Lockout help

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Need ideas how to strengthen my lockout in the bench.

I feel like the weight is light when I un racking the bar, surprisingly light on the way down, I feel explosive of the chest, strong in the midrange and then it’s like someone added weight to the bar a couple inches from lockout and it stalls and barley moves (it feels like it’s stuck), it’s annoying!

I did some pin presses and spoto presses today after my max lift and then a couple of super sets with skull crushers and close grip bench until failure.

Any ideas or recommendations to a stronger lockout?

Last edited:

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
@jswain34 @Hyde

Hopefully you guys can help, I’m 15lb away from my goal and if it wasn’t for the lockout I’m positive I could make it.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Post up a video of your bench, preferably one of a set of 80-85% that you completed at least 1 successful rep on and then another video of a failed attempt (if you have one, which you really shouldnt have many because they shouldnt really happen in strength training).

Like I said in hyde’s log, spoto presses or pin presses 0.5-1” below your fail point would be my initial recommendation as your primary accessory. Those, especially the pin presses, should be done in a “strength range” (ie 2-6) reps. I actually ever dont do >4 reps on pin press.

Then you could hit some cg 2-3 board work for higher reps after whichever of those you choose.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Post up a video of your bench, preferably one of a set of 80-85% that you completed at least 1 successful rep on and then another video of a failed attempt (if you have one, which you really shouldnt have many because they shouldnt really happen in strength training).

Like I said in hyde’s log, spoto presses or pin presses 0.5-1” below your fail point would be my initial recommendation as your primary accessory. Those, especially the pin presses, should be done in a “strength range” (ie 2-6) reps. I actually ever dont do >4 reps on pin press.

Then you could hit some cg 2-3 board work for higher reps after whichever of those you choose.
This is just my opinion; I’m quoting you @jswain34 purely to organize my thought process.

I have used Spoto presses several times, and they build my starting/chest strength very nicely. Why I feel the 3-4 boardpress is the superior option (beyond just having direct personal success with it) is because it:
-directly dictates bar path. You cannot precisely control ROM with Spoto/pause presses, and pin presses are tougher to be in exact real world position. Boards directly give proprioceptive feedback via pressure transfer.
-allows you to use much heavier % of max consistently. This builds confidence with the weight through familiarity. Pin presses do allow this.
-increased self-unrack, lat, trap, & of course tricep lockout strength. You cannot deal with 95-103% casually; you must be present. This also promotes overall form.

Floorpress, if executed properly, should be within a 2” ROM of your comp press. That, like 2 board, 1” Spoto press, and close-grip work, build my starting and general bench strength very well.

But if you specifically need that last 2-3” consistently, run a couple 3wk waves of HEAVY 3-4 board presses as your primary accessory after bench. It will give you the confidence and more importantly specific stamina to keep driving the big weights all the way.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
We are really just bench racing here (feel free to enjoy that pun); this is all ideas.

The board work helped me work past 290 to 300.

I have also used chains to good effect. I was doing a simple 3x5 with a heavy bar weight, and would cycle 1,2,3 chains per side then wave back to 3x4 with more bar weight. That moved me up to 315.

Maybe I need to try those chains again - I could use another 15lbs on my bench! Would put me in range of 400.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
We are really just bench racing here (feel free to enjoy that pun); this is all ideas.

The board work helped me work past 290 to 300.

I have also used chains to good effect. I was doing a simple 3x5 with a heavy bar weight, and would cycle 1,2,3 chains per side then wave back to 3x4 with more bar weight. That moved me up to 315.

Maybe I need to try those chains again - I could use another 15lbs on my bench! Would put me in range of 400.
I currently have started using chains again, this time on my incline as I’m trying to get past 315. They definitely work

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I currently have started using chains again, this time on my incline as I’m trying to get past 315. They definitely work
They’re also just fun AF to me for some reason. Way more than bands, which is what I use normally if doing a dynamic effort cycle.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks guy! Good recommendations, I’ll see what I can do about videos. I going to start doing more floor presses, I barely do those, and find some boards, I never used them at all.

I got to where I’m at with heavy single work, paused and touch and go, both regular grip and close grip. My 2 last heavy session I have had a major fight with 390, I made it both times but it was a struggle in the end and failed on the second set. The funny part is that up until the last few inches it feels like I can rep it and that’s why I felt I could do more sets. My last heavy session before 390 I did 5 fairly easy singles on 385, I might have better speed on that weight and that’s why I can make it, idk. I going to beef up my triceps so I can finally make 405, oh btw, I have to make 405 before November, my life depends on it...

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good recommendations guys, I’ll see what I can do about videos. I going to start doing more floor presses, I barely do those, and find some boards, I never used them at all.

