Mucuna Pruriens - optimal L-DOPA extract % for motivation boost / prolactin bust?

conkertheking

Awards
  • Established
My next cycle is going to be a combination of BLR's Letrone and a prolactin inhibiting supplement in order to try and get my LH and testosterone up from where they are now, at the bare minimum amount to aboid being classed as shut down. I've seen many, many arguments about Mucuna Pruriens and how much L-DOPA you want as a percentage of an extract - some arguing to go for 99%, while others argue that because Mucuna seems to have other, unknown compounds which aid the L-DOPA in crossing the blood-brain barrier and/or help to reduce prolactin in other ways, that one should use an extract which is less refined.

To that end, and because a 99% L-DOPA extract didn't work for me before in lowering prolactin (although it did achieve a substantial motivation boost) I've been looking at other options. I've found one supplement vendor who sells Mucuna Pruriens refined to a 50% L-DOPA extract. I've seen other products, such as Activate Xtreme, which actually use more than one extract (in that case, 99% and 20% in the same product) in order to attempt the best of both worlds.

To anyone who knows about this compound and its prolactin inhibiting effects, what do ye think? At the moment I'm leaning strongly towards the 50% L-DOPA extract. Would this be sufficient in terms of the other, unknown compounds doing their work vs a high enough percentage of L-DOPA to actually make a difference in the prolactin/dopamine balance?

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
how much zinc was in your diet

conkertheking

Awards
  • Established
how much zinc was in your diet
A lot, not even including the 30mg zinc gluconate supp I was taking every night and my multivitamin which had 15mg... Zinc deficiency definitely isn't my issue, I don't have any other symptoms of it.

What I'm wondering though is, is a 50% mucuna extract of L-DOPA enough to hit prolactin while simultaneously still having enough non l-dopa mucuna to aid absorption?

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
Did you try taking the Mucuna with green tea extract? Makes a big difference in my opinion.

conkertheking

Awards
  • Established
Did you try taking the Mucuna with green tea extract? Makes a big difference in my opinion.
When I was taking the 99% extract I did indeed, my theory is that I may have been deficient in vitamin B6 at the time since I dropped ZMA at exactly the time I started the extract.

However, I have read from several other sources that there seems to be something else in the mucuna which amplifies the dopaminergic effect, hence why I'm looking into experimenting with other extracts.

The one I'm looking at suggests either a 100mg or 200mg dose, which works out at either 50mg of 100mg of L-DOPA per dose along with either 50mg or 100mg of Mucuna.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
it does, but doesn't really answer his question- shty man, sorry

did you ask judojosh? would love to see if he knows

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
look into inhibit-p...p5p and vitex are excellent for reducing prolactin and you get 60% macuna as a added bonus!!! and it's under $20!!!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
look into inhibit-p...p5p and vitex are excellent for reducing prolactin and you get 60% macuna as a added bonus!!! and it's under $20!!!
Thai is my go-to. I've used both inhibit p and prolactrone and saw the same effects, just a big price difference.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thai is my go-to. I've used both inhibit p and prolactrone and saw the same effects, just a big price difference.
inhibit-p and inhibit-e are a great combo...I don't know why SNS doesn't market them together?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
inhibit-p and inhibit-e are a great combo...I don't know why SNS doesn't market them together?
More so just that people ask for specific recommendations. Personally I like both as both have proven effective but some cycles/pcts just don't require both and we don't try to over market just to shill.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
More so just that people ask for specific recommendations. Personally I like both as both have proven effective but some cycles/pcts just don't require both and we don't try to over market just to shill.
I like that SNS stays low key....but it just makes sense to market them together-no shill at all, imo.

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
Maybe just a combo deal would be cool. I like the fact that SNS does not have to hype their products, they just work period

ironranger

ironranger

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wish you could still get bulk 1-Carboxy. NP used to sell it. Great inclusion during PCT, vivid dreams, morning wood

Not sure if it was just l-dopa, or a derivative??? whatever it was it worked...

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
We have marketing inhibit P and E to a certain degree and thanks for the love in here.

Yeah, inhibit P would be a good choice OP if L-Dopa didn't have desirable results.

