Losing fat through skin! (New Scientific Discovery!)

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
source: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/373/6554/487

Researchers treated mice with the cytokine thymic stromal lymphopoietin (TSLP) — a type of immune system protein which is involved in asthma and other allergic diseases.

They found that it led to significant fat and weight loss but it was not caused by a decreased food intake or faster metabolism.

Instead it was because the TSLP stimulated the immune system to release lipids through the skin's oil-producing sebaceous glands.

This reversed obesity in the mice and reduced their weight from 45g to a healthy 25g over a four-week period

Any chance this could become a future supplement?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
sure sounds cool.. but does that mean the rats had really bad acne too?

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
sure sounds cool.. but does that mean the rats had really bad acne too?
Lol ! I had oily skin growing up and it was horrible. Ha I’d rather just eat less then be oily all day.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
source: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/373/6554/487

Researchers treated mice with the cytokine thymic stromal lymphopoietin (TSLP) — a type of immune system protein which is involved in asthma and other allergic diseases.

They found that it led to significant fat and weight loss but it was not caused by a decreased food intake or faster metabolism.

Instead it was because the TSLP stimulated the immune system to release lipids through the skin's oil-producing sebaceous glands.

This reversed obesity in the mice and reduced their weight from 45g to a healthy 25g over a four-week period

Any chance this could become a future supplement?
I doubt it. Rodents have a much greater ability to produce and expel sebum, to the point where it eventually leaves visible trails. I think this would lead to horrific acne and sebaceous cysts in humans.

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I doubt it. Rodents have a much greater ability to produce and expel sebum, to the point where it eventually leaves visible trails. I think this would lead to horrific acne and sebaceous cysts in humans.
this would also mean that this particular compound would be more effective for them? No one, including myself , ever really takes mice or rat studies as evidence for it working the same in humans

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
this would also mean that this particular compound would be more effective for them? No one, including myself , ever really takes mice or rat studies as evidence for it working the same in humans
I wish that were true but unfortunately there's a lot of ppl who hold on to the rat studies.... I dont, but you know some guys love there studies lol.

I cannot stop thinking about fat oozing out of my pores now. It's grossing me out lol

I

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I wish that were true but unfortunately there's a lot of ppl who hold on to the rat studies.... I dont, but you know some guys love there studies lol.

I cannot stop thinking about fat oozing out of my pores now. It's grossing me out lol
I never trust studies fully. Take them with a grain of salt because They never play out to real world application and seems like there’s some ulterior motives behind a few of them lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I never trust studies fully. Take them with a grain of salt because They never play out to real world application and seems like there’s some ulterior motives behind a few of them lol
Here's a fun fact, lots of studies on rodents have results based on the type of rodents used in the study, you could do the same study on 2 different breeds of mice and get 2 different results. There's a specific breed of mouse that's commonly used for these studies because it general gets the results the person performing the study is looking for. So there's many many many ways to steer a study in the direction your looking for

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
It's like if I wanted to prove Cheetos consumption caused liver problems but only fed Cheetos to alcoholics and drug attics lol

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Umm, maybeeee? It's my speculation that if it did work well in humans there would be unpleasant side effects.

The rats they use are bread specifically to be more accurate to human results, though. In some cases they're a pretty good indicator in others you have to account for the still significant differences between rats and humans.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

I mean... I love my studies and you guys usually like the stuff I make based on them... 🤔🙃🤷‍♂️

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Here's a fun fact, lots of studies on rodents have results based on the type of rodents used in the study, you could do the same study on 2 different breeds of mice and get 2 different results. There's a specific breed of mouse that's commonly used for these studies because it general gets the results the person performing the study is looking for. So there's many many many ways to steer a study in the direction your looking for
That's why you have to detail your methodology to get published, though. Wistar rats are used almost exclusively these days for this reason.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I mean... I love my studies and you guys usually like the stuff I make based on them... 🤔🙃🤷‍♂️
But when you make the stuff we get real world user feedback from guys we somewhat trust. I know studies are important, but too many ppl live and die but what the study says without trying it for themselves.

Someone like you I prefer reads studies because you actually do something with it for further research instead of just saying, this study says this or that so it's true.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, I guess the consensus is that fatty sweat will be gross. But seriously though, patients who are severely overweight/obese could benefit from this research.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
But when you make the stuff we get real world user feedback from guys we somewhat trust. I know studies are important, but too many ppl live and die but what the study says without trying it for themselves.

Someone like you I prefer reads studies because you actually do something with it for further research instead of just saying, this study says this or that so it's true.
Studies show that you make a good point. 😏