Unanswered Bodybuilding / Muay Thai split

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Starting a 3 month intensive cut, using this thread to put together my routine. I am starting Muay Thai kickboxing next month, something I've always been interested in doing, but I'm really doing this mainly as an outlet for aggression, to gain more focus/concentration, discipline and overall fitness/athleticism. Hoping to properly incorporate it into my bodybuilding routine, but I will likely change up my training. I've also been interested in trying out the RP diet (Renaissance Periodization) especially since I have the app, but might also follow the carb cycling for MMA fighters protocol. As a note, I am enhanced year round, so I'm not overly concerned with volume/workload being too high. I'm trying to really increase my work capacity here, and on a caloric deficit. Any tips, etc are welcome. Right now I am focused on forming a good cut routine, so likely fullbody 3x a week, with kickboxing 3 days as well.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would lift on different days or different times from your fight training for best results from both.

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll have fun, fight training have been my outlet since a kid and it’ll always be apart of my life.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would lift on different days or different times from your fight training for best results from both.

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll have fun, fight training have been my outlet since a kid and it’ll always be apart of my life.
Thanks, I should’ve been doing it my whole life. Really need the outlet. Thinking of trying a powerlifting routine alongside the fight training. Maybe 5/3/1.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks, I should’ve been doing it my whole life. Really need the outlet. Thinking of trying a powerlifting routine alongside the fight training. Maybe 5/3/1.
That’s what I do now, but, I’m not training for a fight anymore, if I was getting ready for a fight again I would keep the lifting (power lifting) to 2-3x a week, depending on how much time I have after all the fight&cardio training.

Lifting have to come second if you want to fight.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That’s what I do now, but, I’m not training for a fight anymore, if I was getting ready for a fight again I would keep the lifting (power lifting) to 2-3x a week, depending on how much time I have after all the fight&cardio training.

Lifting have to come second if you want to fight.
Yeah I won't be training to compete. Just as an outlet (and other benefits). Thinking of lifting 3x a week and Muay Thai 3x a week. Maybe 5/3/1 periodization bible method which I'm accustomed to, or maybe BBB.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I won't be training to compete. Just as an outlet (and other benefits). Thinking of lifting 3x a week and Muay Thai 3x a week. Maybe 5/3/1 periodization bible method which I'm accustomed to, or maybe BBB.
Ok, then It doesn’t matter too much, just have fun with your training. 5/3/1 should be good to keep strength and being explosive, make sure you stretch a little extra, you want to be able to kick ppl in the head you know 😜

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I train Muay Thai 1 day a week (90min) and Krav Maga 2 days (90 min each) and lift 4 days. I've been doing this for a long time, but when I first started, I definitely had to drop my resistance training down. Once recovery shortened, I was able to start adding in more days/volume. Now I use my gym time for progressive overload to focus on strength. Hypertrophy and lean gains have come through all the repetition and warm ups (lots of KB work) in MT and KM.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I train Muay Thai 1 day a week (90min) and Krav Maga 2 days (90 min each) and lift 4 days. I've been doing this for a long time, but when I first started, I definitely had to drop my resistance training down. Once recovery shortened, I was able to start adding in more days/volume. Now I use my gym time for progressive overload to focus on strength. Hypertrophy and lean gains have come through all the repetition and warm ups (lots of KB work) in MT and KM.
Thanks, I was hoping you'd chime in :) I'm actually considering dropping my gym membership completely for 3 months, and focusing on functional training from home while I begin to train in MT at the school. I have KBs, numerous rogue bands, and DBs at home. I think once I get used to the work capacity, and cut down a lot of weight this fall (doing an aggressive 20lbs cut by end of Dec from now), then I will likely start a powerbuilding template on top of training in MT 3x per week, and eat like a horse at that point.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, you can't discount the importance of fueling yourself here because weight will drop and recovery slowed if you don't readjust your maintenance intake.

Good luck!