I got to where I’m at with heavy single work, paused and touch and go, both regular grip and close grip. My 2 last heavy session I have had a major fight with 390, I made it both times but it was a struggle in the end and failed on the second set. The funny part is that up until the last few inches it feels like I can rep it and that’s why I felt I could do more sets. My last heavy session before 390 I did 5 fairly easy singles on 385, I might have better speed on that weight and that’s why I can make it, idk. I going to beef up my triceps so I can finally make 405, oh btw, I have to make 405 before November, my life depends on it...
Up the dose - as Chad a Wesley Smith has comically said, “The more you take, the more you make!”

Obviously more bodyweight and/or drugs really are direct (unhealthy) solutions, but if you aren’t changing those then you will have to rely on old fashioned hard work & semi-intelligent programming.

If you are benching maximally every week, consider alternating lighter days every other week on your primary bench day, or use your slingshot or something else for max effort work like incline press or floor press. Louie always said maxing the exact same lift 3 or more weeks in a row is a recipe to regress.

I am powerlifter and 53 yrs old. Big bench come from the back not the front.
Amen! The lats need to be strong enough both to stabilize the weight AND be used to store and release energy - if you aren’t prioritizing hard heavy back work already that can be easy gains.

Scott Mendelson has some videos that make it easy to see how he uses his lats. He used them the same when he benched the ATWR raw as he did multiply.

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
They’re also just fun AF to me for some reason. Way more than bands, which is what I use normally if doing a dynamic effort cycle.
I like the noise they make but I’m basically a 200lb kid

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Up the dose - as Chad a Wesley Smith has comically said, “The more you take, the more you make!”

Obviously more bodyweight and/or drugs really are direct (unhealthy) solutions, but if you aren’t changing those then you will have to rely on old fashioned hard work & semi-intelligent programming.

If you are benching maximally every week, consider alternating lighter days every other week on your primary bench day, or use your slingshot or something else for max effort work like incline press or floor press. Louie always said maxing the exact same lift 3 or more weeks in a row is a recipe to regress.

Amen! The lats need to be strong enough both to stabilize the weight AND be used to store and release energy - if you aren’t prioritizing hard heavy back work already that can be easy gains.

Scott Mendelson has some videos that make it easy to see how he uses his lats. He used them the same when he benched the ATWR raw as he did multiply.
It might be some drugs used ;) but I will rely on hard work, 405 is just the short time goal...

I’m going heavy and light (speed work or explosive work) every other session so not 2 heavy/max effort session in a row and yes, I do something for the back almost every day (from heavy rows to band work).

It’s a lot of good info here, thanks a bunch!

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
JM press - for triceps

Also, might just need yet more power/explosiveness off the chest as your exerting everything you have to get it to your sticking point and just don’t have enough left to keep that momentum\bar speed.

-

(I just witnessed a 20 year old kid, couldn’t be more than 175 bench bench 415 for 2...With eeeeaaasssee. Yeah, I feel some type of way 🤣)

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Btw how important do you guys think incline pressing is? For a bigger bench that is. I’m willing to put everything else to the side until I make this 405, it’s annoying because I “feel” I should be able to make it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Btw how important do you guys think incline pressing is? For a bigger bench that is. I’m willing to put everything else to the side until I make this 405, it’s annoying because I “feel” I should be able to make it.
The only thing you must do to competition bench, is comp bench.

EVERYTHING else is only a variable means to an end. You don’t have to overhead strictpress either. But if it goes up, your comp likely will as well because you’re probably adding new muscle or bodyweight.

You have finite ability to recover from training - sometimes it can be beneficial to rotate things out temporarily to make room for something more specific leading to a peak attempt.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The only thing you must do to competition bench, is comp bench.

EVERYTHING else is only a variable means to an end. You don’t have to overhead strictpress either. But if it goes up, your comp likely will as well because you’re probably adding new muscle or bodyweight.

You have finite ability to recover from training - sometimes it can be beneficial to rotate things out temporarily to make room for something more specific leading to a peak attempt.
Thanks! My next session will be “lighter” and I’m planning to do floor press, pin press (from sticking point) and JM presses, might do some pump work for shoulders after but nothing heavy, finish with some rowing. What do you think about that?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks! My next session will be “lighter” and I’m planning to do floor press, pin press (from sticking point) and JM presses, might do some pump work for shoulders after but nothing heavy, finish with some rowing. What do you think about that?
Well, without seeing the entire program laid out I don’t really have any big picture context, but I would do the pump work last where it belongs so you have more energy for heavier rowing prior.

And I don’t see any 3 board press

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well, without seeing the entire program laid out I don’t really have any big picture context, but I would do the pump work last where it belongs so you have more energy for heavier rowing prior.

