Mom needs help with Deadlifts!!!!

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
well my mom has asked for me to help her out at the gym cause she wants to get stronger and see's that I love my heavy weights. But her biggest problem is lower back pain and her Chiro. said no DL'ing or SQT'ing. I will have her use the Leg Press for now as her SQT. So my question is: what other moves can i use to help her with DL but not really DL'ing? any ideas will be great

thanks
DDS

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can she do Smith machine squats, or hack machine squats?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If she has lower back issues, stay the hell away from the Smith machine.

What's the reason from her chiro?

bigbruiser739

bigbruiser739

Awards
  • Established
If her Chiro said no DLing or Squating, you should be wary of leg press. Even with proper form, a lot of stress is added to the lower back.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I dont understand. Its not the workout that is bad for you, its the form and amount of weight used.

The best thing I ever did for my lower back was to train it, stretch it and always work on form with it. Learning how to arch ur back in the full range of a DL and deep squat requires flexibility, especially in the hip area. You dont need to go heavy with it though to get it stronger and bigger.

One thing I would recommend for her is upright cable pullovers, standing military press, planks and good mornings. Dont go heavy and be patient..

Reactions: dds
keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
I dont understand. Its not the workout that is bad for you, its the form and amount of weight used. The best thing I ever did for my lower back was to train it, stretch it and always work on form with it. Learning how to arch ur back in the full range of a DL and deep squat requires flexibility, especially in the hip area. You dont need to go heavy with it though to get it stronger and bigger. One thing I would recommend for her is upright cable pullovers, standing military press, planks and good mornings. Dont go heavy and be patient..
THIS^^^^^?

Shawn8315

Awards
Hip belt with vertical loading pin off of blocks. No compression on the spine.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
If she has lower back issues, stay the hell away from the Smith machine.

What's the reason from her chiro?
the smith machine soudl be burnd.........Sciatica pain., i taled to the chiro. (i see him also) and he said for her to keep a nuteral spine when performing these movements and to keep the weight light. so we talked more and he is ok with her Dl'ing with a trap bar set on block so she can slowly stretch/reach her way down in the future and pull from the floor, for SQT's he wants her to only do light goblet SQT's. so we will work her on this and see how she feels