Looking to buy a bike

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I'm really just starting to do my research on this one. It's about to be summer time and i live at the beach so...

A few questions for you guys that have some knowledge on this. This will be my first bike and i haven't done a lot of riding so i'm really looking for something to get me started. Money is a limiting factor so i may be going w/something used. What brands/models would you guys recommend and how much am i looking at $ wise. Where's the best place to buy a bike as far as quality and price is concerned. Thanks for the help.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
what type of bike are you looking for? a crotch rocket? a chopper? a hog? something else?

scarfacebling

Awards
what type of bike are you looking for? a crotch rocket? a chopper? a hog? something else?
I currently have a 2003 r6 limited edition and am looking to buy a Yamaha roadstar warrior or a Honda vtx 1800.

I would recommend getting not getting a crotch rocket there just trouble and you can only do wheelies and stopies for so long and even then you’re bound to crash sometime. I still love rockets there cheap super quick and fun but after owning one I have to say I finally understand why everyone likes cruisers and hogs. But that’s just my two cents and I also drive a Cadillac so I guess I am in to the luxury thing more then the whole sports car performance thing. As far as looking for a used bike check out cycle trader and ebay dealerships are way to expensive for used bikes.
P.S. I'm selling my r6 $6000 or b/o I can post pics if anyone is interested
heres a stock photo but its of the r1 there very similar looking
http://www.2wf.com/images/upload/YAM010.jpg

Here a link to pics of both the vtx pic is orange but I am personally looking at the black you can get a brand new 2003 model for around 8 or 9 grand not too bad considering its over 13k for a new one. The only problem is I love the warrior and that midnight paint.

yamaha
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/2/mcy/4/60/yamaha_road_star_warrior.aspx
honda

http://powersports.honda.com/assets/images/model/model_images/motorcycles/2004/large/VTX1800_Candy_Orange_Flame.jpg

tattoopierced1

Suzuki GSXR 750 or 1000 is the only bike to go with..

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I currently have a 2003 r6 limited edition and am looking to buy a Yamaha roadstar warrior or a Honda vtx 1800.

I would recommend getting not getting a crotch rocket there just trouble and you can only do wheelies and stopies for so long and even then you’re bound to crash sometime. I still love rockets there cheap super quick and fun but after owning one I have to say I finally understand why everyone likes cruisers and hogs. But that’s just my two cents and I also drive a Cadillac so I guess I am in to the luxury thing more then the whole sports car performance thing. As far as looking for a used bike check out cycle trader and ebay dealerships are way to expensive for used bikes.
P.S. I'm selling my r6 $6000 or b/o I can post pics if anyone is interested
heres a stock photo but its of the r1 there very similar looking
http://www.2wf.com/images/upload/YAM010.jpg

Here a link to pics of both the vtx pic is orange but I am personally looking at the black you can get a brand new 2003 model for around 8 or 9 grand not too bad considering its over 13k for a new one. The only problem is I love the warrior and that midnight paint.

yamaha
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/unitinfo/2/mcy/4/60/yamaha_road_star_warrior.aspx
honda

http://powersports.honda.com/assets/images/model/model_images/motorcycles/2004/large/VTX1800_Candy_Orange_Flame.jpg
thanks for the info bro. definately post some pics of your bike i would love to take a look at it.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established

