Light Weights

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been training with light weights for like 2 months now. Ive still done some heavy sets but not owvermany at all and just sporadically.

I believe my body was built by heavy weights and I still beleive in the theory of "low reps heavy weight".

However i got into light weights simply cause its easier, i feel weaker but I must say i am looking good as ever and seem to be building muscle as well as defining up more.

The light weaghts are working for muscle gain, strange. I want to get back into heavy but it seem more daunting going into a heavy lift now. Im getting used to this light stuff. I dont really do high reps just light weight and I move pretty slow on the positive and negative. So its light weight low slow reps, with squeezing at end of reps, and sometimes long pause stretches at beginings.

Am i on to something here or should i go back to heavy?

PS im just bodybuilding strength aint to big a deal for me.

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
I believe what you're experiencing is reminiscent of German Volume Training or GVT. Change is good. I plan on going to a lower weight, higher volume training split to shock my muscles.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I believe what you're experiencing is reminiscent of German Volume Training or GVT. Change is good. I plan on going to a lower weight, higher volume training split to shock my muscles.
I think the german volume training is a lil different. I think its like many sets of the same excersise like 10 bench sets at 10 reps a set. If you kept the weight the same then yea you would have to use a light weight in order to do 10 sets of it and still get the same reps.

Maybe it is just a shock im doing which is good, but i do want to go heavy again.

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
I think the german volume training is a lil different. I think its like many sets of the same excersise like 10 bench sets at 10 reps a set. If you kept the weight the same then yea you would have to use a light weight in order to do 10 sets of it and still get the same reps.

Maybe it is just a shock im doing which is good, but i do want to go heavy again.
Finding what works best for YOU is part of the journey and you're lucky to realize what makes you grow best. Keep at it man and milk it for what it's worth.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
What are you defining as "light" and "heavy"? What you are finding is that you can build muscle with alot of volume which yields longer time under tension. There's no reason you can't incorporate both heavy and light weights into your routine. Do one exercise heavy and then do a couple of assistance moves with lighter weights and a slower tempo. As long as you don't overdo the total workload you should be able to reap the benefits of both.

primetime74

primetime74

Awards
I always mix in some lighter weight in my workouts. I find my body responds best to cycle training. For a while I was going heavy for about 4 weeks, then lighter for 4. No matter what I try to work out with a very high intensity. I dont like long rest periods. I like staying amped and intense. I lose some focus if I sit around for a while.

Sometimes though there is nothing like heavy lifting. Ive been training heavy now for about the last 3 months. Im gonna train heavy for the rest of this month. Then lighten it up for a few weeks to let the joints rest up a bit.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
depends on what routine i am currently on, but usually i go heavy on my compound lifts, and reps 8 to 12 on the rest.

TateFTW

TateFTW

Awards
I know it's cliche', but everyone is different. I know I've tried a number of training styles. The 5x5 I'm using now seems to be working pretty well.