Keeping carbs high when on recomp?

LvlUpStrength

Awards
Currently I'm losing weight while trying to preserve muscle mass! I bulked to 225lbs and now I'm looking to reduce my bodyfat while shedding weight. After recomp for the first few weeks, I'm now 216lbs and starting to look more defined. I'm trying to keep my carbohydrates high as I don't want to lose muscle. How is my cutting diet? I'm currently going for 2,500-2,750 calories a day on gym days and 2,750-3,000 calories on non-gym days.

Breakfast
Quaker Oats - Quaker Rolled Oats
Semi Skimmed Milk, 250 ml
Bulk Powders - Whey Protein (Bulk Powders), 1 Scoop
Total: 404 calories, 43 grams of carbs, 10 grams of fat

Workout
600-800 calories burned on calisthenics and weightlifting four times a week
Non-gym days, I do HIIT which burns about 300-400 calories

Post-workout
Bodybuilding Warehouse Performance Mass
Premium LUX Protein flapjack
500ml, semi-skimmed milk
Total: 1,044 calories, 144 grams of carbs, 68 grams of protein

Lunch
Two slices of bread
Tin of Tuna
Pure Orange Juice
Total: 669 calories, 88 grams of carbs, 38 grams of protein

Dinner
White rice - half cup
4 Atlantic cod fillets
Jacket Potato
Total: 616 calories, 54 grams carbs, 50 grams of protein

Before Bed
Bulk Powders - Whey Protein (Bulk Powders), 1 Scoop
Semi-Skimmed Milk, 250ml

Total: 3,235 calories, 379 grams of carbs, 84 grams of fat, 245 grams of protein
Total after exercise: 2,486 calories

Thank you.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I mean how does it seem to be working? If you are losing weight and still feel pretty good and performing well I wouldn't change anything, as that is what matters most.

I hate over-complicating things (even though I tend to do it anyways haha), so I'll leave a few thoughts alone unless you expand on some stuff, but the only potential thing I'd look at for now is upping the potential micronutrient profile of your diet. The macro breakdown looks pretty solid and I don't have any immediate concerns with food choices (other than if you feel hungry you could maybe increase whole food protein and less powders, but if it is working for you and you enjoy stick to it).

I do think adding some vegetables and maybe swapping some of the carb sources with some fruits could potentially help with fullness too (especially down the road if you need to drop calories more), along with helping to make sure you are more readily covered in vitamins, minerals, and other micronutrients as you continue in a deficit.

Regardless though congrats on the weight loss so far and good luck going forward!

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Why are you thinking carbs will keep you from losing muscle?

doithuong

doithuong

Awards
A pretty great topic, thanks for your answer

Derek Wilson

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Something important I have found here. Thanks and keep it up!