Unanswered Keto Diet and working out

Victoross

Awards
Ok this may seem like a silly question but can anybody recommend workout programs for a guy on the Keto diet?

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ok this may seem like a silly question but can anybody recommend workout programs for a guy on the Keto diet?
I'm on keto, have been for months now. I'm having great results utilizing brief high intensity workouts.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Honestly, you can continue your present training regiment. You can do strength. You can do hypertrophy. No reason you cannot do any training style on keto.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’d just try to stick to any training plan that follows proper training guidelines that fits your goals and availability, shouldn’t need something specific for Keto (although it may effect how “easy” some feel vs others).

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No real need to change training on keto. First few weeks you might feel a bit off, but as you become fat adjusted that will fade.

btothefman

Awards
For all of you training on keto what is your protein intake as Keto usually has it pretty low?

Also with do throw in any carbs at workout / post workout - if so how much and does it knock you out of Keto?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For all of you training on keto what is your protein intake as Keto usually has it pretty low?

Also with do throw in any carbs at workout / post workout - if so how much and does it knock you out of Keto?
I do 1g per lb of body weight minimum of protein per day. If I do carbs, it is simple carbs, at least a few hours post workout, and I can have up to a few hundred grams. When you eat, you temporarily get out of ketosis due to insulin spike, the carbs shuttle into muscle as glycogen, and you are back in ketosis.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not sure if I am reading this incorrectly, but you are saying that you follow a keto diet, yet consume "a few hundred grams" of simple carbs post workout? Lol

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not sure if I am reading this incorrectly, but you are saying that you follow a keto diet, yet consume "a few hundred grams" of simple carbs post workout? Lol
Yes. When one is glycogen depleted, and one is in ketosis, one can refill the muscle with glycogen. As long as one does not spill over, consuming too many carbs, one will remain on ketosis. I have many blood tests to prove what I am talking about, as well as personal experiences, as well as other guys on the ketospace saying the same thing.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes. When one is glycogen depleted, and one is in ketosis, one can refill the muscle with glycogen. As long as one does not spill over, consuming too many carbs, one will remain on ketosis. I have many blood tests to prove what I am talking about, as well as personal experiences, as well as other guys on the ketospace saying the same thing.
Tbh based on my personal experience and tests this is definitely not true for me. 30g dextrose preworkout wasn’t a problem when I did it, but hundreds of grams and not having it replenish liver glycogen seems wild to me. You happen to have any research on this? Would be interested to learn more

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dude results as in fat loss, muscle gain, lifting more?
I'm between 11 - 12% bf, maintaining 175 lbs. I'm diabetic so this style of eating and training fits. I'm 48 now so I don't technically bodybuild anymore, it's not exactly what I want now. I actually follow more of warrior diet eating pattern, it figures to be a 20/4.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Tbh based on my personal experience and tests this is definitely not true for me. 30g dextrose preworkout wasn’t a problem when I did it, but hundreds of grams and not having it replenish liver glycogen seems wild to me. You happen to have any research on this? Would be interested to learn more
Yeah, the research is me. I took multiple ketone blood tests. Your muscle can hold a few hundred grams of carbs alone. There is a way to calculate an approximate amount you can carry. My experience. I life morning. I eat a big dinner with soda, ice cream, carbs in the meal, and high protein. Wake up next day, test ketones, I'm in ketosis. Have done multiple multiple tests. Not only that, I still experience stable low blood sugar, no ups and down, stable energy, all the notes that would say im in ketosis. Before doing the carb back load deal, I was straight keto for a while. The more adapted you are to a fat based lifestyle, the easier it is to manipulate it without falling and staying out of ketosis.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

As far as protein goes, I eat around 170 grams, lots of greens, olives, avacados across a 4 hour eating window.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, the research is me. I took multiple ketone blood tests. Your muscle can hold a few hundred grams of carbs alone. There is a way to calculate an approximate amount you can carry. My experience. I life morning. I eat a big dinner with soda, ice cream, carbs in the meal, and high protein. Wake up next day, test ketones, I'm in ketosis. Have done multiple multiple tests. Not only that, I still experience stable low blood sugar, no ups and down, stable energy, all the notes that would say im in ketosis. Before doing the carb back load deal, I was straight keto for a while. The more adapted you are to a fat based lifestyle, the easier it is to manipulate it without falling and staying out of ketosis.
That’s wild. Definitely fat adapted here, but I know 250g refeeds require roughly 2 days before I’m back in ketosis. Do you happen to know the calculation? I’m always interested in experimenting. So far ckd (30g dextrose preworkout) and TKD have not impressed me though in terms of workout performance

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That’s wild. Definitely fat adapted here, but I know 250g refeeds require roughly 2 days before I’m back in ketosis. Do you happen to know the calculation? I’m always interested in experimenting. So far ckd (30g dextrose preworkout) and TKD have not impressed me though in terms of workout performance
Look up "John Keifer" and glycogen. Are you testing your ketones via blood test? Or going by a feel. Now I get my carbs post workout, and within an hour feeding window.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Look up "John Keifer" and glycogen. Are you testing your ketones via blood test? Or going by a feel. Now I get my carbs post workout, and within an hour feeding window.
So you do carb backloading, not keto. Keto is high fat, moderate protein, no carbs, indefinitely (no refeeds or carb ups etc).

I don’t think it really matters what it’s called, because I would much rather do your style of diet especially if it works, but it not keto though, even if you are in ketosis

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So you do carb backloading, not keto. Keto is high fat, moderate protein, no carbs, indefinitely (no refeeds or carb ups etc).

I don’t think it really matters what it’s called, because I would much rather do your style of diet especially if it works, but it not keto though, even if you are in ketosis
Carb back loading is another name for cyclical ketogenic diet, which is a ketogenic diet with the targeted usage of carbs around a workout. I'm in ketosis most of the time, tested via many blood tests.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Carb back loading is another name for cyclical ketogenic diet, which is a ketogenic diet with the targeted usage of carbs around a workout. I'm in ketosis most of the time, tested via many blood tests.
I get it, but it’s not keto. Actually carb backloading is really a tkd because Kiefer wanted you to eat the carbs only after training iirc. Regardless if it works then that’s all that matters, but I just don’t want people to read this and get confused. Keto is no carbs, high fat and moderate protein, indefinitely

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get it, but it’s not keto. Actually carb backloading is really a tkd because Kiefer wanted you to eat the carbs only after training iirc. Regardless if it works then that’s all that matters, but I just don’t want people to read this and get confused. Keto is no carbs, high fat and moderate protein, indefinitely
This is exactly what was throwing me when Thor mentioned consuming hundreds of grams of simple carbs yet calling it keto. Spaced backloading.