How olds your boy?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How olds your boy?
A few days shy of 4 months. He’s actually handling it really well, thankfully. We’ve been at it since Thursday and can already see improvements.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A few days shy of 4 months. He’s actually handling it really well, thankfully. We’ve been at it since Thursday and can already see improvements.
That’s awesome. Lucy wouldn’t sleep through the night until she was almost two! But my wife breastfed her until she was three and she co-slept with us until she was three as well lol

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s awesome. Lucy wouldn’t sleep through the night until she was almost two! But my wife breastfed her until she was three and she co-slept with us until she was three as well lol
Yah. He doesn’t sleep all the way through, brooke has had to get up to breastfeed him between 11-12 and again around 3, but for her that beats the heck out of sleeping unreclined in a lazy boy slumped over. Her neck, back, hips were really starting to give her problems and it definitely wasnt restful sleep. It just wasnt sustainable for her anymore.

We thought hed really struggle because he has slept in a bassinet without brooke for less than 10 hrs cumulatively since we brought him home. And he HATED the crib when we first tried naps in it. But after that first night he seems to have gotten the hang of it...so far.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man, that’s huge lol We would go to lay Lu down in the crib and she would wake immediately. Keep doing what you’re doing!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M3w4d2

WU:
Mtn climbers: x30s
RFE Landmine Split squat: 45x10x2
Ss/
Dead Bug: x8 each side

1. Sq (mid to low bar)
45/95/135/185/225/275x5 (with breath belt)
[email protected]/7.5/7.5/9/7.5

4th set my hips shot back on last rep and increased the RPE.

2. 2-3 ct pause squat
(Breath belt)
250x4x4

3. Bench supp Gbarly NG Landmine row
100x10x3

Ss/

4. Band stomps
Heavy x20x2

Ss/

5. Ab rollout
Bw x8 x2

Breath belt is very nice. Like I said I was very hesitant to spend that much on a soft belt, but with the cash gift I had been given it made it worth the gamble. It is much more supportive than the soft neoprene rehband “warm belt” but still pliable enough to allow for expansion with proper diaphragmatic breathing. Im hoping just working on breathing drills with it might help my back discomfort by helping to correct (at least partially) my APT & potential scoliosis that ive never actually been officially diagnosed with but think i have.

Last edited:
BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
M3w4d2

WU:
Mtn climbers: x30s
RFE Landmine Split squat: 45x10x2
Ss/
Dead Bug: x8 each side

1. Sq (mid to low bar)
45/95/135/185/225/275x5 (with breath belt)
[email protected]/7.5/7.5/9/7.5

4th set my hips shot back on last rep and increased the RPE.

2. 2-3 ct pause squat
(Breath belt)
250x4x4

3. Bench supp Gbarly NG Landmine row
100x10x3

Ss/

4. Band stomps
Heavy x20x2

Ss/

5. Ab rollout
Bw x8 x2

Breath belt is very nice. Like I said I was very hesitant to spend that much on a soft belt, but with the cash gift I had been given it made it worth the gamble. It is much more supportive than the soft neoprene rehband “warm belt” but still pliable enough to allow for expansion with proper diaphragmatic breathing. Im hoping just working on breathing drills with it might help my back discomfort by helping to correct (at least partially) my APT & potential scoliosis that ive never actually been officially diagnosed with but think i have.
Nice work mate! Squat numbers are moving up nicely!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice work mate! Squat numbers are moving up nicely!
Thanks Hoss!

M3w4d3

8/6/3 BB Pp was on deload so i just did some pressing with the landmine & gnarly handle 45 degree hand position.

1. FP + ER
Choked micro x35x3

2. Gnarly Landmine OP (hand position as above)
100x8x2

3. Band tri ext:
Looped mini over yoke xbar x20x3

4. Band PA
MM x20x3

Basically a deload day but not officially.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M3w4d4

1. Sumo DL
WU: 135/185/225 “pop off” pauses
275x5
315x5
365x4x5

Moved my feet out wider than what I remember typically having them and that allowed me to get my hips in closer and sit a little more upright. The last rep of 315 came up so quick that it caught me off guard and tipped me backwards. I had to take some quick shuffles back to stop myself from falling. Half good that it moved that quick but half bad that I’m so loose on the ground that I tipped that easily.

