. You can add that in on top of your normal work.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This but think he means hook grip not snatch grip.

Mike T had a good protocol I used back in the day to fix my grip. If it’s deads specifically that they give out train them. Start at a certain weight and hold a static hold for up to 20s. If you can do that then next session with deads do 5-10lbs more adding weight each session you can hit time measure. You can add that in on top of your normal work.
Good catch and yeah I ment to say hey hook grip. Can be painful to learn but works well for some. I personally do the static holds as well.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Any advise on which kind of straps?
It sounds like you're almost there, so any bit of help should do the trick. You can get those speed straps from Rogue for less than $20, but I'm sure there are cheaper versions out there. Aside from that, as others have said, try static holds and rack pulls to let your grip catch up to the rest.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
1.use straps.
2.Grab the 100 pound dumbbells and walk around or just shrug them.
3. Heavy rack pulls.
4. Mixed grip makes it so the bad doesn’t just roll out of your finger tips
5. Hit back more because back days build your grip strength
7. Go on the pull-up bar and hold yourself up there for as long as possible, u can do this weighted too. Don’t even do pull-ups just throw 90 pounds on your waist and hold yourself there as long as you can.
8. Hammer curls
9.Use straps
This is like the best advice you can get

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It sounds like you're almost there, so any bit of help should do the trick. You can get those speed straps from Rogue for less than $20, but I'm sure there are cheaper versions out there. Aside from that, as others have said, try static holds and rack pulls to let your grip catch up to the rest.
Harbinger is cheap and they work too

Rack pulls are the key

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
True. I've seen several variations, but they all seem to do the same thing.
Pretty much lol. Forgive me , but I can’t justify spending more than 30$ on wraps or straps lol . Over 20 is pushing it. My harbinger wrist wraps are still going strong too

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Update: I did it guys! Thank you. I got some straps and got 8 reps my first try. It was still hard to do, but I got it done. I forgot to mention, that where I grip the bar, there is no texturing and I don't have the money right now for a deadlift style bar with the texturing all the way through. That being said, I have been doing static holds, with less weight, even with having to grip where there is no texturing. I was able to do two sets of static holds with 285 for about 12 seconds.

Doss

Doss

Awards
  • Established
Ed Coan has a great grip strength builder that I've had good results with.

Here's the link and jump to the 8:40 mark for the details. Good video all around if you've got time for a watch and haven't seen it.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ed Coan has a great grip strength builder that I've had good results with.

Here's the link and jump to the 8:40 mark for the details. Good video all around if you've got time for a watch and haven't seen it.
Link not showing up