Modafinil (Modalert) - First impressions

hbspeed88

hbspeed88

Awards
Haven't been posting on here lately due to my crazy busy new semester that started in January.

Just thought I'd share my first Modafinil experience that I had today.

I took 1/2 of a Modalert pill (~100mg) at around 8:30 in the morning. The effects came on strong after about 10-15mins on an empty stomach. I began to feel extremely happy and had that pleasant "tickle" in the front of my head (most likely from dopamine reuptake inhibition). I felt wide awake and alert, but without that "dilated pupil" and "edgy" feeling. My body was calm, but my brain felt like it was going mach 6, which was an interesting feeling. The effects persisted quite strongly for the first two hours. Around hour 3 the effects began to round out, with hour 4 tapering even more so. The effects were still there, but they weren't as intense. At around 12:30 (end of 4 hours), I began to feel a tad foggy and had a bit of a mood swing. I felt kinda like a robot; I was extremely spaced out as I was taking notes in my chemistry lecture. Thankfully that dip in my mood and state of being only lasted for about 45mins, where thereafter my mood/energy began to stabilize back to normal. It's around 4:30pm now (+8h), and I feel back to my normal physical and mental energy levels.

From this first experience I can assume that modafinil would be a great tool to use during times of heavy work loads or sleep deprivation. I just wanted to test how modafinil affected me today and didn't want to take it when I had a lot to do in case I had any adverse reactions. My day consisted mostly of walking around Michigan State's campus, taking lecture notes, and doing some lab work.

Chevy

Chevy

Awards
I bought modalert modafinal (pm me for source) just before Christmas when I needed to drive 18 hours straight to visit family.

I chose to start driving in the evening leaving about 5pm & arrived on schedule bout 11am next day. Travel included quick breaks for food & gas.

I didn't change my routine the day prior to leaving, I didn't allow any extra rest before the trip, I was banking on the modafinal to do as described my first time using BTW.

I took a full tablet straight up at 5pm (200mg). I didn't feel anything different but my mood was cheerful & I was very alert & focused. About 11pm I began to feel a little tired but I waited a further half hour when I was losing focus on the road so I took another full tab of 200mg. It took around 45min - 1hr before I regained full focus & cheerfulness like before. Around 6am I became drowsy again and since it took nearly an hour to take effect last time I took another full tab straight away which git me thru to my destination.

Tldr;
IMHO 200mg modafinal really works, clear focused & cheerful mood lasting about 5 hours, take 1 hour before needed as personally it took 45 mins to an hour to take effect.

No crash feeling from coming off even after having 600mg within 24 hours on 2 separate occasions. No crash on other days I've used either.

Effects are fairly subtle for me, I'm resistant to stims & most pre wo, but I could tell it help me stay alert & focused. Recommend it.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Modafinil at 200mg last about 10 hours for me, with the strongest part being in the first 4-5 hours, as would be expected with it having both the R and S enantiomers. I prefer Armodafinil as it is smoother and there isn't the initial rush, but rather a longer sustained lift.

hbspeed88

hbspeed88

Awards
Thanks for sharing! Modafinil seemed to be pretty strong for me even at 100mg. I was hoping that this was the case as it gives me more wiggle room in the future for eventually working up to a full 200mg+ dosage.
I bought modalert modafinal (pm me for source) just before Christmas when I needed to drive 18 hours straight to visit family.

I chose to start driving in the evening leaving about 5pm & arrived on schedule bout 11am next day. Travel included quick breaks for food & gas.

I didn't change my routine the day prior to leaving, I didn't allow any extra rest before the trip, I was banking on the modafinal to do as described my first time using BTW.

I took a full tablet straight up at 5pm (200mg). I didn't feel anything different but my mood was cheerful & I was very alert & focused. About 11pm I began to feel a little tired but I waited a further half hour when I was losing focus on the road so I took another full tab of 200mg. It took around 45min - 1hr before I regained full focus & cheerfulness like before. Around 6am I became drowsy again and since it took nearly an hour to take effect last time I took another full tab straight away which git me thru to my destination.

Tldr;
IMHO 200mg modafinal really works, clear focused & cheerful mood lasting about 5 hours, take 1 hour before needed as personally it took 45 mins to an hour to take effect.

No crash feeling from coming off even after having 600mg within 24 hours on 2 separate occasions. No crash on other days I've used either.

