Minoxidil (rogaine) 5% kills libido??

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
So this is sth i noticed, i am not a member on hair loss forums so thought this may be a proper place to share this, as i believe this is anti aging shbforum and hair loss prevention could be placed in that category.

Anyway, been battling some hair loss for the past 4 months, mainly using ketoconazole 2% shampoo eod. Some minor improvements can be seen.

But recently i decided to go all in and use minoxidil and start microneedling. I received my minoxidil few days ago and started treatment. After the 1st dose i felt a little drop in bp but that is to be expected. Subsequent doses i didnt have this side but what i noticed the part of the day after i apply minoxidil as if i dont have libido?? And i cant spring an erection my sensitivity is non existent.

which is weird i am on inhibit p right as an experiemnt and usually that gives me good libido.

i noticed sharp drop after starting minoxidil.

This is weird. I thought only finasteride was capable of doing this. I am going to stop for few days and see if it returns. Then if it returns i will resume minoxidil. If it kills it again then its surely minoxidil.

Srs i cant think of a single mechanism by which minoxidil could cause it but if thats the case i will have to stick to ketoconazole and microneedling, at least the studies show ketoconazole to be similar in effectiveness to minoxidi, although it takes more time to show effects.

Just wondering if anyone else used minoxidil and noticed this side?

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Never had that, make sure you don't let the minoxidil run down your head or face... but yeah never heard of that side effect, but it is possible

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Never had that, make sure you don't let the minoxidil run down your head or face... but yeah never heard of that side effect, but it is possible
I dont let this happen and yeah its extremely weird. Like i said plan is to drop it and see if returns. Then if it gets annihilated upon resuming minoxidil then for sure its the cause.

The only other thing i started at the same time is inhibit p. That usually causes the exact opposite.

So unless in this batch of inhibit p is sth entirely off label, it points to the minoxidil.

timberx

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I am on Dutasteride, Minoxidil 2x a day, Nizoral 2x a week, Microneedling 1.5mm 1x a week... no problems with libido whatsoever. Afaik minoxidil has no effect on hormones/androgens, been on it for a few years now.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am on Dutasteride, Minoxidil 2x a day, Nizoral 2x a week, Microneedling 1.5mm 1x a week... no problems with libido whatsoever. Afaik minoxidil has no effect on hormones/androgens, been on it for a few years now.
Thats what i believed, but i cant turn a blind eye on my experience. 1st day i noticed sth was off, couldnt perform my PE work out (have to be abke to keep an erection throughout), next day completely numb.

Exactly that feeling of lifelessness, if you have ever cycled, like when you enter pct and start pounding serms.

Like i said i will see if it returns (most likely will) and then when it does, will resume minoxidil. If it kilss it again, well then there is no question, will have to resume with microneedling, nizoral and multivitamin shampoos only.

timberx

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Thats what i believed, but i cant turn a blind eye on my experience. 1st day i noticed sth was off, couldnt perform my PE work out (have to be abke to keep an erection throughout), next day completely numb.

Exactly that feeling of lifelessness, if you have ever cycled, like when you enter pct and start pounding serms.

Like i said i will see if it returns (most likely will) and then when it does, will resume minoxidil. If it kilss it again, well then there is no question, will have to resume with microneedling, nizoral and multivitamin shampoos only.
Just dont overdo it with ketoconazole/nizoral, I was using it almost daily and it fried my hair, made them look *dead*. I would not use it more than 2x a week, on other days I am using a caffeine shampoo and another shampoo with a conditioner, this combination seems to work and my hair looks healthy again.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Just dont overdo it with ketoconazole/nizoral, I was using it almost daily and it fried my hair, made them look *dead*. I would not use it more than 2x a week, on other days I am using a caffeine shampoo and another shampoo with a conditioner, this combination seems to work and my hair looks healthy again.
I noticed i am shedding less if i use it eod, but yeah it does make hair look completely lifeless hence i started also using another shampoo.

If i use less i shed more but what the hell...

Anyway yeah minoxidil doesnt agree with me i had a hypotensive episode i tried to stand up my heart rate went to like 180 bpm horrible pounding and anxiety and shortness of breath. My bp is usually on the lower side so thisnprobably pushes it over the edge.

So...idk...nizoral, microneedling and hair growth shampoos looking forward

I hope it will help stop the loss...but if not...well transplant is an option, i will say fuk it and get it done if it gets that bad.

robthomas

robthomas

Awards
I used this garage from 18-29 by time I was 29 my libido was completely dead always messed with my erections .
Also gave me mild gyno tissue heavy lumping tissue around my pecs .
Tons of brain fog forsure . By time I hit thirty I excepted my hair loss in the time frame I was just shaving my head anyway .
I spent and wasted thousands I bullshit hair products.
I’m damn near 40 now and could give a F about hair at this point .
I don’t think anyone should use that stuff.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used this garage from 18-29 by time I was 29 my libido was completely dead always messed with my erections .
Also gave me mild gyno tissue heavy lumping tissue around my pecs .
Tons of brain fog forsure . By time I hit thirty I excepted my hair loss in the time frame I was just shaving my head anyway .
I spent and wasted thousands I bullshit hair products.
I’m damn near 40 now and could give a F about hair at this point .
I don’t think anyone should use that stuff.
Yeah man they always say finasteride does this not minoxidil

Well in my experience it effin does cause libido sides, i didnt want to believe it but had to accept it.

