MLB and Steroids ALL or Nothing

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I read today that MLB is going after players for steroids. Then I read the most crazy thing ever

"each be suspended for 100 games under baseball's drug policy as second-time offenders, according to the report."

SRS - I mean come on either steroids are allowed or they are not. (I'm all for PED's)

Why does the MLB not have zero tolerance ? 100 games, for pete's sake that like giving them a friggin vacation WTH !

If the drugs are not allowed then kick the proven offenders out for good and terminate their Ridiculous pay !!!!!!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I'm not mistaken they will be suspended without pay for 100 games, which is a big deal.

Hell, I even thought it was a ridiculous punishment when I first read it. Especially considering almost all of them are using, but only some will get crucified for it.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
2nd time offenders = absolute joke

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Go this off the web - as an example and proof of evidense is still required,

1.) Alex Rodriguez is earning the highest salary in MLB in 2013 at $28,000,000.
2.) The Major League Baseball season consists of 162 games

What begs to be asked is how much $$$$ will it cost.

Simple math would say more than half or maybe around 15-18 mil....unless they create some scheme to get out of paying much if anything.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go this off the web - as an example and proof of evidense is still required,

1.) Alex Rodriguez is earning the highest salary in MLB in 2013 at $28,000,000.
2.) The Major League Baseball season consists of 162 games

What begs to be asked is how much $$$$ will it cost.

Simple math would say more than half or maybe around 15-18 mil....unless they create some scheme to get out of paying much if anything.
And I'm sure it will also have a fine attached to it.

It's a significant amount, along with endorsement deals he would most likely lose.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
$$$ is not my point.

I'm of the opinion the PED's should be allowed, makes no difference baseball or Olympics to me lets find out what the human body can do

The fact is that MLB has rules that say the PED's are not allowed.

If these few suspected offenders are being persecuted then shame on MLB, like I said make it ALL or Nothing.

Although it does become a useful tool for an owner who wants to remove a player/contract. Just expose them.

Just look at the effect the Andro exposure had because of MLB, and how that trickeled down, laws were passed and now that stuff is practically unobtainable.....

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I read today that MLB is going after players for steroids. Then I read the most crazy thing ever

"each be suspended for 100 games under baseball's drug policy as second-time offenders, according to the report."

SRS - I mean come on either steroids are allowed or they are not. (I'm all for PED's)

Why does the MLB not have zero tolerance ? 100 games, for pete's sake that like giving them a friggin vacation WTH !

If the drugs are not allowed then kick the proven offenders out for good and terminate their Ridiculous pay !!!!!!
Can't just kick offenders out for good, there is a lot more to it then what MLB would like to do or can do.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Mannys Back! [video=youtube;FMSJrrr9zXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMSJrrr9zXo[/video]

Abner

Awards
I have read your post and found these all post are really informative and interesting. I think that you have done a great job and I really appreciate you for your this kindness. I hope that you will continue to post here with us.

ozzielifter87

ozzielifter87

Awards
So what are they going to do when they out these guys...can the mlb?? Was listening to a joe rogan podcast where he was talking to victor conte who said that the majority of guys in the mlb are using. I would consider him pretty reliable as he provides for a few guys and has an inside knowledge of who is and isnt on......interesting listening

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Simply put, we've seen what happens in baseball when PEDs are used unchecked. And I for one am not a fan. The record books were rewritten and we had formerly scrawny players hitting 40 and 50 home runs.

18 men hit 50 home runs in a season from 1920 to 1994. 16 men hit 50 between 1995 and 2010. It absolutely tarnishes the accomplishments of great players who came before and downplays great players who played clean during the steroid area (Jeff Bagwell, Ken Griffey, Jr.). It ruined the way the game was played as well. I love great hitting, but baseball is about strategy and pitching.

If you want to watch juiced up monsters hit home runs, there's a guy named Rusty Bumgardner who plays professional Slow Pitch. They occasionally televise those games. Watch them and let me have my baseball. If they can circumvent the rules, good for them. But I don't want to see three linebackers galloping through the outfield and have Bud Selig tell me America's Pastime is clean.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like this point, that its about strategy. The chronological data is quite impressive. There is of course the win at all costs and greed issues to overcome first which tend to be overshadowed by the PED's and those are a few reasons players (exisiting and potential) would be enticed to the dark side.

My point was to have it either be openly allowed or not.

Zero tolerance, stiff fines are no good, if "no" means "no" then the penalty should be banishment.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Simply put, we've seen what happens in baseball when PEDs are used unchecked. And I for one am not a fan. The record books were rewritten and we had formerly scrawny players hitting 40 and 50 home runs.

18 men hit 50 home runs in a season from 1920 to 1994. 16 men hit 50 between 1995 and 2010. It absolutely tarnishes the accomplishments of great players who came before and downplays great players who played clean during the steroid area (Jeff Bagwell, Ken Griffey, Jr.). It ruined the way the game was played as well. I love great hitting, but baseball is about strategy and pitching.

