Mikespe Contest Prep Log

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
While at the gym today I found out the show I am doing in October had to move the date up by 2 weeks because of a conflict with another organization's show (the promoter of that show is a complete A$$ & no one likes the way he runs things anyway...) so now I am shooting for October 4 (was Oct 18). I was going to start my log this weekend and do a 14 week log but it looks like I'll start it now & do a 12 week log. I have already been dieting slowly since the end of April/beginning of May. It was a relaxed diet just cleaning a few things up but still having a cheat day every 10-14 days where I didn't worry about macros or calories. I stopped the cheat days around mid-June. My starting weight was 218lbs and with my bodyfat approx 18-20%. Right now I am 198lbs & approx 11-12% BF. MY goal weight is roughly 185-186lbs but ultimately it's how lean I am that matters (I'll have enough muscle for my frame even if I go a few pounds lighter.

Stats

• Male
  • Height 5' 11"
  • Weight: 198.4
  • Bodyfat Approx 11-12%
  • Lifting on/off for 30 years
Diet

My diet is solid at 2400 calories with macros 40/40/20 ratio

Training

• Train 6 days/week
  • One of the training days is cardio/HIIT day/Abs day (10min stair climber, Stationary Bike Interval Sprints (30sec spring/30sec rest), Suicides (done in racquetball court with 6 cones evenly spread) 25sec work/30 sec rest...
  • I will add one more cardio/HIIT day before dropping anymore calories

Besides the usual supplements (protein, BCAA's, multi, etc) I'll be using the following cutting stack:

Alphamax (2 bottles)
Alphamine (2 tubs)
Dexaprime XR (1 bottle...but have a spare just in case I need it)

I have some Erase/Erase Pro but from what some of you advised me in THIS THREAD I shouldn't need it. So I will save it in case I run out of the Alphamax.

I have never done a log like this so I hope the format is good & I will add things as I feel are needed. I don't think I'll do a daily log...but more of as I make changes or a weekly progress report. Below is a picture I took yesterday to give an accurate starting point (not the best pic but hey...it's a selfie!!!). I'll post more pictures when I see progress.

10524585_927143700635819_2210324934526925728_n.jpg

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
I started the Dexaprime XR this morning & I took 2 scoops of Alphamine after my workout...I took it after because I didn't find out about the date change of the show until during my workout. However, from now on I'll take the Alphamine before my workout. Today was a leg day, as well as,a refeed day. I normally have 240g of carbs but today I will eat 300g (only a slight increase).

MY legs felt strong but I will admit energy was a bit low today. I went to bed late last night & got up early so I was a bit tired (no it's not my diet because I am usually feeling energetic with it). Exercises as follows:

• Squats: 7 sets starting at 135lbs & peeking at 405lbs for 4 & 3 reps then dropped back to 315lbs for 10 reps as a burn-out
  • Single Leg Presses: 4 sets up to 180lbs per leg
  • Life Fitness Glute Machine: 3 sets at 110lbs
  • Leg Extensions: 3 sets 15 reps 150lbs, 12 reps 170lbs, 10 reps 190lbs
  • Standing Calf Raises (Hammer Strength V-Squat machine): 6 sets 180lbs 20 reps each
  • Seated Calf Raises: 3 sets 15 reps 50lbs
I base my workouts on volume & energy level. When my energy is high I'll do 10-12 sets of squats then another 5-8 on the leg press before doing any isolation exercises. I shoot for 17-20 sets overall on larger muscles & 12-15 on the smaller muscles. I find my body responds to this volume quite well. On a good day I'll sometimes go over but I try not to go less than this.

Overall I feel quite good today...a little frustrated of the date change for the show...Tomorrow will either be an off day or a cardio day depending when I get out of my summer job. I got called in for tomorrow & I SHOULD be out in 5-6 hours....if off, then Thursday will be a cardio day.

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
From that pic you look like you may be more at 10% bf.
I'm currently at 11.6%. Since I hit my late 30's I have not been able to get below 10% bf. I have checked my cortisol, T3 and Glucose. I have been and am on Testosterone, Anavar, Clen and T3. I am now testing A1C levels. Any advice?

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
From that pic you look like you may be more at 10% bf.
I'm currently at 11.6%. Since I hit my late 30's I have not been able to get below 10% bf. I have checked my cortisol, T3 and Glucose. I have been and am on Testosterone, Anavar, Clen and T3. I am now testing A1C levels. Any advice?
First off thanks for the compliment on my bodyfat! I would rather assume a bit higher so as to come in as shredded as possible. As for your issue...all I can advise you is to go speak to your doctor...I have been natural my whole life & don't have much experience with Test. I do have several friends who take it, one of which looks phenomenal and we are trying to convince him to compete!!! The only other thing I can suggest is to look at your diet with a fine tooth comb. Bodyfat pretty much comes down to nutrition. Sorry I couldn't help out more.