365 sets moved night and day from last micro. These truly felt explosive. Just wish i could get some consistency...whenever I have these thoughts my mind always goes to wanting higher frequency with strictly technique work. I think I’m kind of addicted to that form of training just because the results RTS Project Momentums yielded for me. My hips and lumbosacral region just cant handle it at this point though.

2. Unil Landmine RDL
100x10x3

This will be sticking around as an accessory. My hammies and whole glute complex was on fire only a few reps in. Just need to be sure to stay focused on bracing as the anti rotation is something my spine struggles with and is easy for me to overload.

Ss/

3. Spud pulldown
115x10x4 vs mini around yoke pegs with the middle wrapped around the pulldown pin.

4. PT
Avg x20x2

Ss/

5. Ab rollout
Bw x8x2

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The RTS high frequency stuff is most suited for the youth and those genetically gifted for recovery. Look who trains that way: younger IPF lifters who come in and out of competitive powerlifting in a few years. Guys like Tuscherer are exceptions. Mike was/is a phenomenal lifter, better than most on drugs even. To take nothing away from his programming or worth ethic (as they’re exceptional), most folks cannot hold up to that stuff forever.

You get the best results from the hardest, most specific & frequent training you can recover from/keep up with. It’s up to you to figure out whatever that is.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The RTS high frequency stuff is most suited for the youth and those genetically gifted for recovery. Look who trains that way: younger IPF lifters who come in and out of competitive powerlifting in a few years. Guys like Tuscherer are exceptions. Mike was/is a phenomenal lifter, better than most on drugs even. To take nothing away from his programming or worth ethic (as they’re exceptional), most folks cannot hold up to that stuff forever.

You get the best results from the hardest, most specific & frequent training you can recover from/keep up with. It’s up to you to figure out whatever that is.
No doubt. There are multiple reasons why I’m not even close to considering moving to that style of training. One - i couldnt handle it physically. Two - theres no chance I have enough time to get one of those types of sessions completed. Three - its way too specific for where im at in my training journey (eg. No sights on a comp anytime soon).

I do think if i ever reverted back to that I’d be ultra conservative with the technique work...like 3-5 sets of 3 between 60-70%. Literally JUST for really dialing in technique.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M3w5d1

Rd x fly: micro x30x2
Looped pushdown: mini x20x2

1. Bench (pinky on ring)
45/95/135/185/225/265x5
300x2x4
[email protected]

2. Cg 2bd - strict 2m rest
215x8x4, +5

3a. LR
22.5x15x2

3b. Rd x fly
Choked mini x15x2

3c. Spider curl
22.5x12x2

12-14 day microcycles haven’t stalled me out yet...that time between sessions isnt intentional but it has* been very consistent.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M3w5d2

WU:
Dynamic stretch
LM RFE SS contralateral load: 45x10x2
Ss/
Pallof: mini for 2 sets

1. MB squat
45/x8-12
95/135/185/225/275x5
315x3x5

Belt for 275 & 315

2. LB 2-3 ct pause squat
255x4x4 (vid last set)

All belted

3a. NG LM standing bench supported row
90x10x3

Ss/

3b. Stomps
Heavy x20x2

Ss/

3c. Ab rollout
x8x2

Pauses felt good.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M3w4d3

1. FP + ER
Choked micro x35x3

2. BB Push press
45/95x8
120x5
145x6
165x6
[email protected]

Last 6s week i got 180 x9@9 sooo today was a good day. Today was probably a PP rep PR with 185 but i cant say for sure. Gonna record this as my PR for now though since i havent kept PRs for this in years.

3. Band pushdowns
Looped mini x25x3 Neutral grip

Ss/

Hammer curl
45x15x2

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hammer curls for the win!
I prefer spider curls but its easier to just pump out some heavy hammers than it is to focus on TUT with spiders.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M3w5d4

WU:
Dyn stretch
Bw stomp march x45-60s
Palloff
Side bend: 45x20x2

1. Sumo DL
135/225/275/320x5
370x3x2
420x1 (all the weight i have - still waiting on my 2 pairs of deep dish 45s to ship from the order I placed 3 weeks ago).
420x1 conv
370x3x3

420 sets weren’t great. Im a long way off from hitting 405x20 again . Would be tough saying if i could pull 5 at this moment, I’ll get there.

2. Unil LM RDL
110x10
100x10x2

RH/LL combo is soooo much harder than vice versa. These hammer the imbalance(s) in my posterior oblique sling.

