Low E2

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
okay, so here's the deal...

a couple years back I started having low T symptoms after recovering from several surgeries and a long layoff. when I went to the doc, I was right on the edge, and they said they wouldn't treat me (251 ref 193-836). I got blood work done on my own, and came back as 285 ref 348-1197. my E2 was 25.9 ref 7.6-42.6.

I started clomid at 25 mg/day and A-dex at .1 mg/day (yes, 1/10 mg). that brought my testosterone way up to 893, but my E2 dropped to under 5.

I quit the A-dex and my E2 came back up to 18 at one point, but kept the clomid off and on for the past couple years. I came off about a month ago, and got some recent bloodwork. my testosterone is around 525, but the E2 dropped again to under 5.....

I'm not taking any AI's since I first tanked my E2. I take ZMA and melatonin at night, and a pre-workout before I workout. I drink a couple times a week, and eat about 75% good. fatter than I should be...

anyway, does anybody have an idea why my E2 would still be so low? any ideas on how to rectify this?

I will have my yearly doc appt coming up, and am going to mention this then, but am looking for some advice...

sespress

Awards
That's crazy, there should be some estrogen around if your not on an AI.

So your saying that you haven't had an AI in years? How long exactly?

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
That's crazy, there should be some estrogen around if your not on an AI.

So your saying that you haven't had an AI in years? How long exactly?
yeah, I stopped it after my first test came back low. around Sep '15, maybe?

it did go back up to 18, but apparently came back down....

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
You may have triggered a gene expression that may cause decreased activity in aromatase.
Some times in rare instance, I may have to promote estrogen in a guy when all other attempts have failed.
I would check the validity of the test with a 24 hour urine from dutch or Rhein to see if the blood test is accurate or not
You may be taking the wrong assay when testing as many are inaccurate..

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Hi CatSnake,

You can't get good labs for E2 after being on clomid you need to be off it a dam long time.

If you gave Rem Sleep Wood your not low of if you can get it up your not low on E2.

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
You may have triggered a gene expression that may cause decreased activity in aromatase.
Some times in rare instance, I may have to promote estrogen in a guy when all other attempts have failed.
I would check the validity of the test with a 24 hour urine from dutch or Rhein to see if the blood test is accurate or not
You may be taking the wrong assay when testing as many are inaccurate..
how do you promote estrogen? the only thing I could see online was increasing total testosterone with the intent of causing more aromatization...

FWIW, I have some sides of decreased E2 as well.... joint pain, etc.

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
Hi CatSnake,

You can't get good labs for E2 after being on clomid you need to be off it a dam long time.
why? I could see the level being higher because the SERM blocking the ER, but not lower...

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
CatSnake,

I don’t know why I read this at Dr. John's forum when he was here. Matrix might remember about this.

But if your having joint pain and cant get it up for sex even a little sex you might be low.

When I first tried Arimidex I was very high was one of first to try it at the forum I was at. I went was above the top of the range to below the bottom of the range of 20 a women's test that was all they had at the time.

I was on gels at the time and it took me 4 weeks to get my levels back up.

I never tried Clomid to many sides for me been on TRT over 35 yrs.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Guys with lower e2 respond better to clomid or HCG then TRT when trying to raise estrogen.
These cases need to be approached from the therapeutic response rather then trying to track labs as there are many variables measured which may be false in the labs

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
Update:

So, I got my estradiol checked at the VA last week, and their test showed it was 34 pg/ml.

I had heard some complaints a while back about LabCorp's E2 test (thru Private MD Labs), and am now wondering about it's accuracy. none of my bloodwork was ever anywhere near 34, and I'm leaner and drinking less now, so I would assume it would even be less likely to be increased, unless the test was screwed up in the first place.

FWIW, I was looking into some closer places to do bloodwork, and might have found a DiscountedLabs closer, and might try that out.

anybody heard anything bad about Labcorps E2 test?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know that LabCorp does NOT use the ultra sensitive E2 test. Nelson Vergel's Discounted Labs does.

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
I know that LabCorp does NOT use the ultra sensitive E2 test. Nelson Vergel's Discounted Labs does.
correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that just have a broader range? or is the test actually more accurate?

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
LabCorp still has regular and Sensitive E2 tests.

For me, it was over 5 years ago, that I used LabCorp's Sensitive E2 test and got back results that were LOW normal range.
That results did not make sense, and other people on this site had had the same LOW range results from the sensitive E2 test.
So, 5 days after the Sensitive E2 test I took LabCorp's Regular E2 test and got back results above 40.
Many people at that time had the same "Lower than actual E2 results" from the LabCorp Sensitive E2 test.

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
LabCorp still has regular and Sensitive E2 tests.

For me, it was over 5 years ago, that I used LabCorp's Sensitive E2 test and got back results that were LOW normal range.
That results did not make sense, and other people on this site had had the same LOW range results from the sensitive E2 test.
So, 5 days after the Sensitive E2 test I took LabCorp's Regular E2 test and got back results above 40.
Many people at that time had the same "Lower than actual E2 results" from the LabCorp Sensitive E2 test.
interesting.

I will try the other lab out then....

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Need the one with the range of 8-35 as this is the more accurate one

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
That's the proper one.
I use that test with people coming from over seas, along with other profiles available on line.

trtdoc

trtdoc

Awards
I would have to question the validity of the tests. It is extremely rare to not aromatize AT ALL. Also, very unhealthy. I would def refer to endo for this case. You need to have FSH tested, also low endogenous test leads to low estradiol as estradiol is created through testosterone conversion. Could be lacking enzyme aromatase. Many variables

Dr. B

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Good point doctor
In these situations, I would have cross check with a 24 hour hormone from Dutch to validate. Why I like to suggested to run blood and urine together to get best overall clinical picture.

CatSnake

Awards
  • Established
got my bloodwork back today....

according to DiscountedLabs, my estradiol is 14 (range 8-35). testosterone is low... 265 ( range 264-916).

I actually already started cloimd, so I'll get follow-up bloodwork in a bit to see what it's at.

side note: this is still done by Labcorp, apparently.....

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi CatSnake,

If you gave Rem Sleep Wood your not low of if you can get it up your not low on E2.
This is not true for everyone. I recently crushed my E2 to <5 and could still get it up and have sex, it was just difficult to finish. I would still occasionally get morning wood too, or wood when falling asleep/napping. However, my anxiety levels were through the roof when I crushed my E2, and this was an indicator for me that I went way too low. This led me to go get labs asap and my assumptions were correct.

I would not use erection strength or function as an indicator as it's simply not a good method for everyone.

Dr.C

Dr.C

Awards
It's really important that you are using the sensitive assays for E2

Arrow777

Awards
Catsnake i also got back some weirdly low E2 numbers from labcorp (via private mdlabs). E2 as <5. I have no low E symptoms so....yeah. ive also heard of plenty of other cases where people have had same experience with odd E2 numbers through that particylar lab.