Limiting TOR action responsible for longer life expectancy

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Apparently, limiting the actions of TOR results in dramatic life extension in the lab by switching the body from a growth model to a maintenance model. We as bodybuilders are always trying to switch mTOR ON, but it's looking like the tradeoff may be a lower life expectancy.

Discuss.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Until they can do this in more than just C. elegans, it might as well be science fiction.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Extending our lives to a great degree may be science fiction, but excessive TOR activation could play a role in premature death if a maintenance state is preferred for long life.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Extending our lives to a great degree may be science fiction, but excessive TOR activation could play a role in premature death if a maintenance state is preferred for long life.
So does breathing. The relationship between mTOR and life extension is hardly a new idea and I guess a C elegans model is progress from yeast, but it's still only one factor being manipulated in an organism that is vastly different than humans. Plus mTOR exists in different complexes and as part of complicated pathways. So even if it does work in a lower organism, chances are it won't in higher ones.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So does breathing. The relationship between mTOR and life extension is hardly a new idea and I guess a C elegans model is progress from yeast, but it's still only one factor being manipulated in an organism that is vastly different than humans. Plus mTOR exists in different complexes and as part of complicated pathways. So even if it does work in a lower organism, chances are it won't in higher ones.
I would add that the amount of mTOR antagonism in these studies is far greater than the amount of mTOR agonism we can achieve through exercise, diet, supplements, etc. I would wager that if the percentage of antagonism was in equal proportion to what can be achieved in agonism, the life extension benefits would not be as impressive.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would add that the amount of mTOR antagonism in these studies is far greater than the amount of mTOR agonism we can achieve through exercise, diet, supplements, etc. I would wager that if the percentage of antagonism was in equal proportion to what can be achieved in agonism, the life extension benefits would not be as impressive.
Mainly concerned about unnatural mTOR activation by doing numerous steroid cycles (ie: enhanced humans aka the average bodybuilder). Would be interesting to see the average age of death for bodybuilders. Obviously there is more involved that can effect health and mortality rates when having a lifetime of being enhanced, but would be interesting to find a link.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well bodybuilding all around is not the way to go if the longest life possible is your goal. Calorie restriction is the only proven method to extend life span. So you have to choose. Do you want to be 200 plus lbs and look good or be 150lbs and live a few years longer. Lol

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Mainly concerned about unnatural mTOR activation by doing numerous steroid cycles (ie: enhanced humans aka the average bodybuilder). Would be interesting to see the average age of death for bodybuilders. Obviously there is more involved that can effect health and mortality rates when having a lifetime of being enhanced, but would be interesting to find a link.
If you haven't already, I'd look more at autophagy regulation, of which mTOR is one of many components.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well bodybuilding all around is not the way to go if the longest life possible is your goal. Calorie restriction is the only proven method to extend life span. So you have to choose. Do you want to be 200 plus lbs and look good or be 150lbs and live a few years longer. Lol
Or you get hit by a bus. Plus caloric restriction has been found to decrease brain volume in mouse and primate models, which is what the lifespan benefits are based on.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’m all about going out in a blaze of glory ha. I knew bodybuilding definitely doesn’t generally align with longevity. I guess I’d like the best possible compromise lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Exercise has been proven to have a myriad of benefits too. If I had to pick exercise and caloric maintenance or no exercise and periodic caloric restriction, I’d pick exercise every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Both in terms of longevity and quality of life now and as we age. Settle for somewhere in the middle of 150 and 200 lbs and get the best of both worlds...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Exercise has been proven to have a myriad of benefits too. If I had to pick exercise and caloric maintenance or no exercise and periodic caloric restriction, I’d pick exercise every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Both in terms of longevity and quality of life now and as we age. Settle for somewhere in the middle of 150 and 200 lbs and get the best of both worlds...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Or you get hit by a bus. Plus caloric restriction has been found to decrease brain volume in mouse and primate models, which is what the lifespan benefits are based on.
Sort of reminds me of everyone hopping on the “heathy normal people should all use Metformin to promote longevity” bandwagon, but now we see several studies showing it can actually REDUCE several beneficial adaptations to exercise and may actually not only not be beneficial in healthy exercising individuals, but may have a net negative effect for them. Just goes to show that, as we know, exercise is great for health and longevity. Other things, maybe, maybe not. People want to make bold, hyperbolic, sweeping claims and recommendations based on very limited research, but portray it as if it’s definitively proven knowledge.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sort of reminds me of everyone hopping on the “heathy normal people should all use Metformin to promote longevity” bandwagon, but now we see several studies showing it can actually REDUCE several beneficial adaptations to exercise and may actually not only not be beneficial in healthy exercising individuals, but may have a net negative effect for them. Just goes to show that, as we know, exercise is great for health and longevity. Other things, maybe, maybe not. People want to make bold, hyperbolic, sweeping claims and recommendations based on very limited research, but portray it as if it’s definitively proven knowledge.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not claiming it’s new mate, nor that I’m a scientist. :) Just starting some conversation about something that’s interesting to me.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nothing new but interesting nonetheless

Review
Published: 17 December 2012

The evolution of the TOR pathway and its role in cancer

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I gotta get in here more. I'm just seeing this. One of the best ways to get mTOR C1 to go up n down like a stripper's booty is low dose Rapamycin once a week. Prolongs healthspan and lifespan. We are way past helminths with clinical trials. We have extensive studies on humans and dogs going right now. Check out clinicaltrials.gov

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
"Flame that burns twice as bright burns for half as long"

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
It doesn't in this case. We have a channel of inflammation that moves like a sine wave. Inhibiting C1 without affecting C2. As for Metformin, give it up and go with Berberine. Kill scenesent cells with Dasatanib. Reduce cortisol production by ingesting Ashwagandha. Limit alcohol, avoid processed food, drink plenty of water. Mild to moderate weight training causes the release of Myosin from the muscle to the bloodstream. We can actually age in reverse. As for increasing NAD+ orally through NR or NMN, I still remain undecided.we need foods or supplements to activate AMPK and Sirtuin 1. I don't have the time to break this all down for everyone. We have some very intelligent people here. Please research what I've said here today.

The problem is the general public doesn't have enough education or peer reviewed articles to learn from.
"Flame that burns twice as bright burns for half as long"

kl1234

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I gotta get in here more. I'm just seeing this. One of the best ways to get mTOR C1 to go up n down like a stripper's booty is low dose Rapamycin once a week. Prolongs healthspan and lifespan. We are way past helminths with clinical trials. We have extensive studies on humans and dogs going right now. Check out clinicaltrials.gov
Curious as to what you call low dose?

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Curious as to what you call low dose?
Low dose is variable based on age. A person 40-45 may only need 1-2mg weekly. Someone 65+ may need 6mg a week. MTor isn't really an issue in aging until around the age of 40. This seems to include scenesent cells. Which we are attacking with Dasatanib and Quercetin. The latest clinical trial was 100mg a day for 3 consecutive days over a 3 week period. Everyone seemed to notice a big difference in themselves after the trial was complete. Larger trials have started or will start soon.