Effects are fairly subtle for me, I'm resistant to stims & most pre wo, but I could tell it help me stay alert & focused. Recommend it.

hbspeed88

hbspeed88

Awards
I plan on trying the R enantiomer next after I run R/S-modafinil a few more times! I've heard some good things about it.

Modafinil at 200mg last about 10 hours for me, with the stIrongest part being in the first 4-5 hours, as would be expected with it having both the R and S enantiomers. I prefer Armodafinil as it is smoother and there isn't the initial rush, but rather a longer sustained lift.

Chevy

Chevy

Awards
I plan on trying the R enantiomer next after I run R/S-modafinil a few more times! I've heard some good things about it.
My next purchase I plan on trying armodafinil also, expecting some good results.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I find that when I take Modafinil subligually it hits quicker and I can get away with a little smaller dose. Example is when I take 100mg orally it takes about 40mins to kick in and I need another small dose of 50mgs in the afternoon. When I take 100mgs subligually it kicks in 20mins and I don't need the second pick me up dose in the afternoon. I am currently using Modalert. I love the stuff for long productive work days. I have been using for once a week for the past 2 months. I do notice I feel pretty exhausted the next day after using it though.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I find that when I take Modafinil subligually it hits quicker and I can get away with a little smaller dose. Example is when I take 100mg orally it takes about 40mins to kick in and I need another small dose of 50mgs in the afternoon. When I take 100mgs subligually it kicks in 20mins and I don't need the second pick me up dose in the afternoon. I am currently using Modalert. I love the stuff for long productive work days. I have been using for once a week for the past 2 months. I do notice I feel pretty exhausted the next day after using it though.
Out of curiosity, and this is not based on any actual interaction between the ingredients/MOAs, but have you tried taking ornithine and/or glycine before bed on nights you take modafinil? Or some rhodiola the next day?

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had a script for it.. never to impressed. It makes me feel normal though when I would typically be very fatigued due to not sleeping with my cpap. Otherwise, on a regular day.. nothing special at 200mg.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Out of curiosity, and this is not based on any actual interaction between the ingredients/MOAs, but have you tried taking ornithine and/or glycine before bed on nights you take modafinil? Or some rhodiola the next day?
I have yet to try ornithine. I do take 600mg of magnesium + 2 grams of glycine + 350 mg Passion flower + 100 mg theanine pre-bed when I take Modafinil (actually I take this combo on most nights). I take caffeine (coffee) + rhodiola and KMS 66 in the morning and afternoon daily. It usually is very useful, but on days after I take Modafinil it is hard to shake the overall feeling of exhaustion.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I had a script for it.. never to impressed. It makes me feel normal though when I would typically be very fatigued due to not sleeping with my cpap. Otherwise, on a regular day.. nothing special at 200mg.
I really enjoy it. It is not overly stimulating. It just increases wakefulness, focus, alertness. It keeps me moving from task to task at work making me more productive. I do take it with a cup of coffee in the morning. The caffeine helps to bring out the effects of the Modafinil. I do keep a small amount of 100mg theanine, 200 mg magnesium and 250-500mg KMS 66 on hand on days I take Modafinil because I am susceptible to a bit of anxiety. That combo seems to knock out any anxiety that may come for me.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My package with OL Elix1r should be here any day now. I am definitely going to give it a try in the day after I take Modafinil. What do you think muscleupcrohn ?
You have tried it right? What are your thoughts on its effectiveness?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My package with OL Elix1r should be here any day now. I am definitely going to give it a try in the day after I take Modafinil. What do you think muscleupcrohn ?
You have tried it right? What are your thoughts on its effectiveness?
Yeah, I picked up a tub. As I've said, I use it primarily as a back up for times when I'm in a hurry or don't want to mix my own blend. It's a pretty solid formula. I like that it has ashwagandha, but when I take ash daily, I prefer to take a full 30mg/day withanolides. Granted, there is research showing reductions in anxiety/stress with lower doses (9mg/day withanolides), and ELIX1R has 10mg withanolides per serving (so it is doses effectively if not optimally), but many of the promising studies used the 30mg dose (including a cognitive study), and one even noted cognitive benefits and/or reaction time benefits (I don't recall exactly) with 100mg withanolides. So, while the inclusion of ash is nice, and can be of benefit, I still add extra adhwagandha to it. Granted, bacopa also has some anxiety reducing effects to compliment the ash, as well as memory benefits, but I'm a fan of higher dosed Ashwagandha if I'm going to use it.

