Unanswered Matthersby log: Old man on a mission

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don’t see a problem with adding a few sets to his protocol. Some Volume won’t hurt me

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Personally I’d add some volume if I felt like it wasn’t enough for me, still following his protocol.
I always feel guilty, like “what if he has a plan for this split?” when I’m doing extra face pulls. HE doesn’t know I want traps that are obnoxiously unbalanced does he?

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I always feel guilty, like “what if he has a plan for this split?” when I’m doing extra face pulls. HE doesn’t know I want traps that are obnoxiously unbalanced does he?
Damn right and that’s up to you. Obviously I wouldn’t go against what he says if you were into something very specific like a deload or a strength type of workout with a specific goal but here you’re just trying to add mass basically I don’t see how adding a few sets to certain muscles would hurt

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Why would you opt for slin with peptides as opposed to slin and gh if you can afford it? Wouldnt that be a better and probably easier combo to apply?

That split is strange....that's why I need a trainer anymore...those things seem to work but i just dont understand them. Back on sat AND monday would freaking kill!

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Why would you opt for slin with peptides as opposed to slin and gh if you can afford it? Wouldnt that be a better and probably easier combo to apply?

That split is strange....that's why I need a trainer anymore...those things seem to work but i just dont understand them. Back on sat AND monday would freaking kill!
Right? Lmao I have two certifications I would never call myself a real trainer even though I supposedly am. Those splits are weird to me yet I know they can be extremely effective I just don’t get it.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don’t know ****, that’s all I know. Been on this forum 10 years and I haven’t tried half the **** he’s got me doing. I definitely see improvements and in a short period accompanied only by fat loss. But 90% of why I’m using him now is for the prep. I need someone that can tell me step by step “ok today drop all your sodium, tomorrow you drink 3 gallons, then all next week step down 25 carbs per day”. I have no clue with that stuff. But I figured this guy has trained for 9 years and competed for 15, he’s gotta be able to get me ready with an off season and 3 month prep. We will see.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I’ll probably use gh with my income changing later this month. 5 months of it won’t break the bank.
And ya the split is all F’d. Maybe he’s got a plan with it and my back is gonna get all freaky.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The periodization is certainly helping with recovery and strength increases. I’ve definitely never periodized like I should so that part of it is good.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you’re gonna hit extra volume routinely, tell your coach. He works for you, with you. Be transparent.
I KNEW you’d chime in!
Yes brother. He’s a lot like a tattoo artist, if he doesn’t like your idea, he will tell you all about why it sucks. I want stupid middle traps you can see through my shirt.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Actually I want big legs but let’s be real here.
I found a trainer who's about 6'2...maybe 6'1 with these huge popping reall BB legs. All he tells me is that he only squats 2-3 times a month usually...I'm about to give him cash to see if hes got a legit program. I'm tall and lanky too. Doesnt matter how big I get them...they still look like mantis limbs to me. If it works I'll blast it up here

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Double

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I found a trainer who's about 6'2...maybe 6'1 with these huge popping reall BB legs. All he tells me is that he only squats 2-3 times a month usually...I'm about to give him cash to see if hes got a legit program. I'm tall and lanky too. Doesnt matter how big I get them...they still look like mantis limbs to me. If it works I'll blast it up here
Interesting. Ya I thought it was really odd that he brought me down to one full leg day a week. Maybe he sees this with my painfully slow progress and wants to try heavy hypertophy phase 1x every 7. I’d really like to learn all this about my tall frame moving forward.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Goddamn that’s a weird split, I’ve run and done some weird stuff but nothing like that. Probably why I could never be a prep coach.

I figure if your legs were lacking he’d hit them 2x a week at least

Last edited:
Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Goddamn that’s a weird split, I’ve run and done some weird stuff but nothing like that. Probably why I could never be a prep coach.

