Multi + biotin dangerous combo?

muchstronger2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would really like to take my multi in the morning, and some 5000mcg biotin in the evening for hair health.

Not together in the morning as b5 and biotin compete for absorbtion.

But more than non-efficient, it could be dangerous to take them on the same day??

Look at this!

Life-threatening eosinophilic pleuropericardial effusion related to vitamins B5 and H. - PubMed - NCBI

I have no idea what dosage they are talking about that led to this life-threatening condition.

Would you say it's safe to take multi in the morning along with biotin in the evening (5000mcg / 1600% daily needs)?

NB: my multi contains 200% of B5 daily needs

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I don't see it being an issue at all. Vitamin B is water soluble, so if you are taking more than your body needs you will just pee it out. Its difficult to OD on vitamin B. I think adding 5mg on top of a multi vitamin is excessive, but its not going to hurt you. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water, but don't expect to see a massive difference by taking an excessive amount of Biotin.

More isn't always better, and if your body doesn't use or can't absorb it, you're literally pissing away your money.

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I don't see it being an issue at all. Vitamin B is water soluble, so if you are taking more than your body needs you will just pee it out. Its difficult to OD on vitamin B. I think adding 5mg on top of a multi vitamin is excessive, but its not going to hurt you. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water, but don't expect to see a massive difference by taking an excessive amount of Biotin.

More isn't always better, and if your body doesn't use or can't absorb it, you're literally pissing away your money.
This. Drink enough water and you'll just excrete excess in urine (for the most part).

@ OP, Why do you feel the need to mega-dose B5 anyway? Just because it is competing for absorption with your biotin? Honestly man, its not really needed.