Unanswered Knee pain from deadlift?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I got some knee pain from deadlifting, or maybe the stiff legged one, anyone else experienced knee pain from these exercises and have a tip how to get rid of it?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got some knee pain from deadlifting, or maybe the stiff legged one, anyone else experienced knee pain from these exercises and have a tip how to get rid of it?
NSAID's, rest and maybe icing for awhile.
Skip all aggravating exercises and do:
Smith machine squats with feet placed forward, moderate weight, but slow negatives. When going down, knee must not pass toes.
This takes stress out of knees and builds muscles to further stabilize knees. Instead of deadlifts do good mornings, that's what I do.

Last edited:
ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Stretch your quads and hamstring too. When your quads get richer you can develop tendinitis

Also fix your form. If it’s good, fix it anyway. There’s always something to work on

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
NSAID's, rest and maybe icing for awhile.
Skip all aggravating exercises and do:
Smith machine squats with feet placed forward, moderate weight, but slow negatives. When going down, knee must not pass toes.
This takes stress out of knees and builds muscles to further stabilize knees. Instead of deadlifts do good mornings, that's what I do.
Thanks, will try to smith machine squats, I haven’t done those for years but I remember those always felt good.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Stretch your quads and hamstring too. When your quads get richer you can develop tendinitis

Also fix your form. If it’s good, fix it anyway. There’s always something to work on
Stretch before? My form could probably be better, I actually been thinking about hire someone to help me get better from, I’m sure I could be a little stronger with better form.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ok so it’s going to depend a bit on what the pain is in regards to what to do. Knee pain could be a ton of different things for a variety of reasons.

Non medical advice:
-don’t rest and ice
-continue moving and doing things that don’t bother it
-do variations of deadlifts that don’t seem to aggravate anything to help continue to build improvements in movement ranges to strengthen the knee
-avoid anything causing direct pain, but continue anything else that doesn’t bother you

You really first need to determine (easier said than done) what the main issue is. Is it your technique? Where does it hurt? Does it hurt during? On the up or on the way down? Or after the movement? Immediately or like after the workout/later that day? Anything else bother it?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok so it’s going to depend a bit on what the pain is in regards to what to do. Knee pain could be a ton of different things for a variety of reasons.

Non medical advice:
-don’t rest and ice
-do variations of deadlifts that don’t seem to aggravate anything to help continue to build improvements in movement ranges to strengthen the knee
-avoid anything causing direct pain, but continue anything else that doesn’t bother you

You really first need to determine (easier said than done) what the main issue is. Is it your technique? Where does it hurt? Does it hurt during? On the up or on the way down? Or after the movement? Immediately or like after the workout/later that day? Anything else bother it?
^^^ signed (depending on diagnose, ice and rest could still be useful, Example:
Hoffa's Syndrome)
In general: Moving legs > Rest.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Non medical advice:
-don’t rest and ice

It started to hurt after, when I cooled down but stopped the next day, the same happened the last few deadlift sessions, maybe I just went heavy? Idk, weird, I had a tear in my patella tendon a few years ago and couldn’t do any heavy lifting for a long time. Beginning of last year was the first year I could start pushing it, it was a frustrating first few months of baby squatting, lol! It might be some imbalance and that’s where the pain is coming from, I going to start doing 1 legged work and the smith machine squat to strengthen it. It’s probably nothing, just sore from going heavy, I have a bad habit of chasing weight... ;)

Thanks guys!

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sounds like some tendonitis as that slowly onset’s after lifting, stretching will be your best bet and doing lighter weight (not stopping totally) will help. Ice will also help as well as avoiding the things that really bother your knee.

Could be a bad imbalance between your legs that’s causing you to favor one side over the other subconsciously. Could be a combination of the two since you had a previous injury.

Again I’m not a doctor