I figure if your legs were lacking he’d hit them 2x a week at least
I know. There’s some logic, that I’m certain, he won’t share with me.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So...
I literally just threatened a teenager. Bad.
My gym is a really nice community gym in Verrado. This awesome little small community of mostly rich. Doctors, Lawyers, Educational Administrators and such. So their 15-20 year olds are spoiled rich kids that have never had the **** kicked out of them. They all are a good 145lbs and walk around like the cockiest thing you’ve ever seen. I laugh at at least one every workout. And they all hate me. When they are being disrespectful and taking up too much space, I pretty much shove my way by and grab my db’s or whatever. Well one of em was all hot **** today with his nose in the air. Chest puffed out, all that, with his buddy too. He grabs 40s and mind you, I’m always polite and my bench is waaaay out of the way bc I never get in peoples way or show any disrespect. He bumps me with his dumbbell, on purpose like he thinks he’s a 9th grade bully. I elbowed him in the back so hard and almost made him fall forward. Then I was mad. And just glared across the room wanting to go up and break him in half. So bad, he wouldn’t even put back the dumbells alone. Brought his buddy, and I was too mad at that point and really just baffled. So I finally told him if he bumps me with a weight again I’d wait for him outside and break his little punk ass in half. Peppered with a lot of profanity.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I needed a little cheering up tonight. Thanks for the story

Q

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I know. There’s some logic, that I’m certain, he won’t share with me.
If you figure it out then I’d love to know lol, always looking for the little things that make a difference.

Nice story but you shoulda thrown his 40 across the room to establish dominance. Disappointed you didn’t.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I needed a little cheering up tonight. Thanks for the story

Q
I’ve been telling my girl for 6 months, I’ve got to get my LA fitness membership back. I’m going to catch a charge if I keep going to this gym.

And I should add, I just live near rich people, I’m certainly not rich. Just got lucky buying a home in a good area.

ItalOne

ItalOne

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
So...
I literally just threatened a teenager. Bad.
My gym is a really nice community gym in Verrado. This awesome little small community of mostly rich. Doctors, Lawyers, Educational Administrators and such. So their 15-20 year olds are spoiled rich kids that have never had the **** kicked out of them. They all are a good 145lbs and walk around like the cockiest thing you’ve ever seen. I laugh at at least one every workout. And they all hate me. When they are being disrespectful and taking up too much space, I pretty much shove my way by and grab my db’s or whatever. Well one of em was all hot **** today with his nose in the air. Chest puffed out, all that, with his buddy too. He grabs 40s and mind you, I’m always polite and my bench is waaaay out of the way bc I never get in peoples way or show any disrespect. He bumps me with his dumbbell, on purpose like he thinks he’s a 9th grade bully. I elbowed him in the back so hard and almost made him fall forward. Then I was mad. And just glared across the room wanting to go up and break him in half. So bad, he wouldn’t even put back the dumbells alone. Brought his buddy, and I was too mad at that point and really just baffled. So I finally told him if he bumps me with a weight again I’d wait for him outside and break his little punk ass in half. Peppered with a lot of profanity.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What’s more frustrating of this generation is even though you’re all juiced and a brick of muscle and they’re 145-160 lbs skinny little twigs, they still act and strongly believe they stand a chance... it’s like the society made them believe they’re invincible... I see this daily too at my job which is a casual gym... like I don’t consider myself that big or that much in shape but in my gym no one is near my level of weight/muscle ratio and some kids man... no respect. I feel you so bad on this one because I wanna break one of these noodles at least once a week.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What’s more frustrating of this generation is even though you’re all juiced and a brick of muscle and they’re 145-160 lbs skinny little twigs, they still act and strongly believe they stand a chance... it’s like the society made them believe they’re invincible... I see this daily too at my job which is a casual gym... like I don’t consider myself that big or that much in shape but in my gym no one is near my level of weight/muscle ratio and some kids man... no respect. I feel you so bad on this one because I wanna break one of these noodles at least once a week.
Thise guys would have been dead silent in their long sleeve tees back in my younger years! Just watching the bigger guys and trying to learn a thing or two! Now they run the show!

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s so bad. They’re delusional. I knew as soon as I immediately slammed him he wouldn’t do ****. They are all talk and and fake cockiness. I remember being that age, and nobody would save us if we mouthed off to someone way bigger, we got our ass kicked and learned to stfu. These kids clearly have been protected their whole lives and have been around a bunch of pussy kids and adults. I think I’m going to make it my new mission to start punking these twerps every workout and if any of them feel like they’re a badass, I’ll ask them to meet me outside and show me how tough they are. There’s about 13 more of them that need this too.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It’s so bad. They’re delusional. I knew as soon as I immediately slammed him he wouldn’t do ****. They are all talk and and fake cockiness. I remember being that age, and nobody would save us if we mouthed off to someone way bigger, we got our ass kicked and learned to stfu. These kids clearly have been protected their whole lives and have been around a bunch of pussy kids and adults. I think I’m going to make it my new mission to start punking these twerps every workout and if any of them feel like they’re a badass, I’ll ask them to meet me outside and show me how tough they are. There’s about 13 more of them that need this too.
Bro for real... I got my ass beat the **** down for talk **** when I was younger. This generation is so fucking sad I’m raging just reading your post. I’m about to join your mission NO joke.