P.S. I'm selling my r6 $6000 or b/o
6grand for a used 2003 600cc is absolutely way too much. You can go get a brand spanking new 6 or 750 of eitehr suszuki, yam, kaw, etc. for right around $7k...less if you really look around. Especially with places that finance. Kaw, and I think suzuki both have there summer deals going atm...something like 0 down, and 99 bucks/month or something..can't remember now. I'm usually stopping by a bike shop at least twice/week to chat, etc. with friends, etc. I'm also looking at buying a brand new bike as well. Been looking at the new lineup and can't decide which one to go with yet.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
6grand for a used 2003 600cc is absolutely way too much. You can go get a brand spanking new 6 or 750 of eitehr suszuki, yam, kaw, etc. for right around $7k...less if you really look around. Especially with places that finance. Kaw, and I think suzuki both have there summer deals going atm...something like 0 down, and 99 bucks/month or something..can't remember now. I'm usually stopping by a bike shop at least twice/week to chat, etc. with friends, etc. I'm also looking at buying a brand new bike as well. Been looking at the new lineup and can't decide which one to go with yet.
Yeah, the more i think about it the more i want to get something new. 7k is probably doable for me right now also. I live in Myrtle Beach and we have two big bike rallies here every year so we've got quite a few bike shops around. Guess i'm gonna have to start doing some searching.

0 down $99 a month sounds pretty good to me. Thanks man.

tattoopierced1

Any particular reasons why?
1. they are low priced
2. they are light weight
3. they will out perform any bike in their class. (i.e. the 750 can hang with a Honda 900 and 959s) so you get more bang for your buck.
4. they are pretty comfortable especially compared to a Kawasaki (granted they arent as comfortable as a Honda in my book, but for the price and the performance, I can overlook a bit of comfort)

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
1. they are low priced
2. they are light weight
3. they will out perform any bike in their class. (i.e. the 750 can hang with a Honda 900 and 959s) so you get more bang for your buck.
4. they are pretty comfortable especially compared to a Kawasaki (granted they arent as comfortable as a Honda in my book, but for the price and the performance, I can overlook a bit of comfort)
thank you sir. What about the GSXR 600. Keep in mind this will be my first bike.

tattoopierced1

you'll outgrow a 600... go with the 750 as the 1000 may be too much bike to handle from the start.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
You still might want to consider used... with MOST riders that I've talked to, you WILL lay it down at some point, and it really does hurt less to lay down a used bike (that probably has some minor cosmetic damage already) than it does to lay down your new shiny "baby" I also suggest taking a MSF (motorcycle safty foundation) or equivalent course (in california it allows you to get out of the DMV riding test). I agree that for most people involved in bodybuilding, a 600 will be outgrown pretty quick just due to power/weight issues (not that 100hp at the rear wheel is meager on a bike...(like all 600s make now). I personally am considering an 00-03 gsx-r 750 as a first bike, because I'm totally hooked on the gixxers, and think the smoother/higher torque curve and equal power to a modern 600 will be the ideal way to go.

ManBeast

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
True Manbeast, but at $99 a month, who cares if you lay it down. At least she'll look good going down.

tattoopierced1

just get the plastic sliders to protect the bike if you do lay it down..they work wonders and are super easy to install... they look like a 1 inch piece of PVC plastic to protect the fairings (sp?) of the bike.

R6Speed

Board Supporter
Awards
I have been riding my r6 for 3 years now as a daily driver and a few track sessions, and would not recommend anyone get a liter bike for a first bike. The new R1 puts out 180hp and weighs less than 400lbs, other new liter bikes have similar stats. And as far as outgrowing any size super sport bike its not going to happen for 99% of riders, rider skill beats power every time.

Other things to consider would be insurance cost full coverage for me would run at least 2k a year with a perfect driving record, if you finance you have to have full coverage until the bike is paid off. This depends so much on age if you are 30+ it won't be near this much. Also tires, I run through a set of tires every 3-4k miles (if you stunt you will eat them up much faster), good street tires will run you around 220 and 50 to have them put on if you take the tires off the bike yourself. The next cost is protective gear I have 1,500 in gear, but I race, for just a lid, light jacket and gloves it would run ~300. I don't know what your financial situation is but these are all things to consider.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
True Manbeast, but at $99 a month, who cares if you lay it down. At least she'll look good going down.
LMAO

I was about to jump on that deal a couple weeks ago. But decided not to since I kinda got myself in a hole with bills lately and am finally starting to get all caught up. I also want this used 2002 Yamaha Blaster ATV I've had my eyes on...lol. Don't know which one I want yet.

