Kettlebell v. Barbell Deadlift

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Is it beneficial for someone who wants to build a big deadlift to rotate between kettle bell and barbell deadlift each week?

Liftr

Awards
I like to rotate. Due to a less restricted range of motion because of bar, kettle bells allow me to concentrate more on weaker hamstrings and glutes than my back.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like to rotate. Due to a less restricted range of motion because of bar, kettle bells allow me to concentrate more on weaker hamstrings and glutes than my back.
Do you just do suitcase deadlifts with kettlebells? I think my gym only has KB's up to 80lbs or so, which means they're really only good for suitcase deads I think. Great for stability/stabilizers/core.

I'm curious how you're incorporating them for glutes/hammies though, so any feedback on that would be great man.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The path and biomechanics would be vastly different. There could be some carryover, but there are far better options.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The path and biomechanics would be vastly different. There could be some carryover, but there are far better options.
Trap bar deads would be better than KB deads I think, right? Less restricted range of motion, but you can load up the weight this way. KB's are limited in how much weight you can use.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Alright, I'll have to incorporate that into my schedule.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Trap bar deads would be better than KB deads I think, right? Less restricted range of motion, but you can load up the weight this way. KB's are limited in how much weight you can use.
Better, but they're still pretty dissimilar. They're more quad oriented with less hip hinge. The best thing for a better deadlift will be to deadlift. More than any other lift, force production is paramount and it's a skill that needs to be practiced.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I never thought about that aspect. They'd only be good til 203lbs (largest I've seen so far).

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The best thing for a better deadlift will be to deadlift. More than any other lift, force production is paramount and it's a skill that needs to be practiced.
Definitely. I think the GHD has a lot of carryover too, as an assistance exercise.

MistrJay

MistrJay

Awards
  • Established
Definitely. I think the GHD has a lot of carryover too, as an assistance exercise.
Yeah I was planning on building one. I found some plans for a DIY version on Pinterest.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I was planning on building one. I found some plans for a DIY version on Pinterest.
Yup, you just need something to lock your feet in place, if you don't have someone to hold them.

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
I wish more gyms had barbell platforms. My short ass arms and long ass legs make it a pain to properly deadlift.

I like Dumbbells and Kettlebells except they dont make them heavy enough. I like the feel of deads on dumbbells and Kettlebells. But the bar allows more weight loading.

Some day they'll make dumbbells out of heavy-assium and be the size of those pink dumbbells. Guy grunting and groaning to move a 200lb mini dumbbell would be priceless.

ryox82

Awards
  • Established
Do swings in addition to deads. It preserved a ton of strength in my posterior chain when I wasn't lifting at all. Mind you my numbers aren't big to begin with so you might need a heavier bell than I used. I have a 54 lb currently.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"The best thing for a better deadlift will be to deadlift. More than any other lift, force production is paramount and it's a skill that needs to be practiced."

Well said, and absolutely agree that doing that very lift, will be most beneficial. At least from my experiences I believe one has to pay their dues on that lift. Take your time, learn it well and slowly overtime, work it again and again and again.
I am more built for deadlifting, so I have had good results with heavy deadlfiting first and foremost, but I can also say, 2" deficit deadlfts, RDL's, squatting, middish shin rack pulls, have been keys and quite beneficial in upping my conventional pull.
TB deads are okay, maybe a bit more user friendly for some low back sketchy-ness, but the carryover was off a bit on my conventional max pull to my TB max. I have not used it in some time now.