Looking for a sleep supplement without 5HTP or Tryptophan

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I'm looking for one of those "knock you out" sleep supplements, but I need to find one that doesn't have 5HTP or Tryptophan. I take an SSRI and taking either of those two supplements could cause me to go into Serotonin Syndrome.

Thanks in advance!
-SS

Last edited:
ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm looking for one of those "knock you out" sleep supplements, but I need to find one that doesn't have 5HTP or Tyrosine. I take an SSRI and taking either of those two supplements could cause me to go into Serotonin Syndrome.

Thanks in advance!
-SS
What if you skipped a dose of SSRI to take a sleep supplement with a conflicting ingredient?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
What if you skipped a dose of SSRI to take a sleep supplement with a conflicting ingredient?
Not a good idea to miss doses of anti-depressants.

To the OP: i've not really found a supplement that is capable of 'knocking me out'. Some that help drowsiness like melatonin (I find lower doses more effective than larger ones) and L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate are pretty reasonable.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Well, for one, mine lasts 24 hours in the body. And like @Jiigzz says, it's not good to miss a dose. I don't feel right if I haven't had my meds
Not a good idea to miss doses of anti-depressants.

To the OP: i've not really found a supplement that is capable of 'knocking me out'. Some that help drowsiness like melatonin (I find lower doses more effective than larger ones) and L-Ornithine-L-Aspartate are pretty reasonable.
Tbh, I was sort of looking for a 'reverse Excelsior'. Some sleep supplement that has a little something 'extra' added to it.

But, I used to sleep a lot of sleep supplements in the past that were powder and claimed to completely knock you out and had some really good ingredient profiles. But I haven't seen any in awhile.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well, for one, mine lasts 24 hours in the body. And like @Jiigzz says, it's not good to miss a dose. I don't feel right if I haven't had my meds

Tbh, I was sort of looking for a 'reverse Excelsior'. Some sleep supplement that has a little something 'extra' added to it.

But, I used to sleep a lot of sleep supplements in the past that were powder and claimed to completely knock you out and had some really good ingredient profiles. But I haven't seen any in awhile.
I tried somatomax the other night. Most potent sleep aid I ever used.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I tried somatomax the other night. Most potent sleep aid I ever used.
I love Somatomax, but I use it during the day as an anti-anxiety aid to augment my other anti-anxiety supplements and meds.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Can try dream tea from Iconic Formulations.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm looking for one of those "knock you out" sleep supplements, but I need to find one that doesn't have 5HTP or Tyrosine. I take an SSRI and taking either of those two supplements could cause me to go into Serotonin Syndrome.

Thanks in advance!
-SS
I’m thinking you meant tryptophan?

dukes3577

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
400mg Magnesium glycinate, 50mg Zinc, 5mg melatonin and .50 ml invictus (tops of feet). Sleep like a rock.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
400mg Magnesium glycinate, 50mg Zinc, 5mg melatonin and .50 ml invictus (tops of feet). Sleep like a rock.
If you take 50mg zinc, then also take a mineral supplement that includes copper. That much zinc causes the body to get rid of copper.

Humbl3

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Melatonin and serotonin are not advised to be taken along with antidepressants my friends.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m thinking you meant tryptophan?
Yeah, whoops, tryptophan is what I meant. I'll go back and edit the post. Thanks for pointing that out.

If you take 50mg zinc, then also take a mineral supplement that includes copper. That much zinc causes the body to get rid of copper.
Well, a lot of zinc can deplete copper stores from the body, but you really don't want to be taking more than 1mg of copper a day as it can build up.

Melatonin and serotonin are not advised to be taken along with antidepressants my friends.
Where did you hear that? Both my shrink and regular doc have said melatonin is fine. There's nothing chemically about it that would cause it to interfere with any antidepressants.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Or Benadryl.

Why not get a prescription med since you already clearly have a doctor prescribing you antidepressants?

Also when do you take your SSRI?
You should take it right away I’m the morning to prevent any sleep issues. Som antidepressants can cause insomnia.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Or Benadryl.

Why not get a prescription med since you already clearly have a doctor prescribing you antidepressants?

You should take it right away I’m the morning to prevent any sleep issues. Som antidepressants can cause insomnia.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I already take phenibut. I'm looking for a combination supplement that has lots of different ingredients.

Or Benadryl.

I take benadryl everyday throughout the day to control my allergies, so all H1 antihistamines don't phase me as far as making me sleepy or anything.

I have a prescription for Remeron (Mirtazapine), which is a sleep aid, but sometimes it just doesn't do the trick. I would love some Ambien, but I would probably end up abusing it.
I do also take my SNRI in the morning. It's called Pristiq and it's a 24 hour pill, and it does boost norepinephrine levels, although not that much, but I've tried pretty much every single other SSRI/SNRI on the market and it's the only one I could tolerate so I'm sticking with it until it quits working for me.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Diphenhydramine is actually hot garbage when used as a sleep supp.

Sure it will knock you the **** out, but your quality of sleep / recoverability will be horrible, even if you wake up feeling rested. You really only should use that stuff in a scenario when you absolutely cannot fall asleep, it is more harmful than it is helpful.

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Diphenhydramine is actually hot garbage when used as a sleep supp.

Sure it will knock you the **** out, but your quality of sleep / recoverability will be horrible, even if you wake up feeling rested. You really only should use that stuff in a scenario when you absolutely cannot fall asleep, it is more harmful than it is helpful.
I normally take 25mg of Diphenhydramine around 4 times a day, along with 25mg of hydroxyzine and 25mg of doxylamine succinate just to control my allergies (yes, they're bad). I also get allergy shots and have to take about 3 different nasal sprays.

Point being, those are not something that's going to put me to sleep. :LOL:

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
A quick read About melatonin serotonin and antidepressants

Very interesting. Overall, it sounds like they're being a little too overly cautious in the article and it being a pretty low risk for most people, but a good article nonetheless. I actually rarely take melatonin, but I wouldn't be too concerned about mixing what I'm taking now with melatonin.

Humbl3

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Very interesting. Overall, it sounds like they're being a little too overly cautious in the article and it being a pretty low risk for most people, but a good article nonetheless. I actually rarely take melatonin, but I wouldn't be too concerned about mixing what I'm taking now with melatonin.
🙂 just trying to help out bro. I’ve been right there before

StarScream66

StarScream66

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
🙂 just trying to help bro. I’ve been right there before
And I appreciate it. I'd never heard that before, but it's definitely something to take into consideration if you're combining SSRIs and melatonin.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I already take phenibut. I'm looking for a combination supplement that has lots of different ingredients.

I take benadryl everyday throughout the day to control my allergies, so all H1 antihistamines don't phase me as far as making me sleepy or anything.

I have a prescription for Remeron (Mirtazapine), which is a sleep aid, but sometimes it just doesn't do the trick. I would love some Ambien, but I would probably end up abusing it.
I do also take my SNRI in the morning. It's called Pristiq and it's a 24 hour pill, and it does boost norepinephrine levels, although not that much, but I've tried pretty much every single other SSRI/SNRI on the market and it's the only one I could tolerate so I'm sticking with it until it quits working for me.

Well damn...you’ve covered the basics already.

Atypical antipsychotics are good for sleep and non-habit forming. Ask your doctor about those.

Also get your phenibut from nootropicsdepot.com
I’ve tried 4 other companies and this is definitely the best. Honestly feels like you are taking a whole new drug.

If your SNRI makes you drowsy you I could take it at night.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

**** I used to take the proprietary blend sleep supplement but I can never remember the name.