scarfacebling

Awards
From what I am seeing in cycle trader 6000 starting price is not unreasonable there are several of the same limited edition bikes starting at over 6000. I also have a custom painted rear wheel hugger painted to match the flames on the bike yosh pipe carbon fiber frame sliders and a windshield that’s black and fades to red. The bike looks sick the only pics I have right now are old and I am on it but I may blur my face and put them up later this week. Also your first bike you WILL lay it down. Here is a great quote I once heard “they are only two types of bikers, the ones that have fallen, and the ones that will." I don’t know anyone that ridden and not fallen. Buying a new bike especially for your first is not a good idea plus you loose like a grand the moment you drive it off the lot better to buy one that’s a few years old and dropped value already then they normally hold steady for a few years if taken care of properly. And yeah the gsxr’s are nice but with rockets its all personal preference they all have about the same power and perform awesome other then that its looks and comfort. I picked my R6 because I loved the paint job and the front end it so light. I would defiantly not recommend going over a 600 for your first bike not many riders can even push a 600 to its limits on the street the 750 I think would be ok and they are badass bikes too bad the paint job is the same on everyone and good luck finding a nice used one (for a decent price). Also you cant even tell the difference between a 600 750 or 1000 unless you look real close or see the decal on the back.

tattoopierced1

i'd go with the 750 gixxer...those things only weight like 5-10 more pounds than the 600 but have alot more torque and power....if i hadnt wrecked my last one i'd have a shiney new one in my garage right now...

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I have been riding my r6 for 3 years now as a daily driver and a few track sessions, and would not recommend anyone get a liter bike for a first bike. The new R1 puts out 180hp and weighs less than 400lbs, other new liter bikes have similar stats. And as far as outgrowing any size super sport bike its not going to happen for 99% of riders, rider skill beats power every time.

Other things to consider would be insurance cost full coverage for me would run at least 2k a year with a perfect driving record, if you finance you have to have full coverage until the bike is paid off. This depends so much on age if you are 30+ it won't be near this much. Also tires, I run through a set of tires every 3-4k miles (if you stunt you will eat them up much faster), good street tires will run you around 220 and 50 to have them put on if you take the tires off the bike yourself. The next cost is protective gear I have 1,500 in gear, but I race, for just a lid, light jacket and gloves it would run ~300. I don't know what your financial situation is but these are all things to consider.
Yeah, these are all things i'm considering. Insurance may be a hangup. I'm in my early twenties but my record is clean. As for out growing the bike i'm 5'10" about 205 so...I'm thinking that I could get along fine w/a 600 for a few years and if necessary upgrade later.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
If i do decide to go used where should my cut off be as far as mileage and year model are concerned. I know much of this depends on how well it was cared for but just a general idea as i don't want to be paying out my ass for repairs.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
You still might want to consider used... with MOST riders that I've talked to, you WILL lay it down at some point, and it really does hurt less to lay down a used bike (that probably has some minor cosmetic damage already) than it does to lay down your new shiny "baby" I also suggest taking a MSF (motorcycle safty foundation) or equivalent course (in california it allows you to get out of the DMV riding test). I agree that for most people involved in bodybuilding, a 600 will be outgrown pretty quick just due to power/weight issues (not that 100hp at the rear wheel is meager on a bike...(like all 600s make now). I personally am considering an 00-03 gsx-r 750 as a first bike, because I'm totally hooked on the gixxers, and think the smoother/higher torque curve and equal power to a modern 600 will be the ideal way to go.

