Long-term Use of OTC Test Boosters & Negative Impacts...

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Real talk here... I wanted to see if anyone has some good research that shows any positive or negative impacts that long-term (years with short breaks in between cycles) OTC test boosters and/or E2 suppressors have on natural production.

When I search online, I cannot find anything. I realize the supps industry for OTC boosters really exploded only in the last 20 years, but I am sure they could have tested subjects in at least 10 of those years to see the impact test boosters OTC have on natural production.

NOTE:
1. I am genuinely curious about this and not looking to start an unscientific debate or be controversial as I know this subject is correlated to product sales.

2 I know a lot of Reps for brands or stores offer advice on here, often very good advice and I see sometimes without bias. That said, I am looking for as much unbiased research and hopefully links to them as possible. Please don't post "there is (or isn't) an impact" unless you have some data or research to support the statement.

Cheers!

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You'd have to try to go compound by compound; there is no longitudinal study on a general group of users of various OTC T boosters.

Many of these rely on some kind of aromatase inhibitor as their primary mechanism. There is some long-term data on men using Rx AIs and it does not indicate any kind of long-term suppression. In fact, in some cases there's a lasting or at least lingering benefit.

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You'd have to try to go compound by compound; there is no longitudinal study on a general group of users of various OTC T boosters.

Many of these rely on some kind of aromatase inhibitor as their primary mechanism. There is some long-term data on men using Rx AIs and it does not indicate any kind of long-term suppression. In fact, in some cases there's a lasting or at least lingering benefit.
Good comments. ...I am wondering if OTCs over a long-term could have the same effect anabolics have in terms of shutting down natural production and making it harder for the body to produce on its own over time.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good comments. ...I am wondering if OTCs over a long-term could have the same effect anabolics have in terms of shutting down natural production and making it harder for the body to produce on its own over time.
Short answer; no.

Let's think of your HPTA like a car engine. Adding a test booster could be thought of like a jump start or adding dry gas or an oil change etc. If your engine is running fine, these things won't help much, if at all but if it's running less than optimally one or more of these things may address the issue and get the car moving more like normal.

Adding AAS is like installing a different engine is the trunk. The more you rely on the new trunk engine the less often you run the one under the hood and eventually the original engine can rust up and seize leaving you dependent on the one in the trunk.

Hope that was helpful.

JYD

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Short answer; no.

Let's think of your HPTA like a car engine. Adding a test booster could be thought of like a jump start or adding dry gas or an oil change etc. If your engine is running fine, these things won't help much, if at all but if it's running less than optimally one or more of these things may address the issue and get the car moving more like normal.

Adding AAS is like installing a different engine is the trunk. The more you rely on the new trunk engine the less often you run the one under the hood and eventually the original engine can rust up and seize leaving you dependent on the one in the trunk.

Hope that was helpful.
Yes. Good analogy.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Short answer; no.

Hope that was helpful.
This is probably the best analogy I've ever read.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Best thing to do would to be look at studies on clomid. It’s way stronger then any the counter test booster. Also lots of over the counter test boosters would be better marketed as an adaptogen. Most of the same ingredients and I feel this is the main reason some of them actually produce some sort of results to the body. I myself like shilijat, ashwaganda, and a few others but not for the test boosting. If that’s all your interested in clomid or nolvadex is often times cheaper and way better for that.

beefyfan

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
The only negative will be the impact on your bank account.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The only negative will be the impact on your bank account.
For raising test to levels that will benefit you I agree but for increasing quality of sleep, libido and well being they are solid products.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
For raising test to levels that will benefit you I agree but for increasing quality of sleep, libido and well being they are solid products.
been tellin this to folks for years, thank you!!!

Erikdrvn

Awards
Short answer; no.

Hope that was helpful.
almost all test booster have mucuna extract standardized 98% for l-dopa, long term could cause imbalance whit serotonine and also downregulation of D2 receptors, im worryed about this couse i have been taking testoboosters for a while, what do you think about this?

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
almost all test booster have mucuna extract standardized 98% for l-dopa, long term could cause imbalance whit serotonine and also downregulation of D2 receptors, im worryed about this couse i have been taking testoboosters for a while, what do you think about this?
I've heard this on the boards once or twice but I've yet to dive deep into it. Do you happen to have the study(s) upon which this is based?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Agreed. There are too many ingredients for there to be a generic answer for; but virtually none that show any evidence of being harmful long term.

Short answer; no.

Hope that was helpful.
Awesome analogy. I'd buy you an e-beer for that one. You nailed it.

I just replied to you in another thread, so don't take my reply here being directed towards you or negative at all, because it isn't. I'm just replying for anyone reading here that didn't see the other reply in the other thread.

Mucuna Pruriens when responsibly dosed have a lot of great potential benefits.

Those studies are talking about long term use of a therapeutic dosage of Levodopa (a drug primarily used to treat Parkinson's disease). They don't necessarily correlate to over to Mucuna Pruriens or the dosage of Mucuna Pruriens normally used in most products.

I've heard this on the boards once or twice but I've yet to dive deep into it. Do you happen to have the study(s) upon which this is based?
The studies that I've seen talk about long term use of therapeutic doses of Levodopa, so its a far difference from comparing it to dosages normally used in supplements from Mucuna Pruriens.

My daily routine myself consists of this amount of Mucuna Pruriens:
- M-Test - 100 mg. (blend of 95% and 20% extracts)
- Inhibit-P - 2 caps - 300 mg. (60% extract)

Note that I have an endocrinology condition that requires regular bloodwork to be done and monitored and the supplements I use have helped my hormone levels, which is why I use them consistently.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i really enjoyed test boosters before i went on trt...after 12 years on trt i still enjoy test boosters.

libido
energy
mood
motivation
stamina
erectile quality

are some things i can think of that test boosters help even while being on trt.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Agreed. There are too many ingredients for there to be a generic answer for; but virtually none that show any evidence of being harmful long term.

Awesome analogy. I'd buy you an e-beer for that one. You nailed it.

I just replied to you in another thread, so don't take my reply here being directed towards you or negative at all, because it isn't. I'm just replying for anyone reading here that didn't see the other reply in the other thread.

Mucuna Pruriens when responsibly dosed have a lot of great potential benefits.

Those studies are talking about long term use of a therapeutic dosage of Levodopa (a drug primarily used to treat Parkinson's disease). They don't necessarily correlate to over to Mucuna Pruriens or the dosage of Mucuna Pruriens normally used in most products.

The studies that I've seen talk about long term use of therapeutic doses of Levodopa, so its a far difference from comparing it to dosages normally used in supplements from Mucuna Pruriens.

My daily routine myself consists of this amount of Mucuna Pruriens:
- M-Test - 100 mg. (blend of 95% and 20% extracts)
- Inhibit-P - 2 caps - 300 mg. (60% extract)

Note that I have an endocrinology condition that requires regular bloodwork to be done and monitored and the supplements I use have helped my hormone levels, which is why I use them consistently.
Can I get an e-dab instead?