KK's Workout mini cycle

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
This is from LIFT-RUN-BANG: Interview with Konstantin Konstantinovs - Translated

I don’t have a fixed training schedule. All depends on how I feel, and if I feel that I am not recovered that I rest 1-2 days more. If the heavy training did not go as planned, then I do it after 1 day of rest.

Workout 1.
1. Light squat for a warm up.
2. Deadlift. I do a different variant every time I train: rack pulls – 7, 11, 15, 20, 23 cm from the knees (higher than that I never pull). I do either a set of 3 reps or 8-10 depending on how I feel.
3. Bench press. I consider bench press as rest between heavy work. I bench either with touch and go with a medium grip, or with a close grip pausing at the bottom. I might do a single set of 10 reps with touch and go, or might max out pausing at the bottom. It all depends on how I feel and my mood.
4. 2nd deadlift. I pull either from a floor or from a deficit (about 9 cm). I do a single set of 2-3 reps pausing at the bottom. Then if I have enough energy, I might do another set of 6-8 reps.
5. Box squat. Heavy box squat as described above.

Workout 2 (in two days).
1. Medium heavy squat as described above.
2. Heavy bench press for a single set of 3 reps. Once in two weeks: negatives – 1-2 set for 1 rep. Then a single set of 8-10 reps with either close or medium grip depending on how I feel.
3. Cardio – 15-20 min.

Workout 3.
1. Light squat.
2. Medium heavy bench press: a single set of 6-8 reps.
3. Speed deadlift with bands: 8x1. Bands increase weight by 130 kg at the top.
4. Pull ups with weight or bands. ONLY explosively. Very important for my deadlift.
5. GHR, hyperextensions, very heavy abs work (6 sets with emphasis on strength).

Workout 4.
The same as workout 2.

After this the microcycle is repeated.

I am planning on trying out this workout personally, my goal is to improve my dead/squat and bench.

Current maxes
Bench 305x1 Raw
Squat 325x1 knee wraps
Deadlift 365x10 (Havent maxed recently) Raw

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PC has a pretty good blog going and it has some good stuff on it.
As far as KK. I know he used to be in security or some type of gov guard and was on call or had to just blow out of town at any time, so training for him could be spotty and more instinctive at times. This can work better if one is in tune with their body and it's recovery abilities.
I also use deficits and pin pulls. I do think they are a good adjunct to pulling, but I will say, I think most of the best work (especially for an intermediate or less advanced person) is to get a lot of habitual work in, just pulling from the floor.

Opinion: Personally, I would add or tweak W/O, so that I could get overhead work in, as to not neglect the shoulder flexibility from over head work.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Agreed with Paul on overhead work. I neglected solid OHP training and my bench suffered greatly from it.

KK is a security guard for a rich dude I think. He says most the time he can only workout in hotel fitness centers.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
PC has a pretty good blog going and it has some good stuff on it.
As far as KK. I know he used to be in security or some type of gov guard and was on call or had to just blow out of town at any time, so training for him could be spotty and more instinctive at times. This can work better if one is in tune with their body and it's recovery abilities.
I also use deficits and pin pulls. I do think they are a good adjunct to pulling, but I will say, I think most of the best work (especially for an intermediate or less advanced person) is to get a lot of habitual work in, just pulling from the floor.

Opinion: Personally, I would add or tweak W/O, so that I could get overhead work in, as to not neglect the shoulder flexibility from over head work.
What day would you add the OHP?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think it would be good to add in on Day 3. You've already got some pullups in there. It would be in the same plane. Probably right before the pullups. You could even cycle in supersetting the pullups and OHP every third week. It's amazing how well supersetting antagonists works.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Short answer...,
I would probably nix completely the 2nd dead in W/O #1 and do OHP's after the BP's, then as Herder says day #3 before BP's.
The first dead I would do from floor and not pin pulls until I got farther into the cycle. As an intermed lifter, I don't know how much you would benefit from the pin pulls as opposed to heavy floor work!?!?

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Short answer...,
I would probably nix completely the 2nd dead in W/O #1 and do OHP's after the BP's, then as Herder says day #3 before BP's.
The first dead I would do from floor and not pin pulls until I got farther into the cycle. As an intermed lifter, I don't know how much you would benefit from the pin pulls as opposed to heavy floor work!?!?
Until now I have been pulling from the floor. Of course until now I have only been focussing on hypertrophy thus the odd max for deadlifts. I am planning on competing in the push and pull event which is just bench and deadlifts for now, till I can get my squat to a higher level.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
Also I have a plan I wrote out before this for getting into strength training which is a 3 day split.

Here it is

Day 1
Deadlifts 3x3 4th add 20lbs per lift for three total two minutes rest between
Pullups weighted 5x5 explosive 2 minutes rest in between sets
Trap Bar deadlifts: 3x3 2 minutes rest using bands to improve lockout strength.
Weighted hyperextensions: 3x3 2 minutes rest
Hamstring curls: 5x5 2 minutes rest
Face Pulls: 5x5 2 minutes rest
5x5 Bicep preacher curls 2 minutes rest
30 minutes cardio post workout

Day 2
Bench 3x3 with bands to improve lockout strength 2 minutes rest
Floor press: 3x3 with bands added 2 minutes rest
Weighted dips: 5x5 2 minutes rest
Overhead press: 3x3 2 minutes rest
Tricep pushdowns: 5x5 2 minutes rest
Skull crushers: 5x5 2 minutes rest