Last edited:
Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thise guys would have been dead silent in their long sleeve tees back in my younger years! Just watching the bigger guys and trying to learn a thing or two! Now they run the show!
Right?? at 18 I used to workout at a gym where mostly only bodybuilders were working out and Jesus was I calm and respectful. I wouldn’t even look at anyone in the eyes. It wasn’t just about the size and because I was scared it’s mostly because I respected their hustle and the hard work. Last week a kid said to his friend litterally a feet next to me "only reason he can shoulder press such weight is because he’s on juice" dude for real, saying that in front of me you little ****? Tbh I just take it and laugh but they just have no respect.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Right?? at 18 I used to workout at a gym where mostly only bodybuilders were working out and Jesus was I calm and respectful. I wouldn’t even look at anyone in the eyes. It wasn’t just about the size and because I was scared it’s mostly because I respected their hustle and the hard work. Last week a kid said to his friend litterally a feet next to me "only reason he can shoulder press such weight is because he’s on juice" dude for real, saying that in front of me you little ****? Tbh I just take it and laugh but they just have no respect.
I’m getting so pissed just reading this too. I honestly woke up at 5am and thought about the nerve of this little **** for 20 minutes. I’m still hot about it. I should be over it, he couldn’t even defend himself when I slammed him. I could tell how close he was walking to me he was going to let the dumbbell hit me, so I was ready to elbow his ass as hard as I could. Then I threatened him and he couldn’t even look me in the eye. So why am I still mad about it? I put him in his place... I think it’s because this is a consistent thing at this gym and I’ve been trying to be nice waaaay too long. I feel like it wouldn’t even be a fair fight if I were to punk one of these kids and they had the balls to even step up. Now I just want to see which one of them will. It’s a bad spot for me, because I would catch a nasty assault charge for this so I am honestly thinking about going back to LA fitness and THATS what’s pissing me off the most. That I don’t stay and put all these fux in their place. I’m not good at the confrontational middle ground. I go from accommodating to violence so I need to be the adult and let this go. It ruined my workout because I couldn’t calm down, the audacity of this kid.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You can’t beat their ass if they are in their safe space. It’s against the rules.
These kids don’t know anything but safe spaces. If they knew the ass beating people outside of their rich mommy and daddy zones were capable of, they’d mind their business and show some fucking respect.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Maybe it's our fault. We are waaay to easy on the pricks. There is an enormous life lesson in getting hit, and hitting someone. (Maybe they'd learn they should punch people bc they dont agree with some dumbass political views)

They will never learn that.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Maybe it's our fault. We are waaay to easy on the pricks. There is an enormous life lesson in getting hit, and hitting someone. (Maybe they'd learn they should punch people bc they dont agree with some dumbass political views)

They will never learn that.
Thank you. Getting my ass beat a few times as a kid showed me some humility and respect and to watch myself. The Army was even better, I learned integrity and a lot more respect. Every one of these kids would get eaten alive in an environment where they realize they aren’t the center of the universe and maybe they aren’t hot ****, the biggest baddest kid around. I thought they learned these lessons as we did growing up but it’s clear they are overprotected by society, schools, everyone. I need to let it go, because I’m getting to the point where I’m going to hurt someone and really mess things up for myself, because even if they started it with their little fragile egos and delusions, you know they would press charges and a judge would see a guy twice their age and twice their size and hammer me.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thank you. Getting my ass beat a few times as a kid showed me some humility and respect and to watch myself. The Army was even better, I learned integrity and a lot more respect. Every one of these kids would get eaten alive in an environment where they realize they aren’t the center of the universe and maybe they aren’t hot ****, the biggest baddest kid around. I thought they learned these lessons as we did growing up but it’s clear they are overprotected by society, schools, everyone. I need to let it go, because I’m getting to the point where I’m going to hurt someone and really mess things up for myself, because even if they started it with their little fragile egos and delusions, you know they would press charges and a judge would see a guy twice their age and twice their size and hammer me.
Reminds me of an old quote...no idea where it came from but dam sure it's TRUE