Honestly speaking, DopaDex is the best l dopa product I've tried to date. For your case it does seem that inhibit P is a good choice.

conkertheking

Awards
  • Established
Trouble is, I've yet to find a UK / EU retailer for Inhibit P, and supplements from the U.S. get held up for so long at Irish customs that I may as well grow my own Mucuna and extract it myself

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I wish you could still get bulk 1-Carboxy. NP used to sell it.
1-carboxy-2-amino-3-pyrobenzol(3,4 diol) is another name for L-Dopa. That's what it was called on the 'PowerFull' label.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Trouble is, I've yet to find a UK / EU retailer for Inhibit P, and supplements from the U.S. get held up for so long at Irish customs that I may as well grow my own Mucuna and extract it myself
mod edit: nope

sprintsss

Banned
Awards
How did a educated discussion turn into a SNS promotion thread with no real reason behind promoting the product other than "it worked for me" smh

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
How did a educated discussion turn into a SNS promotion thread with no real reason behind promoting the product other than "it worked for me" smh
I wouldn't call it a promotion thread... A product suggestion was asked for, proposed, discussed, and asked for a source to buy... And anecdotal experience is part of what was asked for so ya. That's why.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
because that's how I roll...if a product works well for me I recommend it to others-I like to think that is an important part of a forum, 1st hand experience being shared!!! if all you want is studies go to google, what do you need a forum for!!!

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In my entire time here, I feel like SNS reps don't even exist, in the sense that they never annoyingly shill anything of theirs. A non SNS rep posted that he liked an SNS product, so I don't really see how SNS is at fault for someone liking their products.

Daycrawler

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the kind words but no need to derail the thread.

As for OP, there's a handful of good l-dopa products. As I said in another post, DopaDex is a quality one that I've used in the past.

If you're interested in l-dopa plus extra good stuff, check out inhibit-p. There are a bunch of threads here on AM about it, and people's opinions about it.

conkertheking

Awards
  • Established
So I take it no one actually knows about Mucuna's other constituents or how high an extract I should actually be going for?

It's no use throwing product names at me here, believe me I've done plenty of research but when one lives in Ireland, any US supplement store is out. Shipping costs are exorbitant and customs holds up literally everything bodybuilding related for weeks on end. I'm going for bulk mucuna extract because it's readily available from Irish retailers, I just need to know how strong an extract I should be going for ;)

If anyone knows an EU based retailer for Inhibit-P that would be a different matter, but as I say, even though Inhibit-P is a cheap product, once you factor in international shipping from the US it becomes more expensive than a two month supply of MRP powder!

conkertheking

Awards
  • Established
So I take it no one actually knows about Mucuna's other constituents or how high an extract I should actually be going for?

It's no use throwing product names at me here, believe me I've done plenty of research but when one lives in Ireland, any US supplement store is out. Shipping costs are exorbitant and customs holds up literally everything bodybuilding related for weeks on end. I'm going for bulk mucuna extract because it's readily available from Irish retailers, I just need to know how strong an extract I should be going for ;)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I would want the highest percentage L-Dopa I could get. If it's an extract (as opposed to just ground up bean) it's targeted to L-Dopa only. Why not take 150mg of 98% vs 1500mg of 10%? As far as anything else in it, what else here are you looking for?:

Mucuna Pruriens contains:

L-DOPA, or Levodopa, the precursor to dopamine and seen as the main constituent[5] and eventually adrenaline. The three catecholamines are also present in Mucuna[6]

Nicotinic Acid[7]

Tetrahydroisoquinoline alkaloids in dosages of 8-24mg/500g dried milled seeds, which may have interactions with u-opioid receptors based on their structures.[8]

Serotonin and its precursor, 5-HTP

NN-dimethyltryptamine and 5-MeO-dimethyltryptamine (bufotenin) in the seed.[9]

Beta-Carboline[10]

Mucunain, a compound that causes itches when skin comes into contact with Mucuna species

Various saponins, anthraquinones, flavonoids, terpenoids, cardiac glycosides and tannins[1]

A glycoprotein inhibitor of protein digestive enzymes[11]

Behenic Acid, a dietary fatty acid with low bioavailability[12]

In the cotyledon of the plant, CoQ10 and Nicotine adenine Dinucleotide (NADH).[7]

D-chiro Inositol (2.1+/-0.2mg/g) and two storage forms of it (galactose glycosides; 11.4 and 21.2mg/g), also myo-inositol (8.2+/-0.6)[13]

Basic dietary minerals in small amounts, such as Selenium, Iron and Magnesium[12]

conkertheking

Awards
  • Established
I would want the highest percentage L-Dopa I could get. If it's an extract (as opposed to just ground up bean) it's targeted to L-Dopa only. Why not take 150mg of 98% vs 1500mg of 10%? As far as anything else in it, what else here are you looking for?:

Mucuna Pruriens contains:

L-DOPA, or Levodopa, the precursor to dopamine and seen as the main constituent[5] and eventually adrenaline. The three catecholamines are also present in Mucuna[6]

Nicotinic Acid[7]

Tetrahydroisoquinoline alkaloids in dosages of 8-24mg/500g dried milled seeds, which may have interactions with u-opioid receptors based on their structures.[8]

Serotonin and its precursor, 5-HTP

NN-dimethyltryptamine and 5-MeO-dimethyltryptamine (bufotenin) in the seed.[9]

Beta-Carboline[10]

Mucunain, a compound that causes itches when skin comes into contact with Mucuna species

Various saponins, anthraquinones, flavonoids, terpenoids, cardiac glycosides and tannins[1]

A glycoprotein inhibitor of protein digestive enzymes[11]

Behenic Acid, a dietary fatty acid with low bioavailability[12]

In the cotyledon of the plant, CoQ10 and Nicotine adenine Dinucleotide (NADH).[7]

D-chiro Inositol (2.1+/-0.2mg/g) and two storage forms of it (galactose glycosides; 11.4 and 21.2mg/g), also myo-inositol (8.2+/-0.6)[13]

Basic dietary minerals in small amounts, such as Selenium, Iron and Magnesium[12]
Wow, I'll have to do a fair bit of research into all of these, thanks!
Again the reason I'm interested in a non 100% / 99% extract as an experiment is that I've seen it suggested that people have actually achieved a greater reduction in prolactin from such extracts, implying that one or more of the compounds listed above is also beneficial in the reduction thereof.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
conkertheking , just curious but is Irish customs this militant on all incoming packages from the US or just postmarked from certain companies? If just the latter, perhaps you can become pen pales with an SNS rep who'd be willing to send you a care packed shipped from their house ;-)

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Wow, I'll have to do a fair bit of research into all of these, thanks!
Again the reason I'm interested in a non 100% / 99% extract as an experiment is that I've seen it suggested that people have actually achieved a greater reduction in prolactin from such extracts, implying that one or more of the compounds listed above is also beneficial in the reduction thereof.
Any "Extract" is going to be targeted at L-Dopa - I highly doubt you'll ever be able to find out what else/if anything worthwhile is in a lower percentage extract. I'd just look for ground up bean powder if you want everything in the plant. Since you read their posts, why not just use what they used?

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established

If anyone knows an EU based retailer for Inhibit-P that would be a different matter, but as I say, even though Inhibit-P is a cheap product, once you factor in international shipping from the US it becomes more expensive than a two month supply of MRP powder!
Damn man, that sounds rough.

ironranger

ironranger

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1-carboxy-2-amino-3-pyrobenzol(3,4 diol) is another name for L-Dopa. That's what it was called on the 'PowerFull' label.
Back in the day I understood it to be an extract of 1-Carboxy??(L-dopa) USP Labs kept the exact composition of PowerFULL a secret??? would like to know more because the bulk powder was great...I have never been able to replicate the effects using other forms of L-dopa

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Back in the day I understood it to be an extract of 1-Carboxy??(L-dopa) USP Labs kept the exact composition of PowerFULL a secret??? would like to know more because the bulk powder was great...I have never been able to replicate the effects using other forms of L-dopa
I have no idea bud. Only 2 of the 15 had a "spike" in GH anyway (and does that even matter physiologically?), and IIRC they ran the tests twice, and it only happened 1 time. Just use MK-677.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

you could post up an ad in the for sale section, looking for inhibit p, I'm sure someone would hit you up. or you could look for the ingredients found in inhibit p, and possibly source them yourself.
when I look at those ingredients, I notice they aren't focusing soley on L-dopa for lowering prolactin, an instead are looking at other pathways that have been researched and studied.
just a heads up. then there is also the rx medication route, but I'm guessing you're not looking to go that route.?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
you could post up an ad in the for sale section, looking for inhibit p, I'm sure someone would hit you up. or you could look for the ingredients found in inhibit p, and possibly source them yourself.
when I look at those ingredients, I notice they aren't focusing soley on L-dopa for lowering prolactin, an instead are looking at other pathways that have been researched and studied.
just a heads up. then there is also the rx medication route, but I'm guessing you're not looking to go that route.?
you are correct..the real heavyweights in inhibit-p are p5p and vitex, the macuna is just a added bonus!!! I guess you could look for other sources for the ingredients found in inhibit-p, but since the quality of SNS ingredients are top notch and price is under $20 seems a time to go with a sure thing, rather than take a chance on inferior sources, imo!!!