Motivation

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
This is a topic that gets hammered the world over, on every forum, group, discussion in relation to basically all sports and bodybuilding/powerlifting/etc is no different, but I'm posting it anyways.

Over the years different things have motivated me. I would find my motivation struggle as my CNS gets hammered and my strength dwindles as does my mind. sometimes it's dietary and my carbs are off, I'm cutting too hard, too fast. sometimes it's work / life balance. sometimes it's just because I skipped a drastically needed deload. I admit it's often my fault, and taking that week off can bring back the fire in the belly.

It's been a little harder with COVID. I've also been in a committed relationship for a few years and recently got married. I'm not fat. I weighed in at 179 this morning but I am guessing I have at least 10lbs of atrophy as my washboard is not what it used to be at 179. relationship weight and complacency are certainly a thing.

Sometimes just habit helps. definitely the right music. But if I go through my routine:

Drink x amount of water during the day
Take my supplements at work during the day
Take my pre-workout on my way home
Then just changing. Once I put my knee wraps on and strap on my lifting shoes, my brain starts to get into "go time" mode, for the most part.
Sometimes I tell myself I don't need to PR today. In fact I don't have to squat 300 for my 3x5 today. just getting under the bar is a victory in itself and we'll let things progress.

IF i can get myself to stick to that simple routine all week then by the end of the week the fire starts to rebuild, the routine becomes habit, and slowly my motivation comes back.

I'd love to see, and would appreciate to hear from others, what motivates you. How do you stoke the fire when it wanes? how do you keep the hunger?
I'm grateful that good dietary habits and knowledge have kept me "lean" while I've drifted way from my former glory. But I still have a good push to make to get back to where I was. I crave that fire and hunger I had when I was 30. 38 this year, it's not Old by a long shot. But it's a lot different than when I was 29 and using Jack3d not knowing what the stuff actually was.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Progress motivates me, so that means i need a goal. Sounds simple enough, but life still gets in the way sometimes. Covid having me stuck doing home workouts for a while eventually broke me. It happens. Biggest thing to remember is its ok to stumble, just dont quit when you get off rhythm.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
yeah yeah man I agree and am the same. COVID has modified some things. we've been lucky to have some gym equipment at home but in regards to progress, I have brought back some running into my regiment and with the runkeeper app I'm able to track distances. I'm not big on running, but it's something to help with conditioning and it gives me little goals to chase. add a half mile, decrease my mile pace time, etc etc.