My Dog Died Yesterday

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
One of my dogs I’ve had for 15 years died yesterday. This is way harder than I thought it would be. We knew he was on his way for the past year, but that’s not making it any easier. That’s all I got for now.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How long ago did he go?
Man, it's been a long time. That was about 20 years ago. I wish I could tell you it gets better but man, I still miss him. They give you everything while they're here but they take a piece of your heart with them when they go. It does get easier though even if it still hurts... if that makes any sense.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sorry for the loss bro

losing a life is never easy .. only time heals death hang in there and keep your mind occupied with other things.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So sorry man. We lost our family dog when he was only 7. He just got real lethargic and RBC’s tanked and white blood cells though the roof. They assumed cancer or infection. We put him down July 3rd. Last year. Still miss him a ton. Try to focus on all the good times you had together.IMG_5374.JPG

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So sorry for your loss. Like others said, the pain doesn't go away, but the day to day gets easier.

DadBodHero

Awards
I’m sorry for your loss, this one really hits me hard in the feels. I have lost a few dogs over the years, mine were pitbulls too. My dogs are always family, so when they pass it’s like losing a close family member or friend, hurts like crazy. I always take some solace in the fact that the pain you feel is because of the real love that was there when they were alive, the pain you feel when they go reinforces the fact that there was genuine love there. You will always miss your buddy, but that love you had for him will find it’s way back into your life. I wish you the best as you grieve.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry for your loss.. we actually took our oldest black lab (Wrigley) in yesterday. Seemed her hip blew out, we went in expecting the worse, but her old butt is ok . She's almost 13

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
God bless man this is heartbreaking. Losing a companion. My family dog passed away a couple years ago and I still have dreams about her which wake me up in the morning. She was a rhodesian ridgeback and lived to protect.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
last month was one year since i lost my best friend SID. he was 20 years old and had a stroke, he knew it was time. i held him in my lap and he went limp before the meds were all in. it broke my heart. at least now i can talk about him without crying like a teen aged girl.

@GreenMachineX i feel your pain.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think the worst part is not being there when he passed. I just hope that he went while he was sleeping and not struggling to get up to find us or something. Im struggling with guilt that I should’ve spent more time with him these past couple years as life got busier.

And again...thanks to everyone who responded and your support. This has hit me a lot harder than even my kids and wife.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think the worst part is not being there when he passed. I just hope that he went while he was sleeping and not struggling to get up to find us or something. Im struggling with guilt that I should’ve spent more time with him these past couple years as life got busier.

And again...thanks to everyone who responded and your support. This has hit me a lot harder than even my kids and wife.
There's no amount of time you could have spent together that would have made him immortal, right? Those things you were busy with benefited him and the rest of his/your family and he knew that on some level. Dogs/wolves do spend chunks of time with different sub-groups of the pack and one member may not see another for a while. They are adapted for this; he was OK, I promise.

IME, animals tend to know when their time is near and their instinct is generally that they don't want to burden the rest of the pack; they tend try to find a quiet corner or comfortable place and let nature take its course.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There's no amount of time you could have spent together that would have made him immortal, right? Those things you were busy with benefited him and the rest of his/your family and he knew that on some level. Dogs/wolves do spend chunks of time with different sub-groups of the pack and one member may not see another for a while. They are adapted for this; he was OK, I promise.

IME, animals tend to know when their time is near and their instinct is generally that they don't want to burden the rest of the pack; they tend try to find a quiet corner or comfortable place and let nature take its course.
All good points; now getting the feelings to match the rational thoughts Might take some time...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

it will take some time....tell your wife and kids you love them.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well, I’m not a wreck the whole day anymore which is great. I just get triggered randomly throughout the day. So, yes, doing better. I definitely appreciate you following up.
i told you i feel your pain, i was a total mess after i lost my sid. i know how tough it is!!!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had to have my Chocolate Lab, Cole, put down almost three years ago.

