Marshall Sylver's hypnosis

Manwhore

Awards
This guy hypnotized my friend while we were in California about 12yrs ago and i just heard him on Howard Stern today. I know he's good and this stuff really works. Has anyone here ever used this for improvment in their lives?

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
I never really believed in hypnosis... Penn And Teller's Bullshit had a really good show on hypnosis trying to prove how really fake it is... most hypnosis patients are generally people with low self esteem and feel they need others to influence them because they beleive they cannot help themselves... its more or less a therapy tactic used to rob people of there money

Manwhore

Awards
I never really believed in hypnosis... Penn And Teller's Bullshit had a really good show on hypnosis trying to prove how really fake it is... most hypnosis patients are generally people with low self esteem and feel they need others to influence them because they beleive they cannot help themselves... its more or less a therapy tactic used to rob people of there money
Ha Ha that's the 1st time i heard that. I'm sure there are many fake hypnotists out there looking to swindle people of their money but trust me hypnosis works. I'll tell both my friends that you said they should do something about their low self esteem :)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I heard that on Stern, and let me say Ronnie the limo driver was hilarious!!! :rofl:

Hypnosis...not sure, I definitely think it could be BS, but I'm not entirely convinced it hasn't helped anyone either (with a small drain from the wallet, of course).

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
Ha Ha that's the 1st time i heard that. I'm sure there are many fake hypnotists out there looking to swindle people of their money but trust me hypnosis works. I'll tell both my friends that you said they should do something about their low self esteem :)
like i said its not that it cant work.. but its just suggestion.. its not like someone puts you into a trance and then magically your cured of your addiction or whatever your doing it for just cause he says a few words.. you can kind of think of it like religion its a guide something to help you.. all im saying everyone has the power to do ANYTHING you think hypnosis can do for you all it takes is some sort of motovation... also all those hypnotists that do whole crowd hypnosis they interviewed them and they admit its all a show.. even the people doing it say the know what there doing but are just playing along because either they dont want to be left out or just for fun.. if you ever notice in the show they always remove the people who arent going along with it...

Manwhore

Awards
like i said its not that it cant work.. but its just suggestion.. its not like someone puts you into a trance and then magically your cured of your addiction or whatever your doing it for just cause he says a few words.. you can kind of think of it like religion its a guide something to help you.. all im saying everyone has the power to do ANYTHING you think hypnosis can do for you all it takes is some sort of motovation... also all those hypnotists that do whole crowd hypnosis they interviewed them and they admit its all a show.. even the people doing it say the know what there doing but are just playing along because either they dont want to be left out or just for fun.. if you ever notice in the show they always remove the people who arent going along with it...
All i can say is your way off bro.

Manwhore

Awards
ok explain to me in your words how it works.. oh also you should check really out Penn and Tellers Bullshit episode on the subject... if you got a program like shareaza you should be able to find it also here http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/topics.do theres a short clip on it
They're talking about BULLSHIT hypnotists who take your money claiming to be able to help you quit smoking in 1 session although i do know of someone who does this with great success but that's another story. I'm talking about the subconscious mind and real hypnosis. If you know anything about the conscious mind and the subconscious mind then you will know it works. I think you have the wrong idea about hypnosis. You might have watched too many vampire movies when you were younger. :) No offence dude just making a joke

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
They're talking about BULLSHIT hypnotists who take your money claiming to be able to help you quit smoking in 1 session although i do know of someone who does this with great success but that's another story. I'm talking about the subconscious mind and real hypnosis. If you know anything about the conscious mind and the subconscious mind then you will know it works. I think you have the wrong idea about hypnosis. You might have watched too many vampire movies when you were younger. :) No offence dude just making a joke
if you see the show the talk about ALL hypnosis.. anyway yes I know plently about the subconsious mind.. I used to be heavily into Shaolin Kung Fu.. A lot of the teachings have to do with meditation and getting in touch with your mind and spirit.. Guess you could argue hypnosis is supposed to help you sort of how meditation can.. all im saying is if you want ot waste your money on crap from people like Marshall Sylver your getting ripped off

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Hypnosis is absolutely real. That's not to say there are some charlatans out there who use it to make money. If you look at many top athletes many use self hypnosis. Frank Zane used it allot. While not know for his size he was known for always peaking at the right time. Top Platz used it to bring his upper body up to his lower body's condition. Arnold said that he can cause the blood to flow to his muscles or get a pump with out lifting. There have been cases of people who have stuck pins threw their arm and drawn no blood. There have been cases of people who are terminally ill who have used self hypnosis to cure themselves.

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
Hypnosis is absolutely real. That's not to say there are some charlatans out there who use it to make money. If you look at many top athletes many use self hypnosis. Frank Zane used it allot. While not know for his size he was known for always peaking at the right time. Top Platz used it to bring his upper body up to his lower body's condition. Arnold said that he can cause the blood to flow to his muscles or get a pump with out lifting. There have been cases of people who have stuck pins threw their arm and drawn no blood. There have been cases of people who are terminally ill who have used self hypnosis to cure themselves.
sounds more like meditation to me

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
sounds more like meditation to me
It is but Hypnosis and meditation are similar. This is why meditation is referred as self hypnosis sometimes.