As for the effects of ELIX1R, I'd say it's pretty nice. I do get a pretty good amount of clean energy, but nothing overwhelming or remarkable IMO. I do find it helps me to focus when doing work/research/reading, which is nice and can be very beneficial.

Before ELIX1R, when I didn't have my custom stack, I'd usually end up buying an energy drink, and this is much better than that. I don't feel that I'm doing myself a disservice taking ELIX1R like I do when I have an energy drink instead of my stack, but I still don't feel quite the same level of focus and mental stimulation as I do with my full custom stack (which I've been tweaking lately).

I do give ELIX1R two thumbs up, and it is probably my favorite nootropic supplement on the market ATM.

With that said, it doesn't give me quite the same level of focus and alertness as my normal stack, and doesn't last quite as long

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I picked up a tub. As I've said, I use it primarily as a back up for times when I'm in a hurry or don't want to mix my own blend. It's a pretty solid formula. I like that it has ashwagandha, but when I take ash daily, I prefer to take a full 30mg/day withanolides. Granted, there is research showing reductions in anxiety/stress with lower doses (9mg/day withanolides), and ELIX1R has 10mg withanolides per serving (so it is doses effectively if not optimally), but many of the promising studies used the 30mg dose (including a cognitive study), and one even noted cognitive benefits and/or reaction time benefits (I don't recall exactly) with 100mg withanolides. So, while the inclusion of ash is nice, and can be of benefit, I still add extra adhwagandha to it. Granted, bacopa also has some anxiety reducing effects to compliment the ash, as well as memory benefits, but I'm a fan of higher dosed Ashwagandha if I'm going to use it.

As for the effects of ELIX1R, I'd say it's pretty nice. I do get a pretty good amount of clean energy, but nothing overwhelming or remarkable IMO. I do find it helps me to focus when doing work/research/reading, which is nice and can be very beneficial.

Before ELIX1R, when I didn't have my custom stack, I'd usually end up buying an energy drink, and this is much better than that. I don't feel that I'm doing myself a disservice taking ELIX1R like I do when I have an energy drink instead of my stack, but I still don't feel quite the same level of focus and mental stimulation as I do with my full custom stack (which I've been tweaking lately).

I do give ELIX1R two thumbs up, and it is probably my favorite nootropic supplement on the market ATM.

With that said, it doesn't give me quite the same level of focus and alertness as my normal stack, and doesn't last quite as long
I appreciate the feedback! I plan on adding rhodiola and a little theanine when I take Elix1r and now since you mention it maybe a small 250mg of KMS-66. Thanks again, I will play with it a little and let you know how it goes for me.

Edit: the first time I try it I will try it solo to give the product a fair shot on its own, but I plan on adding in the others I mentioned after that.

C

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really enjoy it. It is not overly stimulating. It just increases wakefulness, focus, alertness. It keeps me moving from task to task at work making me more productive. I do take it with a cup of coffee in the morning. The caffeine helps to bring out the effects of the Modafinil. I do keep a small amount of 100mg theanine, 200 mg magnesium and 250-500mg KMS 66 on hand on days I take Modafinil because I am susceptible to a bit of anxiety. That combo seems to knock out any anxiety that may come for me.

My go to, when I get little sleep and need to try far and have a long day,

300mg Adrafinil
1/2 Dexparine
200mg L-Theanine

I'm rocked, wired, and focused lol

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established

300mg Adrafinil
1/2 Dexparine
200mg L-Theanine

I was just looking into adrafinil. I know dexaprine is STRONG stuff, have you tried the adrafinil solo? If so how is it by itself?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was just looking into adrafinil. I know dexaprine is STRONG stuff, have you tried the adrafinil solo? If so how is it by itself?
For what it's worth, I noticed nothing from 300mg Adrafinil. Granted, I've only tried it once (alone with nothing else), but it didn't really do much for me. I haven't tried Modafinil, but I did enjoy 100mg flmodafinil the only time I've tried it, although the lack of research and data on it keeps me from using it farther ATM.

R

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
^ thanks for the info. I've kind of read mixed reviews on adrafinil so I was on the fence about ordering any. Appreciate the input

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

300mg Adrafinil
1/2 Dexparine
200mg L-Theanine

Adrafinil was what I first looked into but, after reading about the liver concern I went with the Modafinil instead. I know others that do use and like Adrafinil at 600mg.

JohnP.

JohnP.

