Large Supplement Dist. closing their doors

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
We just heard today that Europa Sports gave employees 60 days notice of closing. They were the largest sports supplement distributor I believe and sponsored many BB contests. I have done business with them for almost 20 years and it is a sad day as they had many good people working there.

I know times change but for once it would be nice if it was for the better.

BeardedBreast

BeardedBreast

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow!

Is Lone Star still in business?

It's been nearly 2 decades since I've been in the biz

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I never worked with Lone Star so I am not sure. So many companies have gone direct to consumer, amazon and direct wholesale only so that hurt them I believe as well as the whole last year just was too much I gather.

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow!

Is Lone Star still in business?

It's been nearly 2 decades since I've been in the biz
Lone Star Distribution and Europa Sports Products merged in 2016

I have a feeling this will also trickle down to bankrupting some brands and shuttering a bunch of brick and mortar stores

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I hope not but many of them might be on the ropes to begin with. There is still Muscle Foods USA and Sport Life in our area as well as Park Avenue so hopefully stores can find the supplies they need.

Add it to the pile of sh*t over there.......................................what we are running out of room?

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I can't find a press release, or anything on their site about this.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I can't find a press release, or anything on their site about this.
We had a former employee come into the shop repping his new company and he told us. Not sure it's "public" yet.
I can confirm it too. I know some of their employees and they're talking about it openly.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think it will definitely hurt a lot of brick and mortars because Europa allowed them to buy things from different brands and basically mix and match their minimum orders rather than hit a minimum order size by brand by ordering direct. On the other hand, some that can afford to buy direct will likely get better % off deals than they were getting by going thru Europa.

Europa had already stopped selling a lot of the smaller brands that they used to sell; or some of the brands had stopped selling to Europa (rumors of slow pay or not paying some brands at all).

I think Europa definitely was hurt by a variety of things over the last couple of years:
- Some of the big brands like Nutrex pulling out of Europa and mostly abandoning brick and mortar to focus on direct sales.
- The Covid situation closing so many brick and mortars last year that Europa depended on for either months or permanently.
- The general number of brick and mortars closing due to Amazon.
- So many brands that Europa helped grow and supported that pulled out and focused on direct sales, basically competing with Europa.

By last year, Europa had become a place for more bars, snacks, and CBD products rather than carrying the wide selection of sports nutrition products that they did at one time; and I understand why - they were trying to hold on any way they could.

It's very sad for the industry overall.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think it will definitely hurt a lot of brick and mortars because Europa allowed them to buy things from different brands and basically mix and match their minimum orders rather than hit a minimum order size by brand by ordering direct. On the other hand, some that can afford to buy direct will likely get better % off deals than they were getting by going thru Europa.

Europa had already stopped selling a lot of the smaller brands that they used to sell; or some of the brands had stopped selling to Europa (rumors of slow pay or not paying some brands at all).

I think Europa definitely was hurt by a variety of things over the last couple of years:
- Some of the big brands like Nutrex pulling out of Europa and mostly abandoning brick and mortar to focus on direct sales.
- The Covid situation closing so many brick and mortars last year that Europa depended on for either months or permanently.
- The general number of brick and mortars closing due to Amazon.
- So many brands that Europa helped grow and supported that pulled out and focused on direct sales, basically competing with Europa.

By last year, Europa had become a place for more bars, snacks, and CBD products rather than carrying the wide selection of sports nutrition products that they did at one time; and I understand why - they were trying to hold on any way they could.

It's very sad for the industry overall.
Wow that is insane. I thought Europa was "too big to fail"

RIPDanDuchaine

RIPDanDuchaine

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow, Europa? They were huge at one point. They had expos and contests and everything.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ramires Last

Ramires Last

Awards
I also plan to go into this business, what do I need to do? Or is it better to look for some other way?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I also plan to go into this business, what do I need to do? Or is it better to look for some other way?
You plan to become a nationwide supplement wholesale distributor? Or you plan to become a retailer?

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You plan to become a nationwide supplement wholesale distributor? Or you plan to become a retailer?
I’d aim bigger. Take over the entire market, production distribution and retail.