Muay Thai and Losing Gains

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
AM,

im torn between 2 places. ive been training Muay Thai for a couple months now and at the beginning its hard to lift weights after becaese you legit cant do anything after a work out. your hands are numb, your body is weak like you have the flu and your legs are rubber. as expected, i lost some muscle but leaned up in the process. the only thing that maintained were some of my arm size and some of my size. i lost all quads and chest. good news is my puny calves grew because we are always moving and bouncing on them.. i was able to lift weights because there is a smal weight room next to where i train. when i move to this new Muay Thai gym, there are no weights. its strictly Muay thai and if afraid im going to lose everything that ive worked for. any thoughts on how to at least keep some STRENGTH/POWER while i train or im a screwed? do i have t chose between MT or weights? maybe every other day go back to my old gym and lift and cycle in and out of MT and the Gym? anyone else have the same issue when they are training something other than strictly for strength/hypertrophy?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey bro, I claim to know nothing about Muay Thai but I’ve definitely experienced issues gaining/keeping size whilst doing too much HIIT training.

IMO the starting point is making sure that you are taking in enough calories. I’m guessing the Muay Thai training is probably burning through quite a lot. If you ensure that your not in a calorie deficit it’s much less likely you’ll lose lean mass.

I’ve read various studies that show maintenance of existing muscle doesn’t actually require that much. One showed that one session a week was actually sufficient to avoid any significant losses - therefore I’d try to make the effort to do one full body routine once a week at another gym.

If that’s not an option I’d go for body weight stuff - callisthenics has built many decent physique so I’d suggest it could help maintain yours as well and providing variety away from weights.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
Hey bro, I claim to know nothing about Muay Thai but I’ve definitely experienced issues gaining/keeping size whilst doing too much HIIT training.

IMO the starting point is making sure that you are taking in enough calories. I’m guessing the Muay Thai training is probably burning through quite a lot. If you ensure that your not in a calorie deficit it’s much less likely you’ll lose lean mass.

I’ve read various studies that show maintenance of existing muscle doesn’t actually require that much. One showed that one session a week was actually sufficient to avoid any significant losses - therefore I’d try to make the effort to do one full body routine once a week at another gym.

If that’s not an option I’d go for body weight stuff - callisthenics has built many decent physique so I’d suggest it could help maintain yours as well and providing variety away from weights.

thanks Whisky looking to maybe focus on endurace for the time being. you know if cardinine would actually help in the MMA aspect?

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards

thanks Whisky looking to maybe focus on endurace for the time being. you know if cardinine would actually help in the MMA aspect?

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Some can have both, others cannot. I guess you know your body type? If you're a natural ecto (like I am) and have a thin disposition you'll always be fighting to keep gains. We all know guys who were built like a bber before they ever picked up a weight. They can train HIIT and cardio all day yet hold onto muscle easily. You may just have to strike a balance between both disciplines. To misquote Bruce Lee after being questioned about the size of a bber walking one the beach. "Yeah, he's big, but is he powerful?"

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Never used it bro but yeah cardinine is supposed to be the endurance weapon of choice when looking for additional support.......

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's cardarine. Not cardinine. I wouldn't use something you can't spell. Seriously not trying to be an ass but you guys are discussing a compound and you can't even spell it. Shows a lack of knowledge. Do more research

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I use to train heavy right before Muay Thai and it was exhausting, so I switched to training after or on off days and I was fine.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
how seriously do you plan on taking muay thai? I ask because most forms of martial arts/fighting have weight classes, so you're eventually going to have to make a choice. You can do both, but you can only do one to your best ability.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
It's cardarine. Not cardinine. I wouldn't use something you can't spell. Seriously not trying to be an ass but you guys are discussing a compound and you can't even spell it. Shows a lack of knowledge. Do more research
my bad "blockBuilder" im pretty sure the reason people are on this website is to help others and learn? correct? and forgive me for as it is kinda hard to do research from the middle of the ocean off the coast of Jordan on deployment. thanks for pointing out my spelling capabilities. i dont have spell check on a 10y/o computer so shine some light on cardArine. it takes about 25 minutes to load a page.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
how seriously do you plan on taking muay thai? I ask because most forms of martial arts/fighting have weight classes, so you're eventually going to have to make a choice. You can do both, but you can only do one to your best ability.
to be honest, im not sure yet. i highly enjoy the sport but i dont know if i want to be competitive yet. its to far away and not sure if my career will take over before training.

Bmac63095

Bmac63095

Awards
to be honest, im not sure yet. i highly enjoy the sport but i dont know if i want to be competitive yet. its to far away and not sure if my career will take over before training.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would just try and enjoy it for now then and not let it stress you out, which I know is often easier said than done. You can always do one or the other as a hobby.

jakz

jakz

Awards
  • Established
As said, just get enough calories and protein. If the may Thai is in the evening I would do mu weight training early mornings .

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
End of August I started kickboxing, my training schedule is as follows;

Monday to Friday early in the morning I do weights (Thanks to booneman77 for his training routine) and Monday/Wednesday afternoon KB.

It's not easy at all as on Saturday morning I like to go road cycling on top of all that.

Training legs is a painful mission with leg extensions to be the worst cause of all the kicking. Eventually (I hope) I will get used to it.

From next month I'll switch to Muay Thai and the trainer wants me to do also Friday afternoon but I will try to avoid it, somehow...

I've leaned up a bit, specially in legs and calves I can see more veins lol. I can't say I've lost alot of muscle during those months.

My calorie intake is 2800 with maintenance at 2550 but definitely need to raise it some more.

I'm not competitive and not looking to be, I'm doing it for fitness, stress release and of course cause I like it!

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You could try sipping on an intraworkout during Muay Thai. You could even do with more than one serving given the intensity. Also, I like to 'preload' my body with eaas etc like 5-10 minutes pre-workout

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You could try sipping on an intraworkout during Muay Thai. You could even do with more than one serving given the intensity. Also, I like to 'preload' my body with eaas etc like 5-10 minutes pre-workout
That's what I do, a serving of BCAA's in the morning and another one in the afternoon.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bumping an old post here, but for people who are still around, have you tried cordyceps to boost endurance training?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Bumping an old post here, but for people who are still around, have you tried cordyceps to boost endurance training?
I tried it with minimal results with fight training and cardio. Not worth it to me.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s becauae your not use to it. Once your body adjust to the new training you will be fine.