Awards
Haven't been posting on here lately due to my crazy busy new semester that started in January.

Just thought I'd share my first Modafinil experience that I had today.

I took 1/2 of a Modalert pill (~100mg) at around 8:30 in the morning. The effects came on strong after about 10-15mins on an empty stomach. I began to feel extremely happy and had that pleasant "tickle" in the front of my head (most likely from dopamine reuptake inhibition). I felt wide awake and alert, but without that "dilated pupil" and "edgy" feeling. My body was calm, but my brain felt like it was going mach 6, which was an interesting feeling. The effects persisted quite strongly for the first two hours. Around hour 3 the effects began to round out, with hour 4 tapering even more so. The effects were still there, but they weren't as intense. At around 12:30 (end of 4 hours), I began to feel a tad foggy and had a bit of a mood swing. I felt kinda like a robot; I was extremely spaced out as I was taking notes in my chemistry lecture. Thankfully that dip in my mood and state of being only lasted for about 45mins, where thereafter my mood/energy began to stabilize back to normal. It's around 4:30pm now (+8h), and I feel back to my normal physical and mental energy levels.

From this first experience I can assume that modafinil would be a great tool to use during times of heavy work loads or sleep deprivation. I just wanted to test how modafinil affected me today and didn't want to take it when I had a lot to do in case I had any adverse reactions. My day consisted mostly of walking around Michigan State's campus, taking lecture notes, and doing some lab work.

Tldr;

Great info.I am starting Modalert tomorrow at 200mgs.Dou you dose Moda with stims or any other supps to maximize effectiveness?

xxAMPxx

xxAMPxx

Awards
100 mgs o Modaf with eca stack works great and last longer!

DonnieM

DonnieM

Awards
  • Established
Love Modafinil. Sometimes difficult to get it for a good price (in EU).
Anyone compared it to Armodafinil?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Love Modafinil. Sometimes difficult to get it for a good price (in EU).
Anyone compared it to Armodafinil?
These studies can:
In a double-blind, active- and placebo-controlled, parallel-group study, 107 healthy male volunteers (aged 18-40 years) were randomized to receive a single oral dose of armodafinil (100, 150, 200, or 300 mg), modafinil (200 mg), or placebo administered at 19:25 h.

Armodafinil improved alertness at all doses studied. Relative to modafinil 200 mg, armodafinil 200 mg showed a comparable peak plasma concentration with higher concentrations 6-14 hours post-drug, and improved wakefulness and sustained attention for a longer time post-dose. Both drugs were well tolerated; however, further research on the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of armodafinil in patients with disorders of excessive sleepiness (ES) is required.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16393442

Data from three randomized studies in healthy adult subjects receiving single doses of either armodafinil (50, 100, 200, 250, 300 or 400 mg) or modafinil (400 mg) were pooled, and subsequently dose-normalized to a 200 mg dose for each drug. Non-compartmental pharmacokinetic parameters were assessed.

Armodafinil and modafinil both had a mean single-dose terminal elimination half-life of approximately 13 hours, with similar mean maximum plasma drug concentration (C(max)) and median time to C(max) values. After reaching C(max), plasma concentrations appeared to decline in a monophasic manner with armodafinil, but in a biphasic manner with modafinil due to the initial rapid elimination of its S-isomer. As a result, mean area under the plasma drug concentration versus time curve (AUC) from time zero to the time of the last measurable concentration (AUC(last)) and AUC from time zero to infinity (AUC(infinity)) values were 33% and 40% higher, respectively, with armodafinil compared with modafinil on a milligram-to-milligram basis.

Despite similar half-lives, plasma concentrations following armodafinil administration are higher late in the day than those following modafinil administration on a milligram-to-milligram basis. The different pharmacokinetic profile of armodafinil may result in improved wakefulness throughout the day in patients with ES compared with modafinil.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19663523

kelso312

kelso312

Awards
  • Established
I found it was quite subtle. I don't notice a rush when I take it (which is why it is schedule IV) but when I do not take it I can tell. I notice it has more effect on my mood than it does on my wakefulness and I am taking brand name (yea insurance!)

Maybe I have been taking it for long enough to the point where I have built up a tolerance. Even if I bump up to 200 2 x per day there are still days when I can take one after lunch and still fit in a napper an hour later.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bell1986 Nootropics 22
GrizzleB Supplement Auction 2
WesleyInman Nootropics 11
Alchemist11 Anabolics 37
D Nootropics 19