Making up for sessions you have to cut short

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Say if it’s chest and triceps day, something comes up and you have to cut your session short. What are the pros and cons of making up the sets you missed later that day?
Would whether or not you had a meal in between your sessions make a difference?
Would you be better off making up for those sets on another day?

Harishusain

Harishusain

Awards
  • First Up Vote
What are the pros and cons of making up the sets you missed later that day?
Pros -

You get the day's work in.
Supporting muscles come back stronger after a few hours rest.
Arnold did it, AM and PM sessions.

Cons -

Two trips to the gym.

Would whether or not you had a meal in between your sessions make a difference?
Assuming you have eaten appropriately and had enough time to digest, you'll come back with your glycogen replenished. So performance wise, yes, there's a slight benefit to doing this. In terms of gains /fat loss, negligible if any IMO.

Would you be better off making up for those sets on another day?
It might not always be practical to make another run to the gym. If you hit everything twice a week I'd do it the next day. Otherwise just do what makes sense in your schedule for the week.

Don't overthink it. Just get the work in.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I mean if it isn't something that is continually happening I wouldn't overthink it. If I had time I probably would (because I am a bit obsessive), but one day isn't going to make or break you.

If it is a common thing or wanting to look into split training is a totally different question.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I mean if it isn't something that is continually happening I wouldn't overthink it. If I had time I probably would (because I am a bit obsessive), but one day isn't going to make or break you.

If it is a common thing or wanting to look into split training is a totally different question.
This! If you have the time, great. Otherwise, just do what you can and get it next time.