Losing Your Pet, Your Best Friend :-(

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don’t usually post personal stuff but I love the AM community, you are family, and there is no other place I’d rather reach out to than here as I’m not a big Facebook or Instagram guy.

I’ve had the hardest week of my life, nothing comes close to it. My wife and I had to put our best friend Lily down a few days ago and it’s been beyond hard to deal with, almost to the point where we both feel pretty empty inside and our house feels eerily quiet. It all happened so sudden as on Monday she was her normal playful self celebrating my birthday and on Tuesday morning we were in the ER with her receiving the horrible news that she had a tumor on her heart and the blood that was draining into her protective sac could not be stopped. We took her home and spent one final day with her feeding her all the stuff we could never feed her and giving her all the love she deserved until the Vet came to our house to put her to sleep in our arms and in our home, everything she loved. I can’t explain in words how hard it was (and still is), how surreal it all felt, and how much pain accompanies it. Everywhere I look I’m reminded of her, I almost think I see her still there in her favorite spots, but she isn’t. Our other dog (a little Yorkie) isn’t the same either, she won’t move from the spot where Lily took her last breath, and it hurts so much to see that too.

Has anyone here had to put their best friend to sleep and if so what helped you cope with the pain that you felt and emptiness you have inside? Thank you

IMG_5744.JPG

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sorry about your loss brother! Time heals....
Thanks for sharing your story

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Oh man, condolences on your loss. Losing a pet is devastating. They are a core part of the family.

I don’t have any advice other than to tell you what works for me.

For me, the best healing is sharing the memories of a life that shined brightly in our home, bringing so much joy and entertainment over the years. If you can, please share your fondest memories of Lily with us. I love dogs and enjoy “dog stories.”

We got another puppy about a year after our dogs passed. The new puppy can’t replace the lost family member. But having another animal to love and entertain us reminds us of the joy we missed.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

God bless.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don’t usually post personal stuff but I love the AM community, you are family, and there is no other place I’d rather reach out to than here as I’m not a big Facebook or Instagram guy.

I’ve had the hardest week of my life, nothing comes close to it. My wife and I had to put our best friend Lily down a few days ago and it’s been beyond hard to deal with, almost to the point where we both feel pretty empty inside and our house feels eerily quiet. It all happened so sudden as on Monday she was her normal playful self celebrating my birthday and on Tuesday morning we were in the ER with her receiving the horrible news that she had a tumor on her heart and the blood that was draining into her protective sac could not be stopped. We took her home and spent one final day with her feeding her all the stuff we could never feed her and giving her all the love she deserved until the Vet came to our house to put her to sleep in our arms and in our home, everything she loved. I can’t explain in words how hard it was (and still is), how surreal it all felt, and how much pain accompanies it. Everywhere I look I’m reminded of her, I almost think I see her still there in her favorite spots, but she isn’t. Our other dog (a little Yorkie) isn’t the same either, she won’t move from the spot where Lily took her last breath, and it hurts so much to see that too.

Has anyone here had to put their best friend to sleep and if so what helped you cope with the pain that you felt and emptiness you have inside? Thank you

View attachment 175802
Sorry for your loss brother. We lost ours a few years back, he was 14 we had him cremated and he sits on the shelf. We now have one of his son's and spoil the sh*t out of him. Just like we did his father.20180323_223841.jpeg

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Sorry for your loss. Unfortunately nothing really helps except time. Eventually your be able to think of your pet without feeling all the sorrow but it does take time.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
One of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Like the others said, time helps. You don't get over it, but you learn how to live with it.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh man, condolences on your loss. Losing a pet is devastating. They are a core part of the family.

I don’t have any advice other than to tell you what works for me.

For me, the best healing is sharing the memories of a life that shined brightly in our home, bringing so much joy and entertainment over the years. If you can, please share your fondest memories of Lily with us. I love dogs and enjoy “dog stories.”

We got another puppy about a year after our dogs passed. The new puppy can’t replace the lost family member. But having another animal to love and entertain us reminds us of the joy we missed.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

God bless.
I will def do this and share my best memories of her! There’s so many that I’ll have to really think which are the best! Thank you bro!

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sorry for your loss brother. We lost ours a few years back, he was 14 we had him cremated and he sits on the shelf. We now have one of his son's and spoil the sh*t out of him. Just like we did his father.View attachment 175804
He was a cutie! We decided to get Lily cremated as well, just don’t know where would be best yet. I wish now that we could have bred her, that was good that you did because he lives on through his son :)

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

3 years ago (October 15th) my best friend was having a hard time breathing. I carried him to the car and we both new this was it. He'd bee going down hill for a while and we moved to the first floor apartment so he wouldn't labor to go out. He isolated himself at times. He knew. I shouted after leaving him with the vet. It was an ER Vet at 3:00am, the same time my father died and on the same day in October.

Still, had to fill that gap in my life.
Slept on the kitchen floor when he cried as a pup.
I fed him by hand when he wouldn't eat.
We were inseperable.

I wrote an article about the best friend I never wanted but took in.
I still cry. Almost needed therapy, but I relented and got a new boy who'll break my heart again.

My throat has a lump in it from just this post but I wanted to share with you, as you're not alone in this because you shared your heart with a special loved one brought into your pack. They are all very special and are unique. This is my boy that passed on, and I know all dogs go to heaven. Holding back tears now.

0.jpeg

grondi

grondi

Awards
IMG_0281.JPG
Lost this girl 6 weeks ago... Lived to 17 years.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That's one of the worst things to have to do, I really feel for you. Good on you guys for doing it the way you did, in a place she was most comfortable and with you guys there.

I get severe anxiety and nearly tear up knowing that one day this will come for our dog.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I had a dachshund die of heart failure a few years ago. Absolutely destroyed me. She was the love of my life, my absolute pride and joy. I had another dog at the time, and it took about two days for him to figure out that she was gone. Seeing him in the moment he realized it was the most heart breaking thing ever. Tried to feed him and his legs got wobbly, and he collapsed by his bowl of food. I was already a mess, but this wrecked me. Was the hardest part of the whole thing.

Ultimately, I took solace in knowing I spoiled that little girl rotten and gave her a great life. And, my other dog needed me as his pack leader, so I focused on making sure he felt loved.

Sorry for your loss. It sucks losing a dog. I know it hurts, but it’ll get easier.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 175817
Lost this girl 6 weeks ago... Lived to 17 years.
our dog sid turned 20 in sept...he was a rescue dog so not sure his exact birthdate so sid and i celebrate our birthday together 9/16.

he still has a good appetite and loves to snuggle under my chair when we watch tv, but I have to carry him up and down the back porch stairs to potty. I feel your pain, I will be a total mess when the time comes-it really will be losing a family member.

GOD BLESS!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

View attachment 175802
BROTHER, I know this sounds cliché...but I really do feel your pain!!!

GOD BLESS

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Been there. Twice. First was a stray that somebody dumped off and he turned up at our house. Not sure why, but I felt sorry for him and fed him. 16 years later, his hips had given out, back was shot, I had to carry him outside and into the bedroom. And same as you, we had the vet come out to the house. As the vet gave him the 2nd shot, he reached over and licked my hand
That was 12 years ago, and it still hits hard.

All these stories have the same tone. They weren't pets, they were a part of us. They knew our mood, and knew what we needed. And they all left when it was their time, not ours.

Chris, just like the rest of us, you're an animal lover. At some point, you'll get another. Not a replacement, but another member of the family. Another life that will become a part of you.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Been there. Twice. First was a stray that somebody dumped off and he turned up at our house. Not sure why, but I felt sorry for him and fed him. 16 years later, his hips had given out, back was shot, I had to carry him outside and into the bedroom. And same as you, we had the vet come out to the house. As the vet gave him the 2nd shot, he reached over and licked my hand

All these stories have the same tone. They weren't pets, they were a part of us. They knew our mood, and knew what we needed. And they all left when it was their time, not ours.

Chris, just like the rest of us, you're an animal lover. At some point, you'll get another. Not a replacement, but another member of the family. Another life that will become a part of you.
Wow bro. So well said.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
3 years ago (October 15th) my best friend was having a hard time breathing. I carried him to the car and we both new this was it. He'd bee going down hill for a while and we moved to the first floor apartment so he wouldn't labor to go out. He isolated himself at times. He knew. I shouted after leaving him with the vet. It was an ER Vet at 3:00am, the same time my father died and on the same day in October.