I was blessed to have him as a huge part of my life - for over 12 years. He was a fine and regal companion. We went through a lot together, side by side. At the time I was going through my divorce, he was going through a loss of his own (it was the first time he was separated from his litter mate sister, our other dog, who my mess of an ex-wife took). I believe during that time, our already strong bond - became even stronger. He became my 115 lb lap dog.

When it became apparent that he was suffering, I took him to a vet and I stayed with him to the end. He died peacefully with his head resting on my lap. I did the right thing, but hated doing it.

I am not a crier. But, I cried almost all day that day. Yet somehow, from that point on, I've only thought about how great he was and how much I loved him. I've thought and felt only good things.

The pain we feel is because we were lucky enough to have a pet that loved us unconditionally, day in and day out. The pain is a sense of loss of not having someone in our lives that we want to still have with us. Here is hoping that the pain you feel will be replaced by a lifetime of great memories.

Regards,

Beau

Last edited:
GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So. It’s been about 6 months and while the day to day is much easier, I still get triggered every so often (like today) which reminded me of this thread. It’s good to have a place like this.

oli

oli

Awards
  • Established
Very sorry for your loss.. I got a 7 yr old corgi/lab that means the world to me and I'm sure yours was the same to you. We were/are all blessed to have our 4 legged companions for the time they're here. I hope it gets better for you..

My little monster:
1594147171957.jpg

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Very sorry for your loss.. I got a 7 yr old corgi/lab that means the world to me and I'm sure yours was the same to you. We were/are all blessed to have our 4 legged companions for the time they're here. I hope it gets better for you..

My little monster:
View attachment 200223
Bro this dog is super cute and I’ve never seen such a distinct lab look with such short legs haha!

oli

oli

Awards
  • Established
Bro this dog is super cute and I’ve never seen such a distinct lab look with such short legs haha!
Thank you!! My neighbor told me what he could be, because he has an even smaller one than mines! Lol! Darned thing looked like a baby seal - had the shortest legs ever! He's like a midget, bow-leggwd up front and he's shorter than knee height =D

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So. It’s been about 6 months and while the day to day is much easier, I still get triggered every so often (like today) which reminded me of this thread. It’s good to have a place like this.
i have learned to smile and remember the good times when i look at one of numerous pictures of my friend SID i have throughout my house. it took quite some time to get over fighting off tears....tbh i cried like a teenaged girl dumped on prom night for longer than i care to admit--broke me down!!!

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My current wife and I ha e been together for 7 years. We had to put down her lab a few almost 5 years ago. About four years ago we rescued a pit. Then rescued another a few months later. Pits are wonderful dogs and get such a bad rap. Losing a dog can be so hard. I dread the day our two pits go. It’s going to be awful.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My current wife and I ha e been together for 7 years. We had to put down her lab a few almost 5 years ago. About four years ago we rescued a pit. Then rescued another a few months later. Pits are wonderful dogs and get such a bad rap. Losing a dog can be so hard. I dread the day our two pits go. It’s going to be awful.
just enjoy today!!!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
We did the same thing with our 2, and they were born just a few months apart. I still have this girl, but she’s lost a good bit of weight and we can tell, the time is near. ☹