Will look for a natural alternative, peppermint oil as a vasodilator seems promising.

Btw if minoxidil works "so well" for srimulating hair growth perhaps it also does other things other than vasodilation. Somehow it maybe messes with androgen receptors? Who knows.

Btw damn man ruining your prime years with that stuff. I am approaching the middle of that range and dont want to miss out on relationships anymore as i have been too shy when i was younger only gained confidence last 1-1.5 years or so.

Last edited:
robthomas

robthomas

Awards
Yeah man they always say finasteride does this not minoxidil

Well in my experience it effin does cause libido sides, i didnt want to believe it but had to accept it.

Will look for a natural alternative, peppermint oil as a vasodilator seems promising.

Btw if minoxidil works "so well" for srimulating hair growth perhaps it also does other things other than vasodilation. Somehow it maybe messes with androgen receptors? Who knows.

Btw damn man ruining your prime years with that stuff. I am approaching the middle of that range and dont want to miss out on relationships anymore as i have been too shy when i was younger only gained confidence last 1-1.5 years or so.
Develop a more red pill mind set and your lens of life and confidence will change for the greater good of who you should be !

Jason12676

Awards
Hmm interesting topic. Mine has gone down too but I thought it was other factors - estrogen increases maybe. I started using the 5% foam about 8-9 months ago and never thought this to be any part of the issue. Hmmm

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It definitely does man. Next to no sensitivity.
Inhibit p is what really kicks my libido up, way up. I mean its better now than at 18 (sucked back then for whatever reason).

Its a problem, guys my age (23-24) shouldnt be horndogs hahahaha.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
minoxidil works by lowering dht...dht is not only essential for libido it is the bodys natural AI...inhibit-p acts on prolactin you need something for estrogen.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
minoxidil works by lowering dht...dht is not only essential for libido it is the bodys natural AI...inhibit-p acts on prolactin you need something for estrogen.
I am "natty" atm so no need for an ai.

Inhibit p...this is insane. I must have naturally high prolactin. I know i have always complained about lack of libido but this may be bordering too much...may stop taking it until i find a girl. Having trouble falling asleep.

They tell you that you are at your horniest as a teenager...not necessarily.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I am "natty" atm so no need for an ai.

Inhibit p...this is insane. I must have naturally high prolactin. I know i have always complained about lack of libido but this may be bordering too much...may stop taking it until i find a girl. Having trouble falling asleep.

They tell you that you are at your horniest as a teenager...not necessarily.
being natty doesn't mean you don't need a AI...dht is the bodys natural AI you lower it and good possibility you increase estrogen.

i mean there are exceptions to everything but my guess is that your estrogen is high from the minoxidil lowering dht.

i don't have any skin in this game just offering my opinion. :unsure:

timberx

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Any evidence that minoxidil lowers DHT? I have never heard that before.

"Minoxidil is a vasodilator. This means it widens the blood vessels and increases blood flow in certain areas of the body. Put minoxidil on your scalp and it will relax the muscle walls of the blood vessels, making it easier for blood to flow to your scalp and hair follicles. "
&

"Meanwhile, minoxidil exclusively acts as a growth agent, helping your hair grow thicker, faster and better than it normally would. Unlike finasteride, minoxidil has no known effect on DHT or other hormone production. "

https://www.forhims.com/blog/minoxidil-vs-finasteride-do-either-really-work

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Any evidence that minoxidil lowers DHT? I have never heard that before.

"Minoxidil is a vasodilator. This means it widens the blood vessels and increases blood flow in certain areas of the body. Put minoxidil on your scalp and it will relax the muscle walls of the blood vessels, making it easier for blood to flow to your scalp and hair follicles. "
&

"Meanwhile, minoxidil exclusively acts as a growth agent, helping your hair grow thicker, faster and better than it normally would. Unlike finasteride, minoxidil has no known effect on DHT or other hormone production. "

https://www.forhims.com/blog/minoxidil-vs-finasteride-do-either-really-work
i stand corrected...finasteride is the dht blocker...weird though, all the stuff i've seen on hair growth says blocking dht is most effective/proven way?

thank you for pointing this out to me, i made the mistake of thinking all hair regrowth products work on same principle!!!

timberx

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
i stand corrected...finasteride is the dht blocker...weird though, all the stuff i've seen on hair growth says blocking dht is most effective/proven way?

thank you for pointing this out to me, i made the mistake of thinking all hair regrowth products work on same principle!!!
No problem! Thats why people usually combine a DHT blocker (finasteride or dutasteride) with a growth agent such as Minoxidil (increases blood flow to hair follicles) - originally Minoxidil was used to treat high blood pressure, maybe thats why some people on here experience side effects?

This short ~1min video explains basics on how Minoxidil works:

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No problem! Thats why people usually combine a DHT blocker (finasteride or dutasteride) with a growth agent such as Minoxidil (increases blood flow to hair follicles) - originally Minoxidil was used to treat high blood pressure, maybe thats why some people on here experience side effects?

This short ~1min video explains basics on how Minoxidil works:
good info and thank you for pointing out my incorrect assumption, i thought all hair regrowth products worked on same principal-reducing dht.

Pigeon101

Awards
How are you doing now OP?

Btw, some studies suggest it could be a 5ari like fina: