Losing my running stamina

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
I don't know how normal this is.

In my early 30s I was doing HIIT, 30 seconds running, rest 30 seconds on 1.5 incline. I'd do that for about 20 minutes.

When I hit around 34 years old I'd max out around 15 minutes.

Now at 37 I feel like I'm gonna pass out at around 10 minutes doing everything the same.

I need to fix this!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I don't know how normal this is.

In my early 30s I was doing HIIT, 30 seconds running, rest 30 seconds on 1.5 incline. I'd do that for about 20 minutes.

When I hit around 34 years old I'd max out around 15 minutes.

Now at 37 I feel like I'm gonna pass out at around 10 minutes doing everything the same.

I need to fix this!
It's not your age, look into underlying issues or just your overall effort in training and conditioning. You will find guys decreasing there marathon times as they continue to get older. Running is not my thing but I have friends that run marathons. My buddy is 41 and getting better times each race still.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
My boxing endurance is directly reflective of my training and bodyweight

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Age does play a factor .... Or we'd be at our very best by 80, if we kept up our training, nutrition, etc.
Do you get regular check-ups?
How is your nutrition, sleep, hydration, etc...?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Age does play a factor .... Or we'd be at our very best by 80, if we kept up our training, nutrition, etc.
There's a difference between 80 and 35, but also.....
Screenshot_20220903-195813~2.png

This dude is 100 now but set a marathon record in his 80's

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There's another guy who's 101 who has multiple marathon record times he set between age 79-90

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm not trying to say that this is normal, I just thought it was amazing and I wanted to share it

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Imagine a 100 year old Man challenges you to a race, and then he beats you and sets a world record In the process lol. How would you feel......

Seriously 😂😂😂
LOL.
Yep
:ROFLMAO:

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
It has to be hydration. Probably from a mix of kratom and caffeine.

My diet and sleep have been the same or even better than in my early 30s. I hate thinking it's age, but it's a crazy drop after just a few years.

I don't do any check ups at the doctor.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

My diet and sleep have been the same or even better than in my early 30s. I hate thinking it's age, but it's a crazy drop after just a few years.

Yeah, caffeine and kratom can really dry you out. That can be rough with something like running.
I have to stay on top of it myself.

I'm going to send you a message....

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I'm 37 also, I'm definitely without a doubt in the best shape of my life for strength/stamina and pretty much everything. While age can be a factor, 37 is not old. Tom Brady is like 45 and still the best or one of the best QB in the NFL, Anderson Silva is still fighting at age 45, last year beat a former boxing world champion In a boxing match and Anderson is not even a boxer.

My point is, don't let age be a excuse. At least not for another 10 years.

Train smarter, train harder, you got this

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
I'm 37 also, I'm definitely without a doubt in the best shape of my life for strength/stamina and pretty much everything. While age can be a factor, 37 is not old. Tom Brady is like 45 and still the best or one of the best QB in the NFL, Anderson Silva is still fighting at age 45, last year beat a former boxing world champion In a boxing match and Anderson is not even a boxer.

My point is, don't let age be a excuse. At least not for another 10 years.

Train smarter, train harder, you got this
I'm not making it an excuse, thank you though.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Yeah, I don't think your age is holding back your potential on running stamina, but it may be a challenge increasing factor. I have noticed that for me aging does effect many things related to working out, like recovery time, how fast performance goes down, if having a break from training, due to injury or for what ever reason etc. And the same things done the same way may not produce the same results, as it did in the past. So you may just have to switch something up and approach the running training a little different.

Also one thing to consider is, how has your body composition and weight changed since your best running days? I was at my best cardio performance level, when I was younger and played basketball on a pretty high level, and it would be tough to get back to that level, cause' I'm 20-25 lbs heavier now. I believe I could get to the same cardio performace level, if I really wanted, but not with this much lifting in the pictrue. It would have to be the main goal. Remember that increase in muscle mass increases oxygen expenditure. So if you have build more muscle, then that alone can affect your cardio.

Anyway my point is try to approach it differently, if the same things don't work so well anymore. Usually it's stuff like taking more time and smaller increments in training to get closer to your goal. If you're not doing lower intensity and longer lasting cardio already, then I suggest adding that in. Doing both low and high intensity cardio training has allways benefitted the performance in both areas for me.

For the HIIT running you could try something like 30 sec sprint - 60 sec rest, do that for 10 mins and add one sprint per HIIT session untill you're at 15 min. Then reduce the rest period to 45 sec and do the 10 min again and go towards the 15 min. Then reduce the rest to 30 sec and start from 10 min again and go towards the 15 min. If this still works, then do the same thing from 15 min to 20 min. Stuff like that for example with small increments and easier WO's along the way.

I'm not discounting the hydration or other possible factors and those are definitely things to look into. And if your overall recovering ability has dimished and you're still pushing as hard, then it's worth to note, that not fully recovered and tense muscles tend to recuire more oxygen/energy. I notice this when doing cardio the next day after a heavy squat or DL, for example. Or when just being overall beat up from working out. Foam rolling, mobility excercises, streching may help.

Last edited:
MakeTime3

MakeTime3

Awards
IMO, I’d research running book/s that deal with your problem (if you already haven’t), find the best one that might be able to answer some of your questions, and read it from front to back.

Also, do you do any other form of running besides the HIIT? Example: do you run for time, speed, or both? Do you cross train at all: weights, swimming, etc?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just a heads up you are going to just gets shots in the dark with something as vague as this. There’s so many things that could be causing the issue of such an non specific question and information.

Your limiting factor probably changed with whatever else you are doing as well so what you had been doing is no longer benefiting you in the way you need to maintain what you had previously been doing.

what is limiting you tho could be a ton of things, but at least it seems some have started you down the right path.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Did you gain weight?

Have you been doing any bloodwork? Is testosterone more or less where it was 5 years ago? What about your CBC numbers? If your blood is thinner from lower testosterone, it won’t carry as much oxygen.

How many years have you been using Kratom?

You don’t need to answer me; my point is to look for differences from now to then beyond “well 4 years passed”.

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
You missed the entire point of the post and hyper focused on the only slightly negative part. The point was your young. Stop worrying about age and be the best you.
No, I didn't miss your point. Stop accusing me of something I'm not doing. Thanks.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
No, I didn't miss your point. Stop accusing me of something I'm not doing. Thanks.
I'm not accusing you of anything, I was try to motivate you, what a fuckin crybaby. My mind is absolutely blown right now.

You absolutely missed the point. People like you are the reason men in society have turned into a bunch of crying girls and the rest of society wants to except it.

Snowflake

Gstyle24

Awards
  • Established
IMO, I’d research running book/s that deal with your problem (if you already haven’t), find the best one that might be able to answer some of your questions, and read it from front to back.

Also, do you do any other form of running besides the HIIT? Example: do you run for time, speed, or both? Do you cross train at all: weights, swimming, etc?
Yeah it's hard to convey an issue that could go back 4-5 years. I'd rather not go through describing everything I've been doing lately in comparison to the last few months, years, etc. What's similar to what I'm doing now vs what I'm doing differently.

Maybe one day when I get the time I can write it all down, and document any improvements I've made based on what I changed.

I mentioned using kratom, which I've been using around 3 years. I think I used to use it only at night. Not before working out. And I don't think my workouts or cardio have been the same since taking a dose in the morning, and afternoon, before working out.

So I guess that will be the first thing to experiment with.