Manwhore

Awards
Thanks you

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Another way to look at it is how can it be BS if there is such a thing called placebo effect.

Sanosuke

Sanosuke

Awards
  • Established
Another way to look at it is how can it be BS if there is such a thing called placebo effect.
saying that would mean it IS BS.. since the placebo effect is all generated by your mind to effect your body.. if hypnosis worked like that than it would be like i said just an influence which you can accomplish yourself without spending hundreds of dollars.. people like Marshall Sylver are making millions selling a placebo is what your saying VanillaGorilla

also i need to mention what is your defenition of being hypnotized? do you i believe you can put a person in a restful sort of trance by talking to them and making suggestions, then TRY to make suggestions into there subconcious? yes sure I do.. but hypnosis is sold to the public as a method of control over another person and a way to force influence opon them and that just isnt possible... if you really want something to enhance your body through your mind id suggest Tai Chi

Last edited:

Manwhore

Awards
but hypnosis is sold to the public as a method of control over another person and a way to force influence opon them and that just isnt possible
Yes it is by the people your talking about. Marshall Sylver tells you himself that he can not make anyone do anything that they really do not want to do. I don't think he said this but the Subconscious has it's own kind of Conscious when it comes to things like KILL SOMEONE KILL YOURSELF these are things that you just won't do under hypnosis unless your crazy already but who knows maybe someone could be persuaded to do these things while under hypnosis. i mean it worked in The Naked Gun Right? KILL THE QUEEN :) Your basically putting your conscious to sleep,like you do every day when driving,watching TV,and during many other things throughout the day. you let your subconscious take control and your subconscious has no reasoning,it does what it's told.

Manwhore

Awards
but hypnosis is sold to the public as a method of control over another person and a way to force influence opon them and that just isnt possible...
Well it might not be possible for someone to walk up to you hypnotize you and make you do something that you may not normally want to do. OK i agree with that but people are influenced every day by hypnosis. I think hypnosis is anything that diffectly effects the subconscious mind by distracting the conscious mind. Maybe i'm wrong.... Force influence doesn't work because it causes people to put up their gaurd(the conscious mind). Marshall Sylver makes money by teaching others how to induce self hypnosis and by putting on REAL hypnosis shows(seen 2 friends under trust me it's real). Just as with anything else in life,there are hard ways of doing things and easy ways. He teaches the easy way so people don't have to rely on trial and error. Well,anyway i ordered his book for $2 $5 with shipping so i'll see how it is..... One more thing: Another way of looking at it is like misdirection. Your misdirecting the conscious mind to get to the subconscious but i think John Travolta said it best in Swordfish.... Misdirection. What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
saying that would mean it IS BS.. since the placebo effect is all generated by your mind to effect your body.. if hypnosis worked like that than it would be like i said just an influence which you can accomplish yourself without spending hundreds of dollars.. people like Marshall Sylver are making millions selling a placebo is what your saying VanillaGorilla
The placebo effect means that the mind has control and influence over the body. What you are essentially doing with hypnosis is slowing your brain waves down and taping into your subconscious mind. While your there at a deeper level of mind the hypnotist gives you suggestions be it a party trick like not being able to see some one in the room or something more productive such as stopping an unwanted habit or increasing performance in a sport. With hypnosis you need someone giving you the suggestions with self hypnosis you give yourself the suggestions. While I really don't know anything about Marshall Sylver. My guess is if he is legitimate is what he is selling is teaching someone or giving them the tools to tap their own unconscious. Again the guy could be a total fraud I don't know. What hypnosis and self hypnosis does is to elicit and give you control over the placebo effect. It also helps in mind body communication. You mentioned you were into the martial arts. There are monks that can literally go out side in freezing weather with just a blanket and cause their body temperature to heat up so much they sweat. If you read the book peak performance by Charles Garfield, he was put into a trance or a meditative state by the soviets. Apparently he was into power lifting but hadn't work out for around three years. After or while in the meditative state he lifted the same amount he had when he was on the top of his game.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
Yes it is by the people your talking about. Marshall Sylver tells you himself that he can not make anyone do anything that they really do not want to do. I don't think he said this but the Subconscious has it's own kind of Conscious when it comes to things like KILL SOMEONE KILL YOURSELF these are things that you just won't do under hypnosis unless your crazy already but who knows maybe someone could be persuaded to do these things while under hypnosis. i mean it worked in The Naked Gun Right? KILL THE QUEEN :) Your basically putting your conscious to sleep,like you do every day when driving,watching TV,and during many other things throughout the day. you let your subconscious take control and your subconscious has no reasoning,it does what it's told.
The government actually tried to do this. They were basically trying to create a Manchurian candidate or an assassin that doesn't know they are an assassin. When they put them in a trance and gave them a gun with no bullets they would pull the trigger. However, when they gave them a gun with bullets the subject would not pull the trigger. There are some conspiracy theories that say they got around that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Conagher General Chat 26