Attachments

Bigmatt57

Bigmatt57

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That’s the worst part of owning a dog, I just found out my 13 year old pit bull has cancer. Been giving him some natural supplements hopefully could potentially help. He is still the most active/puppy-like 13 year old dog I’ve ever seen. Still take him on long walks everyday which he loves. Also swims almost everyday. Honestly though I’m not sure he will live long enough for the cancer to kill him. He’s had the cancer lump on his stomach for psshh like 3-4 years now. He had went to the vet for it when I first noticed it and they just said it was a non-cancerous lipoma. Then he had surgery on a lipoma on his face last month and they did a biopsy on his stomach lipoma and confirmed it’s cancer. I haven’t been to concerned though because he’s had it for years and never has affected him.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That’s the worst part of owning a dog, I just found out my 13 year old pit bull has cancer. Been giving him some natural supplements hopefully could potentially help. He is still the most active/puppy-like 13 year old dog I’ve ever seen. Still take him on long walks everyday which he loves. Also swims almost everyday. Honestly though I’m not sure he will live long enough for the cancer to kill him. He’s had the cancer lump on his stomach for psshh like 3-4 years now. He had went to the vet for it when I first noticed it and they just said it was a non-cancerous lipoma. Then he had surgery on a lipoma on his face last month and they did a biopsy on his stomach lipoma and confirmed it’s cancer. I haven’t been to concerned though because he’s had it for years and never has affected him.
that is heavy stuff...enjoy every minute you have with him!!!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Last year around this time we had to put our dog down. It was really horrific when our kids realized and understood what was happening.

And now, a few hours ago, our cat was ran over by a speeding car as the kids and I were setting up t-ball in the front yard. They absolutely freaked out when they saw him laying in the road. That cat was incredibly attached to my oldest and sat on his lap and slept with him daily.

Thanks for letting me use this thread to post this.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Last year around this time we had to put our dog down. It was really horrific when our kids realized and understood what was happening.

And now, a few hours ago, our cat was ran over by a speeding car as the kids and I were setting up t-ball in the front yard. They absolutely freaked out when they saw him laying dead in the road. That cat was incredibly attached to my oldest and sat on his lap and slept with him daily.

Here's the two of them20180904_174916_compress24.jpeg

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

And now, a few hours ago, our cat was ran over by a speeding car as the kids and I were setting up t-ball in the front yard. They absolutely freaked out when they saw him laying in the road. That cat was incredibly attached to my oldest and sat on his lap and slept with him daily.

Damn sorry for your loss

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
We did the same thing with our 2, and they were born just a few months apart. I still have this girl, but she’s lost a good bit of weight and we can tell, the time is near. ☹
Well, Zena's time came yesterday. At least this time I was there with her at the end and she went peacefully. I miss her already though.

jtbull

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry for your loss. I lost my Golden Retriever in 2016. Almost 5 years this month. He was like a son to me and a great dog. He got a clean bill of health 2 weeks before so the vet was shocked, He was playful that night and nothing seemed wrong. I will never forget the way my wife screamed when she reached down by her side the bed and screamed his name.

Next to my mother and father passing I never cried so much. I found this song after and it helped me. It is a religious connotation to it. There also are a couple other songs that i listened to

dillface02241

dillface02241

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Yeah man it's weird, I've had uncles, aunts, friends, etc die and it really never hit me emotionally, never even got close to crying. But when my dog passed, it was water works and a bad time

Power-Lift

Power-Lift

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sorry to hear, us dog (animal) lovers go thru this often, and it always hurts...
We lost 3 over the last 4 years. My big dog Max was 13, a full life. Luna we only had for 9 months (Female Pit) she had a heart attack and died last Xmas morning. We rescued another female Pit (Olive) she died after 2 years from Lyme/Kidney failure. (Sometimes its the luck of the draw with rescues, their health and their backgrounds). We rescued a new guy (Buddy) he's 4 or 5 and we're hoping for a good 8 years w/ him (I hope)...

Attachments

dillface02241

dillface02241

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to hear, us dog (animal) lovers go thru this often, and it always hurts...
We lost 3 over the last 4 years. My big dog Max was 13, a full life. Luna we only had for 9 months (Female Pit) she had a heart attack and died last Xmas morning. We rescued another female Pit (Olive) she died after 2 years from Lyme/Kidney failure. (Sometimes its the luck of the draw with rescues, their health and their backgrounds). We rescued a new guy (Buddy) he's 4 or 5 and we're hoping for a good 8 years w/ him (I hope)...
I had my pit for 17 years. Even the doc said it was a miracle, their lifespan is like 8-12 years or something like that.