Meat substitutes

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Any suggestions for meat substitutes?

I like burgers for bulking because they’re fairly convenient and cheap, but I worry a bit about long term health as far as cholesterol and stuff goes. I’m healthy, but all the the same I figured it’s still good to add in more variety.

I’ve considered mixing in some other kind of protein source into my diet that’s plant based.

I’ve heard people suggest Beyond or Impossible, but have yet to try them myself.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
quorn is the best I have found. In terms of ingredient profile/macro ratio, though.

manbeast1

manbeast1

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I like burgers for bulking because they’re fairly convenient and cheap, but I worry a bit about long term health as far as cholesterol and stuff goes. I’m healthy, but all the the same I figured it’s still good to add in more variety.

I’ve considered mixing in some other kind of protein source into my diet that’s plant based.

I’ve heard people suggest Beyond or Impossible, but have yet to try them myself.
I eat pretty much nothing but meat and have for some time. Had a few test done awhile back and found that I have zero plaque build up. It’s strange there’s science to the carnivore/keto diet that can actually do some pretty amazing things for you. It’s the overly processed carbs and junk that’s in the modern diet thats the issue it seems.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

off topic but i had a conversation with the manager of krogers that i go to often...i said bill-how can they call a meatless meatball a meatball....bill was cracking up, lol. :p

manbeast1

manbeast1

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
off topic but i had a conversation with the manager of krogers that i go to often...i said bill-how can they call a meatless meatball a meatball....bill was cracking up, lol. :p
The whole meatless “meat“ is ridiculous IMO of course. I could never be vegan lol. I‘ll continue raising pigs and getting my half’s of cows.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The whole meatless “meat“ is ridiculous IMO of course. I could never be vegan lol. I‘ll continue raising pigs and getting my half’s of cows.
Here here. I added some vegan options, but could never go full. Like my beef to much.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ve just been eating fish/egg whites lately, no chicken either and I’m noticing amazing benefits. Fish is definitely the best. I never liked the meat substitutes except for quorn, which is a good ratio and has an acceptable ingredient profile. The other ones , though, you’re better off eating real meat.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you look at a lot of the processed substitutes they are oftentimes worse fo you than what they are substituting. For instance the impossible burger has just as much sodium, bad fats, fillers etc than the fast food burgers they try and replace.

just buy and cook natural foods and you will be fine. It’s the processed foods to watch out for.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you look at a lot of the processed substitutes they are oftentimes worse fo you than what they are substituting. For instance the impossible burger has just as much sodium, bad fats, fillers etc than the fast food burgers they try and replace.

just buy and cook natural foods and you will be fine. It’s the processed foods to watch out for.
(y)

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

this. There’s nothing unhealthy about eating meat. Just be aware of your saturated fat intake. Also be careful about choice of cooking methods- high heat, direct flame cooking has all the links to disease. Stick to seared, roasted, braised, etc and you can avoid that issue. These meat substitutes have basically no nutritional value in terms of the micro’s. They’re bogus and shouldn’t be allowed to be called food imo.