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

Everyone's living pretty comfortable...hell even the poor have a crazy obese rate right now

Codybenz

Codybenz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
These kids don’t know anything but safe spaces. If they knew the ass beating people outside of their rich mommy and daddy zones were capable of, they’d mind their business and show some fucking respect.
Truth

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anyone know wtf is up with Flex Wheeler needing a lower leg amputation?? Lots of rumours flying, but nothing official that Ive seen (as to the why)

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ahhhhhh ****^^^^
Should have posted that in one of the 100 tren threads and this guys rich

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anyone know wtf is up with Flex Wheeler needing a lower leg amputation?? Lots of rumours flying, but nothing official that Ive seen (as to the why)
Wesley Inman said something about it looked like an infection due to complications from him being diabetic. That's the most I've seen. Sad sad sad

Edit...I'm too lazy to link but theres a video on rxmuscle where shawn ray explains a bit

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac
mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don’t know ****, that’s all I know. Been on this forum 10 years and I haven’t tried half the **** he’s got me doing. I definitely see improvements and in a short period accompanied only by fat loss. But 90% of why I’m using him now is for the prep. I need someone that can tell me step by step “ok today drop all your sodium, tomorrow you drink 3 gallons, then all next week step down 25 carbs per day”. I have no clue with that stuff. But I figured this guy has trained for 9 years and competed for 15, he’s gotta be able to get me ready with an off season and 3 month prep. We will see.
To me it looks like he knows what he is doing and how to prep you need to trust your coach even if you dont think something will hurt your trainer needs to see how your body reacts under set conditions or he wont be able to give you his best

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
To me it looks like he knows what he is doing and how to prep you need to trust your coach even if you dont think something will hurt your trainer needs to see how your body reacts under set conditions or he wont be able to give you his best
Agreed. He’s troubleshooting and while once a week legs might be insane to most guys, I need to stick with that for now, because what if mine need more recovery time and he’s been able to see that? Maybe he’s noticed my back can take a shitload of volume and needs it too. This new split is obviously tailored only to me, so I shouldn’t disrespect that and give it 100% without adding my own agenda.
On that note, back and delts was so intense yesterday, I actually didn’t finish it. It was insane. I will be growing on this phase bc it’s crazy.

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Excited to see where takes you. Like sheep, sometimes we don’t know where we are going and need a good shepherd to get us there.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ahhhhhh ****^^^^
Should have posted that in one of the 100 tren threads and this guys rich
Oops I accidentally flagged his spammy post and it went away.
No need for stalker software up in here. I trust my woman.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If Generation Iron was the only one to report it, it was probably a pinky toe. But I haven’t seen any reputable sources reporting yet.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Agreed. He’s troubleshooting and while once a week legs might be insane to most guys, I need to stick with that for now, because what if mine need more recovery time and he’s been able to see that? Maybe he’s noticed my back can take a shitload of volume and needs it too. This new split is obviously tailored only to me, so I shouldn’t disrespect that and give it 100% without adding my own agenda.
On that note, back and delts was so intense yesterday, I actually didn’t finish it. It was insane. I will be growing on this phase bc it’s crazy.
So do you expect him to change that split a few times to dial it in?

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So do you expect him to change that split a few times to dial it in?
I don’t know I was surprised that we changed the last split after only 4 weeks. And I think this one is only 4 weeks. I think this is just about periodizing and seeing what I respond best to, then trying to build like crazy for 3-4 more months, then prep. I know I can at least do Men’s Physique if i just can’t get the size we want in time.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t know I was surprised that we changed the last split after only 4 weeks. And I think this one is only 4 weeks. I think this is just about periodizing and seeing what I respond best to, then trying to build like crazy for 3-4 more months, then prep. I know I can at least do Men’s Physique if i just can’t get the size we want in time.
I change my plans every 4 weeks sometimes, doesn’t give your body time to adapt. You can grow a shot ton that way but you can really **** yourself up too if you overstrain something