L-carnosine and beta alanine question

kurt1776

Awards
This issue has bothered and perplexed me for more than 2 years now.
I am an endurance athlete and have seen positive results from oral beta alanine in the past. Which made me very curious, if BA works by increasing muscle carnosine then will pinning IM or IV L-carnosine directly create more dramatic results? So I got hold of L-carnosine and pinned IM, (have not done IV carnosine). But, I did not experience any noticeble benefit when pinning IM. How can something that should work on paper prove such a failure in real life. Maybe the amount of L-Carnosine needed to benefit is very high? .... I don't want to give up on my theory but until then will take oral beta alanine. Which is safe to take in high doses, or will I get bad side effects from disrupting my Taurine, etc? I appreciate any advice to set me straight on this. My guess is most ppl find pinning aminos a complete waste of time, but I thought I was on to something, guess not?

kurt1776

Awards
I think I've found my answer. Here's an excerpt from a MindandMuscle article entitled 'Beta-Alanine: The Sleeper-Supplement Of The Last Decade'

Quote; "So why not just take carnosine? I’m sure you’ve seen it available in ‘sterile liquid’ vials, so maybe it gets broken down by stomach acid or the liver? Nope. Carnosine, whether swallowed, injected, applied transdermally or via rectal suppository, breaks down into ß-alanine and histidine, which then reform into carnosine; kind of like Voltron, only for your muscles. Histidine is already present in abundance within skeletal muscles, so it is ß-alanine that acts as the rate-limiting factor in carnosine conversion."