ManBeast
You make some good points here. I'm thinking I could get along fine w/a 2000-03 GSXR 600. I'm gonna look into the motorcycle safety foundation. I'm in SC anyone have any info on this.

thanks everyone for the help.

tattoopierced1

You make some good points here. I'm thinking I could get along fine w/a 2000-03 GSXR 600. I'm gonna look into the motorcycle safety foundation. I'm in SC anyone have any info on this.

thanks everyone for the help.
I'm telling ya, go for the 750. At least do this, go into the shop and sit on both of them and see how they feel and how you look on them. You dont want to look like a giant on a little bike. Whatever you go with, watch out for the idiot drivers...people tend to forget about motorcycles on the road so always keep your eyes peeled.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I'm telling ya, go for the 750. At least do this, go into the shop and sit on both of them and see how they feel and how you look on them. You dont want to look like a giant on a little bike. Whatever you go with, watch out for the idiot drivers...people tend to forget about motorcycles on the road so always keep your eyes peeled.
Definately bro, if i'm gonna drop between 5-9K i'm gonna make sure it's what I want. Thanks for the advice bro.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
From what I am seeing in cycle trader 6000 starting price is not unreasonable there are several of the same limited edition bikes starting at over 6000. I also have a custom painted rear wheel hugger painted to match the flames on the bike yosh pipe carbon fiber frame sliders and a windshield that’s black and fades to red. The bike looks sick the only pics I have right now are old and I am on it but I may blur my face and put them up later this week. Also your first bike you WILL lay it down. Here is a great quote I once heard “they are only two types of bikers, the ones that have fallen, and the ones that will." I don’t know anyone that ridden and not fallen. Buying a new bike especially for your first is not a good idea plus you loose like a grand the moment you drive it off the lot better to buy one that’s a few years old and dropped value already then they normally hold steady for a few years if taken care of properly. And yeah the gsxr’s are nice but with rockets its all personal preference they all have about the same power and perform awesome other then that its looks and comfort. I picked my R6 because I loved the paint job and the front end it so light. I would defiantly not recommend going over a 600 for your first bike not many riders can even push a 600 to its limits on the street the 750 I think would be ok and they are badass bikes too bad the paint job is the same on everyone and good luck finding a nice used one (for a decent price). Also you cant even tell the difference between a 600 750 or 1000 unless you look real close or see the decal on the back.
Okay, I didn't know it was a custom built. That is def. gonna run you some more $$$. From the description though, it sounds like a sweet ride.

I also forgot about insurance. My DMV record is horrendous. Having to pay full coverage on something new might not be a good idea for myself. Just this past year, I was paying 275 bucks/month for full coverage on my auto insurance from Progressive. That was ridiculous to say the least...

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Alright i've been looking around on cycle trader and it seems that a 2003 GSXR 600 goes for around $6500. I also checked out suzuki's website and saw the Katana on there which is a very good looking bike and is about the same price for 2005 model. What's the deal w/this bike and what makes the GSXR so much better?

Thanks fellas.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
dont get the "Can'o'tuna" I mean Katana....
LOL yeah i've done some more looking around. I'm gonna go look at the GSXR 600's and 750's today at a dealership. See which one I want to go w/. I'm thinking a 2001 or 2002 model. So what's "high" for mileage on a bike.

I've got a bad feeling I might get to the dealership and just say screw it and go for that nice financing deal they've got right now. Hell it might be a better choice in the long run.

tattoopierced1

i've bought used bikes with 6-8k miles on it and they've been fine...biggest problem I had with one was a slipping clutch which was easily replaced and very inexpensive. I was a Honda man myself until I got to hop on a friends GSXR750 and then I was converted to the gixxers for life.

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
i've bought used bikes with 6-8k miles on it and they've been fine...biggest problem I had with one was a slipping clutch which was easily replaced and very inexpensive. I was a Honda man myself until I got to hop on a friends GSXR750 and then I was converted to the gixxers for life.
Well that's good news as it seems I can get a 2001-2002 w/ 2-4K for a descent price.

tattoopierced1

just really give the bike a thorough testing and see...i mean a bike with 1000 miles could be in worse shape than one that was taken care of that might have 6000 miles on it...only way to tell is to let them test drive it, which most places will let you test a used bike....