And I don’t see any 3 board press
Yeah... I need to get those boards... 🙄 lol, I’ll have to figure it out. Yeah, I meant to say that I finish with rowing on the rowing machine for 2000m. I hate that fvcking thing btw. To me it’s by far the hardest most horrible cardio machine ever invented.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My puny pressing ability means I probably don't have a ton of room to speak on helping and you seem to have tons of the smarter/stronger guys already helping, but I'll offer maybe one that I haven't seen said in here yet (other ideas are really good though too, some good feedback in here).

Maybe a towel press? Roll a towel up and place it on your chest/under your shirt and do a Bench where you come down, tap the towel, then return to the press. It is like a board press, except the towel really can compress if you don't maintain stiffness and tension through the entire movement, so you can't "rebound" off it like you may be able to with the board (not implying that is necessarily wrong, just looking at a potentially different stimulus here). With that it helps with the top range of the motion and also seemed to help me with sticking points in the past.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My puny pressing ability means I probably don't have a ton of room to speak on helping and you seem to have tons of the smarter/stronger guys already helping, but I'll offer maybe one that I haven't seen said in here yet (other ideas are really good though too, some good feedback in here).

Maybe a towel press? Roll a towel up and place it on your chest/under your shirt and do a Bench where you come down, tap the towel, then return to the press. It is like a board press, except the towel really can compress if you don't maintain stiffness and tension through the entire movement, so you can't "rebound" off it like you may be able to with the board (not implying that is necessarily wrong, just looking at a potentially different stimulus here). With that it helps with the top range of the motion and also seemed to help me with sticking points in the past.
Good idea, thanks!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I havent done towel presses in a long time but it is a good in between for Spotos & a true board press. Gives you something to touch like a board would but you still have to really stabilize the bottom like a spoto.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
As far as getting boards, if you go grab some at Lowe’s or wherever just grab some Gorilla Glue, Liquid Nails, or your fav wood glue you can assemble them very fast. Remember to have one of the boards longer for a handle in case you have a helper/spotter ever.

BUT most of the time if training solo the easiest way to use boards is to use a Miniband to tie them on, or shove them under a big hoodie.

OR just order Benchblokz because they’re like $45 and awesomely convenient to use.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My workout didn’t play out they way I hoped for, I was feeling weak from the start, idk if it was because I didn’t recover well from last session or because I did boxing training yesterday but here it is, feel free to shame me for my weak numbers: I did 4 working sets of my main lifts, Floor press 4x5 on 295, pin press from midrange 4x3 on 315 and JM press on 135 4x6. JM presses felt weird since it was my first time doing it. It was my “light” pressing day but I expected to be able to go higher, my triceps is obviously the weak link since I can rep a lot more weight full range than from mid/top range.

Well, even though I’m a little disappointed in today’s workout I’m excited for the next, that will be paused single work, spoto from midrange (3-5 reps) and dips.

Thanks for any help, it’s appreciated!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
They can’t all be winners. 80% of the time they should be average sessions, and about 10% particularly bad or great. It’s all the consecutive average sessions that build you over time!

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just so you guys know, I work out other things than my bench, it’s just not my focus at the moment. Today’s workout was deadlifts and worked up to a single on 500, then bent over rows 2x5 with 315 with overhand grip and then 2x8 on 225 underhand grip. Finished with some pump sets for lats, rare delts and biceps. Felt like a good workout and feeling pretty good after so I might do some cardio later today.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I haven’t got to 405 yet, I feel it should be fairly close though, I have worked on my triceps strength and did 3 sets of 2 on 405 with the slingshot, first set I almost got 3 but failed to rack the weight. Heard someone say that if you can do 3 with the slingshot you should be able to do 1 without.

Fun side note, I haven’t focused on squats and deads the last few months, I have done it but mostly high rep, but the other day I put on 405 and was going to do some box squats on a parallel box (for my length), was planning on doing 5 but felt strong and managed to do 15 reps! Might not be impressive to some of you guys but I was really happy with it. Made me think that I should start doing more high rep work for the bench and see if that helps get over 400.

Last edited:

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Slingshot gives me about 30-35lbs. For whatever that’s worth to you.
Ok, I haven’t used it enough to be good with it, I only been able to do 1 or 2 more reps with it than without. It helps me but it’s not of the chest I need the help, it’s a fun tool though. I been able to JM press 225, still light weight but a lot more than I started with. I also been using some blocks (like you recommended) but mostly for high reps, maybe I should go heavier when I use them?

Thanks for the tips and help, I appreciate it!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ok, I haven’t used it enough to be good with it, I only been able to do 1 or 2 more reps with it than without. It helps me but it’s not of the chest I need the help, it’s a fun tool though. I been able to JM press 225, still light weight but a lot more than I started with. I also been using some blocks (like you recommended) but mostly for high reps, maybe I should go heavier when I use them?

Thanks for the tips and help, I appreciate it!
Blocks I would really focus on heavy work actually. Gets you handling 90+% on a regular basis so 405 doesn’t feel weird at all when you go to bench it raw full ROM finally.