Milos Sarcev peri-workout nutrition

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Last month Milos was on Ben Greenfields podcast and they got real nerdy about peri-workout nutrition. I love that topic so I was glued to my headphones. Ive heard Milos talk about it before, but never in these details. The whole podcast got transcribed as well so its easy to refer to, you can find it here:

From how he tells it he was probably one of the first who started experimenting with pre-, intra- and post-workout nutrition in this way.
Here is what Milos recommends for NORMAL people, meaning not the ones he has on Insulin and what else his protocols are.

• Pre-Workout
    • 10-15g EAAs
    • 5g Leucine
    • 10g Glutamine
    • 5-10g Creatine depending on the athlete
    • 5g Citruline
    • 3g Arginine
    • 2-3g Beta Alanine
    • 2-3g L-carnitine
    • 2-3g electrolyte drink powder
  • During Workout
    • 10-15g EAAs (for bigger guys, 20g)/ some guys add 10g BCAA
    • 3-5g Creatine
    • 3-10g Glutamine
    • 15g Leucine
    • 50g Vitargo/Dextrose
    • 1tsp electrolyte drink powder
  • Post-Workout
    • 3-5g Creatine
    • 3-10g Glutamine
    • 40-50g Whey
    • 50-75 Vitargo/Dextrose
Its interesting to see all the Glutamine in there. I dont think ive taken Glutamine since the 90s, but he seems to swear by it. Unfortunately he didnt explain why its in there in such big amounts. Creatine ive heard him talk about before and that he belives higher amounts are needed. I remember him talking about using like 50g creatine a day for a loading week before a show.

Ive never taken EAA before and Intra like that, but ive been trying it for a week or so now. What I can say is that i feel more "hydrated" if thats a thing. Im guessing its the electrolytes in my EAA that does that. I also have added creatine to my intra and post so im up to 15g a day. Not sure im noticing much there yet.

I have not added the glutamin and leucine yet. I use HBCD for my Intra and honey+rice for my post which ive been doing for over a year now.

Just wanted to post this up for some fun peri-workout nutrition discussion. We all have our routines and its fun to hear and learn what you all think.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't want to speak for someone so I can't say this is why for the glutamine, but just some food for thought:

Increased muscle glycogen synthesis with carbohydrate.

Also a decent bit of research in insulin responses, diabetics, etc in relation to carbohydrates. Some stuff for hydration, gut health, and performance in other studies as well.

I don't really think it adds much (if anything), but it is regularly in the formulas I use for during training, so I do tend to use it at 5-10g pretty much all the time.

I like the idea of some EAA + Carbs pre. I think, especially given the duration of the session for most, that getting some in before so that it is "in your system" as you train and then sipping to keep it going during training is beneficial. I usually start sipping my carb drink pretty soon after my pre-workout and as I warm up in my personal use.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't want to speak for someone so I can't say this is why for the glutamine, but just some food for thought:

Increased muscle glycogen synthesis with carbohydrate.

Also a decent bit of research in insulin responses, diabetics, etc in relation to carbohydrates. Some stuff for hydration, gut health, and performance in other studies as well.

I don't really think it adds much (if anything), but it is regularly in the formulas I use for during training, so I do tend to use it at 5-10g pretty much all the time.

I like the idea of some EAA + Carbs pre. I think, especially given the duration of the session for most, that getting some in before so that it is "in your system" as you train and then sipping to keep it going during training is beneficial. I usually start sipping my carb drink pretty soon after my pre-workout and as I warm up in my personal use.
I always enjoy your replies to threads like this. You have an abundance of information and experience that makes reading your post pure joy, thank you.

That study was very interesting. Reading studies always makes me feel like im back in school with my dunce cap on but i got the gist of that one. Makes me wanna add some glutamin to my peri-workout and see how it feels,

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense

A clinical dose of creatine is 3-5g taking in 3x the amount won’t benefit you.

3-5g is needed to spike MPS to its peak
Taking in way more and whey post is just overkill

upward to 30g glutamine is way more than needed since you get plenty of glutamine from Whole Foods alone. If anything glutamine aids digestion support, not recovery or performance

sounds like a great setup for wasted money and supplement IMO

if pre and post-workout nutrition are in check then 3-5g Creatine would be fine. Additional carbs are icing on the cake if you prefer them, but upward to 100+ is a lot. If you were an endurance athlete then yes maybe for any general gym-goer you won’t be blowing through all that glycogen from a normal 60-90 minute workout

Last edited:

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Last month Milos was on Ben Greenfields podcast and they got real nerdy about peri-workout nutrition. I love that topic so I was glued to my headphones. Ive heard Milos talk about it before, but never in these details. The whole podcast got transcribed as well so its easy to refer to, you can find it here:

From how he tells it he was probably one of the first who started experimenting with pre-, intra- and post-workout nutrition in this way.
Here is what Milos recommends for NORMAL people, meaning not the ones he has on Insulin and what else his protocols are.

• Pre-Workout
    • 10-15g EAAs
    • 5g Leucine
    • 10g Glutamine
    • 5-10g Creatine depending on the athlete
    • 5g Citruline
    • 3g Arginine
    • 2-3g Beta Alanine
    • 2-3g L-carnitine
    • 2-3g electrolyte drink powder
  • During Workout
    • 10-15g EAAs (for bigger guys, 20g)/ some guys add 10g BCAA
    • 3-5g Creatine
    • 3-10g Glutamine
    • 15g Leucine
    • 50g Vitargo/Dextrose
  • Post-Workout
    • 3-5g Creatine
    • 3-10g Glutamine
    • 40-50g Whey
    • 50-75 Vitargo/Dextrose
Its interesting to see all the Glutamine in there. I dont think ive taken Glutamine since the 90s, but he seems to swear by it. Unfortunately he didnt explain why its in there in such big amounts. Creatine ive heard him talk about before and that he belives higher amounts are needed. I remember him talking about using like 50g creatine a day for a loading week before a show.

Ive never taken EAA before and Intra like that, but ive been trying it for a week or so now. What I can say is that i feel more "hydrated" if thats a thing. Im guessing its the electrolytes in my EAA that does that. I also have added creatine to my intra and post so im up to 15g a day. Not sure im noticing much there yet.

I have not added the glutamin and leucine yet. I use HBCD for my Intra and honey+rice for my post which ive been doing for over a year now.

Just wanted to post this up for some fun peri-workout nutrition discussion. We all have our routines and its fun to hear and learn what you all think.
I listened to this podcast also and have started a modified (less extreme) version of this protocol. Lots of energy and good recovery so far. l

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the reminder this was the podcast i have been meaning to listen to ha

on the lgutamine thing im about to start juicing a pack of spinach a day so should be good on glutamine from that