JoeBrooklyn

JoeBrooklyn

Awards
Thank you. I have spoken to my doctor and he said 11.6% is nothing to cry about at my age. And ofcourse he doesnt approve of my taking test.
As for my diet, I eat a low carb diet. I actually have been on the Paleo diet for about 4 weeks now. No bread, no pasta, no rice. Just fruits, sweet potato and red potato (abd red potato is contraversial in the paleo world) for carbs and ofcourse lots of chicken, pork, eggs and meat and fish. Im just about to have my third meal for the day and so far I have only taken in 887 calories and my BMR is supposed to be 2700. Something is wrong but I dont know what. If I eat less than 2100 calories for the day my work out suffers and I cant focus. Within a couple of days I end up binge eating bad stuff. I dont over eat but I try not to be hungry.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Thank you. I have spoken to my doctor and he said 11.6% is nothing to cry about at my age. And ofcourse he doesnt approve of my taking test.
As for my diet, I eat a low carb diet. I actually have been on the Paleo diet for about 4 weeks now. No bread, no pasta, no rice. Just fruits, sweet potato and red potato (abd red potato is contraversial in the paleo world) for carbs and ofcourse lots of chicken, pork, eggs and meat and fish. Im just about to have my third meal for the day and so far I have only taken in 887 calories and my BMR is supposed to be 2700. Something is wrong but I dont know what. If I eat less than 2100 calories for the day my work out suffers and I cant focus. Within a couple of days I end up binge eating bad stuff. I dont over eat but I try not to be hungry.
First off, don't follow any Paleo or other "diet"....make your OWN diet! I used the advice from Layne Norton in this article...It's a long read but a GOOD read

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
I woke at 5am today & don't know why since i am on summer vacation! My weight was 198.2 this morning. Took the Dexaprime 30 minutes before breakfast & today I took the Alphamine before my workout (10:30am). I felt really good today but not stimmed-out...even though I also had a cup of coffee in the morning.

Back Day today & did the following (I'm not going to list the reps/weight like yesterday)

*Stiff-arm Cable Pullovers
*Lat Pulldowns
*Dumbbell Rows
*T-Bar Rows
*Hammer Strength Front Pulldowns

I did a total of 21 sets & was spent after but in a good way. I got a few compliments on how lean I've become so I must be on the right track.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
12 weeks out from Saturday (July 19)...Slight drop in strength however my rep weight is actually very good. My bench max has dropped a bit but I won't be maxing too much between now and the show. I made a slight change in my stack where I started taking OG Erase now up until I start Alphamax. I know some might try to talk me out of it but I won't overlap the 2...I think it will give me an edge in drying out & tightening a few week areas.

july202014.jpg

Yea I know....I have to clean my mirror! LOL

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
I had to restructure my workout schedule this week because of my summer job & I put leg day after a low carb day....BIG mistake! i felt so weak! Today iis a high carb day so I should recover by midday. Weight is 196.4 & I'm leaning out nicely. I am 11 weeks out from the show....But now is when the head games begin & you start to feel small and your clothes are too big for you! LOL

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
9 weeks out from the show....tightened up quite a bit....down to 191.8lbs....that belly fat is frustrating me though!!! But I am hoping as I lower carbs it will tighten up as well..

10524586_941452865871569_3771780396135988420_n.jpg

evodrag

Awards
Just keep going. Fat comes off where it wants to. Another thing is to never shoot for a show weight. Shoot for the shredded look, period. Everybody underestimates theyre bodyfat and then they think theyve lost muscle. Just keep bringing it down. I notice your chest is much tighter. I dont see your legs/glutes but most men lose fat on legs, arms and finally chest and back last.

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
Just keep going. Fat comes off where it wants to. Another thing is to never shoot for a show weight. Shoot for the shredded look, period. Everybody underestimates theyre bodyfat and then they think theyve lost muscle. Just keep bringing it down. I notice your chest is much tighter. I dont see your legs/glutes but most men lose fat on legs, arms and finally chest and back last.
Thanks for the support & advice. I've always had issues getting the low ab fat down....it's my Achilles heel! Here is a shot of my legs, which I think are coming along pretty good. As for my goal weight....it's just a guide as is the mirror. Obviously I will go for shredded...but at a height of 5ft 11in if I start getting to the 170's I'll be too small. My last show I competed at 186 and I am already ahead in regards of leanness currently.

11263_938641716152684_7447765344469290777_n.jpg

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
For anyone interested I placed 2nd in both the Masters Over 40 & the Open Light Heavyweight classes of the OCB Eastern USA, Here is a picture from the day before the show. I'll have show pics in a few days when I get them from the photographer...

10703736_10202967307119021_3740430319292261842_n.jpg

10628183_10202972572610655_4133871973323546031_n.jpg

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Awesome!! Congratulations!!! You look amazing!

mikespe

mikespe

Awards
FYI...I didn't notice any effect from the Alphamax & probably won't use it again. I did extensive research on it, read the reviews & directions for use but didn't see any results. I know it's a popular supplement on this forum & many have ad good results. I am just saying that I didn't have any results. YMMV