Keep the cut going?

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
I've been cutting for a few months and still chasing that shredded look for summer time but I just can't manage to get the abs to show fully. I'm counting calories and losing scale weight with adequate protein intake and a stable weight training program yet the far loss has stalled around my midsection.

I've never truly been ably to see my abs without a hard flex but I'm at that stage of my cut where I'm questioning if it's worth looking stringy/and skinny in clothes. So my question is, would you continue to cut or bump cals back up yo maintenance and go for a recomp?
Snapchat-1408897082.jpeg

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Your obviously not ripped but your in good shape. Id bump up the calories and train harder, bust ass, and try to get bigger.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I guess only you know.....do you want to be big and blocky or lean and shredded?

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
I guess I've made up my mind..the best of both worlds.

After kicking around a few ideas on my diet, I've decided to go with the hybrid approach. I'll stick with Intermittent Fasting(16/8 feeding window) but I'll add in some more moderate/high carb days. So effectively IF+Carb Cycling. I think this approach will help me keep my muscle glycogen stores somewhat filled while still being able to burn a little fat as fuel on my low carb days. Anyone else have success with IF+CC?

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I guess I've made up my mind..the best of both worlds.

After kicking around a few ideas on my diet, I've decided to go with the hybrid approach. I'll stick with Intermittent Fasting(16/8 feeding window) but I'll add in some more moderate/high carb days. So effectively IF+Carb Cycling. I think this approach will help me keep my muscle glycogen stores somewhat filled while still being able to burn a little fat as fuel on my low carb days. Anyone else have success with IF+CC?
Carb cycling has always worked well for me. IF is just a meal timing strategy in my eyes, it doesn't really change anything in the long run if you're tracking calories.

You already have a nice shape, but I can see how you'd want to lose that last bit of fat. At this level for me, cardio is all I need to add in to see the last few pounds drop off. Are you currently doing any cardio?

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’d be happy with that level of body fat but I’ve never been the type to want to look shredded. Having a strong, athletic physique is good enough for me.

Intermittent fasting does more than give you a specific window in which to eat. It can temporarily put you in ketosis. While fasted your body has to work harder to function, which means an increase in metabolism, which means an increase in fat burner (because it’s the only energy your body should have at its disposal). Also, while fasted you GH spikes which should help prevent catabolism, and potentially aid in fat loss. There’s many more benefits as well, involving the immune system and brain. But for some reason a lot of people on anabolicminds think intermittent fasting is nothing more than eating at specific times.

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
I’d be happy with that level of body fat but I’ve never been the type to want to look shredded. Having a strong, athletic physique is good enough for me.

Intermittent fasting does more than give you a specific window in which to eat. It can temporarily put you in ketosis. While fasted your body has to work harder to function, which means an increase in metabolism, which means an increase in fat burner (because it’s the only energy your body should have at its disposal). Also, while fasted you GH spikes which should help prevent catabolism, and potentially aid in fat loss. There’s many more benefits as well, involving the immune system and brain. But for some reason a lot of people on anabolicminds think intermittent fasting is nothing more than eating at specific times.
I'm finding this 16/8 IF strategy to definitely be helpful during a caloric deficit. I'm hoping that it will also work well during periods of caloric surpless as well. Hopefully the 16 hour fast will bring me into ketosis for at least a few hours of the day. Generally my first meal after breaking the fast is VERY low on carbs in order to keep ketosis going for an extra period of time(although it is generally a meal of higher protein and moderate fat).

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm finding this 16/8 IF strategy to definitely be helpful during a caloric deficit. I'm hoping that it will also work well during periods of caloric surpless as well. Hopefully the 16 hour fast will bring me into ketosis for at least a few hours of the day. Generally my first meal after breaking the fast is VERY low on carbs in order to keep ketosis going for an extra period of time(although it is generally a meal of higher protein and moderate fat).
I usually break my fast that way too. A protein shake is a great way to break it since it’s so low in calories and is essentially nothing but protein. If it fills you up then you can go another couple hours until you eat your first real meal.

I just broke my fast 5 minutes ago but I threw down some carbs today. Hey, you gotta live a little.

I also do the 16/8 but if I’m not hungry after 16 hours then I keep going. I never take it past 20 hours though.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been cutting for a few months and still chasing that shredded look for summer time but I just can't manage to get the abs to show fully. I'm counting calories and losing scale weight with adequate protein intake and a stable weight training program yet the far loss has stalled around my midsection.