Still, had to fill that gap in my life.
Slept on the kitchen floor when he cried as a pup.
I fed him by hand when he wouldn't eat.
We were inseperable.

I wrote an article about the best friend I never wanted but took in.
I still cry. Almost needed therapy, but I relented and got a new boy who'll break my heart again.

My throat has a lump in it from just this post but I wanted to share with you, as you're not alone in this because you shared your heart with a special loved one brought into your pack. They are all very special and are unique. This is my boy that passed on, and I know all dogs go to heaven. Holding back tears now.

Man, that hurt to read that brother and I now know that lump in the thrust pain you feel. That inseparable bond of a spirit that helped you get through every rough moment in your life and always made you feel better and come out a better person. They are the amazing creatures and truly the most loving, loyal, and giving on the planet. They’re like our living guardian angels...

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Thank you Sterling, so we’ll said! Lily gave ya each one last kiss (lick) each in her final minute. She was very very weak and out of it but mustered up the strength to give us each her last bit of love she could. It’s truly amazing what dogs do for us.

TheMyth

TheMyth

RADIATE LOVER
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had a dachshund die of heart failure a few years ago. Absolutely destroyed me. She was the love of my life, my absolute pride and joy. I had another dog at the time, and it took about two days for him to figure out that she was gone. Seeing him in the moment he realized it was the most heart breaking thing ever. Tried to feed him and his legs got wobbly, and he collapsed by his bowl of food. I was already a mess, but this wrecked me. Was the hardest part of the whole thing.

Ultimately, I took solace in knowing I spoiled that little girl rotten and gave her a great life. And, my other dog needed me as his pack leader, so I focused on making sure he felt loved.

Sorry for your loss. It sucks losing a dog. I know it hurts, but it’ll get easier.
Oh man, I can’t imagine having to have to go through that, seeing your best friend pass like that is absolutely horrible, I’m sorry brotha! I’m trying to get our other dog out of her depression. She isn’t the same and she just won’t leave the spot where we put Lily down, it’s like she still senses her spirit there, it’s really sad.

They really out the love of our lives, at least for many of us. Never will you ever find anything, or anyone, so loyal, so loving, so giving without wanting anything in return but your approval. Truly amazing!

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's always hard to lose a pet that has become a part of your family. My deepest condolences my friend.

A few years ago I had to have my dog put down. I'd had her for almost 15 years and she still acted like a puppy until she got the internal bleeding. She was my best friend and would sleep on the other side of the bed. When I got married, my wife took her spot in bed and she wasn't happy about it. Lol! Sally would just stand there and stare at my wife as she was laying in bed which kinda creeped her out. Didn't take long for them to become close though. Then when my daughter was born, Sally was right there watching over her. It was terribly rough having to put her down but she was in pain and there wasn't anything that could be done. The next year we adopted another pit bull from the shelter. She was just about a year old and had so much of the same personality as Sally that I had to get her. That's what really helped me deal with losing Sally. Here's one of my favorite pics of my daughter with Sally.

15447308725890.jpg

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wanted to do a tribute collage of pictures of Sally but I couldn't stand going through all the pictures of her. Even now, it still gets me teary eyed thinking about what a great friend she was.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I wanted to do a tribute collage of pictures of Sally but I couldn't stand going through all the pictures of her. Even now, it still gets me teary eyed thinking about what a great friend she was.
you are a good man, luke!!!

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
It's always hard to lose a pet that has become a part of your family. My deepest condolences my friend.

A few years ago I had to have my dog put down. I'd had her for almost 15 years and she still acted like a puppy until she got the internal bleeding. She was my best friend and would sleep on the other side of the bed. When I got married, my wife took her spot in bed and she wasn't happy about it. Lol! Sally would just stand there and stare at my wife as she was laying in bed which kinda creeped her out. Didn't take long for them to become close though. Then when my daughter was born, Sally was right there watching over her. It was terribly rough having to put her down but she was in pain and there wasn't anything that could be done. The next year we adopted another pit bull from the shelter. She was just about a year old and had so much of the same personality as Sally that I had to get her. That's what really helped me deal with losing Sally. Here's one of my favorite pics of my daughter with Sally.

View attachment 176091
She looks alot like my lola....sorry for ur lose20160506_070931.jpg