If you want to watch juiced up monsters hit home runs, there's a guy named Rusty Bumgardner who plays professional Slow Pitch. They occasionally televise those games. Watch them and let me have my baseball. If they can circumvent the rules, good for them. But I don't want to see three linebackers galloping through the outfield and have Bud Selig tell me America's Pastime is clean.
did you not like watching guys like curt schilling and Rodger Clemens pitch 100+ mph against monster like Bonds Conseco and mcguire. I mean when was the last time that an everyday pitcher has gone out and constantly plows down pitches of that velocity. I do believe that there should be a mark in the history books as far as when the "enhanced era" began and the "natural era" ended and I do believe that Rodger Meris' 61 home runs should be held in a different light than Bonds' 73. But lets face it I dont think Meris would have had 61 homers if he was going up against the same pitchers that Bonds did. With every game comes strategy and I for one think that The game was more entertaining when you could have a slider clocked at 98 MPH and then a change up at 89. And thats what we watch the sport for. To be entertained. America likes its hero’s larger than life and PED's allow that.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
did you not like watching guys like curt schilling and Rodger Clemens pitch 100+ mph against monster like Bonds Conseco and mcguire. I mean when was the last time that an everyday pitcher has gone out and constantly plows down pitches of that velocity. I do believe that there should be a mark in the history books as far as when the "enhanced era" began and the "natural era" ended and I do believe that Rodger Meris' 61 home runs should be held in a different light than Bonds' 73. But lets face it I dont think Meris would have had 61 homers if he was going up against the same pitchers that Bonds did. With every game comes strategy and I for one think that The game was more entertaining when you could have a slider clocked at 98 MPH and then a change up at 89. And thats what we watch the sport for. To be entertained. America likes its hero's larger than life and PED's allow that.
Watch Gerrit Cole, Aroldis Chapman, Justin Verlander, Chris Sale and a host of other guys I don't even know of. They're throwing harder today. Pitchers used PEDs to throw more innings, NOT to throw harder. The mobility and leverages to throw in the upper-to-mid 90s are much more rare and important than the strength to do so. PEDs put the advantage squarely in the hitter's hands.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the NFL have bigger and stronger than ever guys running faster than ever and crushing each other. But that sport has different parameters, and PEDs don't change the game as much as it does in baseball.

This is only my opinion, I am by no means anti-PED, I use them myself. Baseball is a sport more bound by tradition and again, in my opinion, PEDs change the game of baseball for the worse.

McCrew530

McCrew530

Awards
Watch Gerrit Cole, Aroldis Chapman, Justin Verlander, Chris Sale and a host of other guys I don't even know of. They're throwing harder today. Pitchers used PEDs to throw more innings, NOT to throw harder. The mobility and leverages to throw in the upper-to-mid 90s are much more rare and important than the strength to do so. PEDs put the advantage squarely in the hitter's hands.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the NFL have bigger and stronger than ever guys running faster than ever and crushing each other. But that sport has different parameters, and PEDs don't change the game as much as it does in baseball.

This is only my opinion, I am by no means anti-PED, I use them myself. Baseball is a sport more bound by tradition and again, in my opinion, PEDs change the game of baseball for the worse.
I loved watching Verlander get peppered by Pablo Sandival last year in the W.S! LOL. I def get where you are coming from and agree with baseball it is imperative that you have a solid base of mechanics and fundamental skills vs over all power and muscle mass. But as long as the risk is worth the reward players will continue to use PED's to get those Multi Million Dolalr contracts. Shoot look at melky cabrera, he uses topical andro. for half a year gets caught then signs with the Jay's for 8 mill this year and he has only hit three homers.
I was born into the PED erra of baseball and never got to watch the pure form of it at the MLB level but I have seen the game change. And I blame Selig for being so on the fence about it all he gives slaps an the wrists and then tries to save face by sugar coating it all.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I loved watching Verlander get peppered by Pablo Sandival last year in the W.S! LOL. I def get where you are coming from and agree with baseball it is imperative that you have a solid base of mechanics and fundamental skills vs over all power and muscle mass. But as long as the risk is worth the reward players will continue to use PED's to get those Multi Million Dolalr contracts. Shoot look at melky cabrera, he uses topical andro. for half a year gets caught then signs with the Jay's for 8 mill this year and he has only hit three homers.
I was born into the PED erra of baseball and never got to watch the pure form of it at the MLB level but I have seen the game change. And I blame Selig for being so on the fence about it all he gives slaps an the wrists and then tries to save face by sugar coating it all.
Selig has tried and tried to run baseball into the ground. Luckily, he hasn't been successful . . . yet.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nicksox15 General Chat 17
AntM1564 Sports Talk 12
Sports Talk 237
Sports Talk 2
DAdams91982 Sports Talk 20