I've never truly been ably to see my abs without a hard flex but I'm at that stage of my cut where I'm questioning if it's worth looking stringy/and skinny in clothes. So my question is, would you continue to cut or bump cals back up yo maintenance and go for a recomp?View attachment 166900
Recomping ia going to be almost impossible unless you are on gear. You need more calories to gain muscle and less to lose fat.

Personally, I would go on a lean bulk. I would put calories a few hundred over maintenance. If you cut any more, you might appear too skinny,

Gcrewhcp

Gcrewhcp

Awards
Carb cycling is effective but it isnt necessary or optimal. Go slightly over your maintenance calories by 300 to 400 calories. Incorporate Skip Load over the wkend to get metabolism to kick even more and refill glycogen.
Save IF when you are trying to dial it while on restricted calories.

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
So this past Saturday I downed a decent amount of carbs during my 8 hour window and even implemented some simple carbs in the form of dried cranberries. It tastes glorious. The next day I was looking pretty lean and it motivated me to keep the diet in check.

THIS is where it gets tricky. I trained fasted that morning (legs and cardio). I ate Chicken, veggies, Eggs, salad, and virtually no carbohydrates. I found myself tired but unable to sleep at all so I broke my fast at 1am to down a protein shake and some nuts. It satisfied my hunger but sleep was still nearly impossible. It has happened a few times on my low carb days and I'm going to assume this is what all you Ketogenic dieters go through with insomnia(even though I'm not following a keto diet).

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So this past Saturday I downed a decent amount of carbs during my 8 hour window and even implemented some simple carbs in the form of dried cranberries. It tastes glorious. The next day I was looking pretty lean and it motivated me to keep the diet in check.

THIS is where it gets tricky. I trained fasted that morning (legs and cardio). I ate Chicken, veggies, Eggs, salad, and virtually no carbohydrates. I found myself tired but unable to sleep at all so I broke my fast at 1am to down a protein shake and some nuts. It satisfied my hunger but sleep was still nearly impossible. It has happened a few times on my low carb days and I'm going to assume this is what all you Ketogenic dieters go through with insomnia(even though I'm not following a keto diet).
Does this insomnia happen alot? Perhaps adding something as simple as Melatonin or if you want to go with a full blown sleep aid? I am Keto and generally have no issue sleeping but this is just one person speaking

doogans

doogans

Awards
  • Established
Does this insomnia happen alot? Perhaps adding something as simple as Melatonin or if you want to go with a full blown sleep aid? I am Keto and generally have no issue sleeping but this is just one person speaking
The insomnia happens when I'm dipping well below maintenance calories along with low carb. So basically the nights where I'm in a deficit and carb depleted are challenging. I found that dosing magnesium before bed helps a bit.

herosjourney

Awards
The insomnia happens when I'm dipping well below maintenance calories along with low carb. So basically the nights where I'm in a deficit and carb depleted are challenging. I found that dosing magnesium before bed helps a bit.
5-HTP 100-500 mg before last meal of the day should provide a cool benefit. It is a precursor to serotonin, at 500 mg 10-15 min before your last meal you'll have serious trouble getting the food in and you'll feel very satiated and relaxed. 5-htp later converts to melatonin, and I've found that too much 5-htp or if I later take melatonin in addition to that makes it easy to fall asleep but I just keep waking up.

reulert

Awards
I have cut with intermittent fasting, Keto and regular calorie restrictions, also with 3 day a week intense training to 6 day a week low intensity training and I find myself coming back to a regular calorie restriction diet eating breakfast lunch and dinner and low intensity training 6 days a week fasted in the morning with just some bcaas and a little cardio at the end of my work outs. I generally back load my carbs until dinner for the day. I have to have carbs in the evening to sleep. Also I hate the taste of casein protein but it does satisfy hunger that might hit at the end of the night and I usually have 100 calories or so to spare to take a scoop if needed to get to sleep.

if your cut stalls add in some fasted cardio in the morning 20 minute HIIT seems to work great for me.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
5-HTP 100-500 mg before last meal of the day should provide a cool benefit. It is a precursor to serotonin, at 500 mg 10-15 min before your last meal you'll have serious trouble getting the food in and you'll feel very satiated and relaxed. 5-htp later converts to melatonin, and I've found that too much 5-htp or if I later take melatonin in addition to that makes it easy to fall asleep but I just keep waking up.
Interesting, do you wake up to use the rest room or just wake up from coming out of REM sleep?