Math and sport

Blapeneve

Awards
So sometimes I meet athletes who are very passionate about math, and I convince them that it helps them a lot to progress and achieve their goals. I wonder, in your opinion, how are these two areas related? For example, I have always used https://plainmath.net/secondary/calculus-and-analysis/calculus-1 to do my homework well, since I myself have never had a mathematical mindset. And on this and similar resources, one could always find step-by-step solutions to hundreds of calculus 1 problems. One way or another, this did not affect my success and achievements in sports. How was it for you?

Last edited:
KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, depends on the sport, but first thought that comes to mind is, that many sports require logical solutions made in reaction to others actions.

For example, you may have heard BJJ (and grappling in general) described as a game of chess. And when I used to grapple, like many others, I tried to have a some kind of plan for every situation and position possible. I would do a move or sense my opponent starting a move and I would have an action/reaction ready for every possible action/reaction my opponent may have and then have actions/reactions for their possible next action/reaction and so forth. So the root idea involves same kind of logical thinking as doing math. And this applies to most sports, imo.

And same could be said for constructing a workout plan or long period stradegy to get to your best form and performance, given your atrributes, weaknesses etc.

But to make a better comment/opinion on your question, I think you need to open it up a bit more.

Last edited:

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you asking guys. Most people that go into anything requiring a high level of mathematics are usually men. It would be interesting if you asked female athletes and the answer was the same. Think men like math better then women is all.

mic30

Awards
Math is really important in most of the sports, I am a golfer and the official Rules of Golf, which are continually being revised and updated as new equipment emerges, have close ties to mathematics. In many cases, math is used to place limitations on golf equipment(Killarney-golf), such as restricting the distance the ball will travel, as predicted by mathematical models. The Rules also place limits on a value called the coefficient of restitution, which measures the efficiency of the impact between a club and ball.