Ss/

3. Spud pulldown
Vs mini
120x10x4

4. Pull through
Avg x25x2

Ss/

5. Ab rollout
Bw x8x2

Once I get those plates in ill have more weight than i could even think about touching right now. Half of me thought it was dumb to buy the second pair, the other half said fuk that get strong enough to use that much again. You now know which half won out. If nothing else, ill have an old shiît pair of plates to keep on the back of the yoke.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can never have too much weight in your gym.

Eddie Hall and Hafthor could have a deadlift off at my gym without using even half of the plates, and I would still buy more if the right deal came along.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M3w6d1&2 - deload

L triceps tendon has been bugging me so i just kept pushing the upper deload back to just combine it with the squat day.

1. Bench (comp grip 2 bd)
185x5x3

Ss/

2. Band PA
Mm x20x3

3. Mid bar squat
225x5x3 - 90s rest

4. 1-2 ct Pause squat (x1@8)
225/275x1
[email protected]?
365x1@8 (video)

This has to be one of the heaviest squats of any variety that ive done in close to 2 years. Still have a long way to go but this was totally pain free and moved great so im optimistic. I know it seems strange to have done that on a deload but, to reiterate what Israetel & CWS state, it’s really total volume that hinders recovery. Pounding out a ton of reps is way less of a productive deload than 1 rep at 92% of a specialty max that is just hardly over 80% of one’s likely true 1rm. There’s more than one way to skin a cat though...people have undoubtedly made progress for years & years dropping the weight and pounding out a zillion reps for a deload session.

5. Supported bent over Landmine row (3x10)
90x10x3

Ss/

6. RFE SS
Bw x10x2

Ive got tomorrow off then work friday-sunday so im not sure how im gonna work in the last deload session. I might not even do the deadlift session and just do a recovery day with some cardio, stomps, & dead bugs one day then start back up with M4 next week.

The rogue deep dish plates arrives yesterday, theyre perty. Truly high quality, precise machining. They fit like an absolute glove in the sleeve of the barbell. I still dunno if paying that much for a piece of metal that i put on another piece of metal to move around is worth it, but they do look great and are extremely well made.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Post a pic of your new gym beauties!

Maybe try 100-rep band Pressdowns with a micro or miniband for that tricep tendon a few days a week, on off days even? Just flushing blood to help recover that tendon and clean it out. Not muscle work, just getting blood in tendons.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Post a pic of your new gym beauties!

Maybe try 100-rep band Pressdowns with a micro or miniband for that tricep tendon a few days a week, on off days even? Just flushing blood to help recover that tendon and clean it out. Not muscle work, just getting blood in tendons.
IMG_8115.JPG

IMG_8116.JPG

Yup, need to bring one of my micros back up into the room. I can do them when i wake up when waiting for the shower to warm up. Thanks for the reminder.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Them are nice. They're based on the old school York deep dishes, I think.

I want a pair of the Yorks to display, but they cost hundreds of dollars for a pair.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like that Rogue is in the plate business now, though. I still prefer the old vintage Yorks (I'm a history major, I like lifting with history lmao), but I'd have bought those Rogue deep dishes if I were starting from scratch.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Got a new mattress delivered yesterday. It’s one with an adjustable frame - i slept in zero gravity for the first half of the night then went flat for the last half of the night. Today was the first day in probably 3 years i didnt wake up with lower back stiffness/borderline pain in my L lumbar.

Hopefully it wasn’t just a one off and that becomes a consistent thing.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
YEAHHHHH BUDDY!!!! My back absolutely improved when I got a new quality mattress. It matters so much! Glad you enjoyed the first night man.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
YEAHHHHH BUDDY!!!! My back absolutely improved when I got a new quality mattress. It matters so much! Glad you enjoyed the first night man.
Make it back to back nights of good sleep and painless wakings. Man...i could get used to this.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w1d1

WU:
Tri set - Mm band PA x30 -> micro SA pushdown x25 -> mini SA fly x20 for 2 rounds

1. Comp bench
45/95x8
135/185/225/255x5
285x2x4
[email protected]

2. Comp grip 2bd
280x3x3@6/7/6

3a. Lateral raise
22.5x15x2

Tri/

3b. RD x fly
Choked mini x15x2

Tri/

3c. Spider curl
22.5x12x2

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M42qd2

-2/16-
Wu
Dyn stretch
Standing Fire hydrant
Bw squat x10x2
RFE SS: bwx10x2
Rear delt x fly: mini x20x3

1. MB squat
45/95/135 x some #
185x5
225x5
(+ belt)
275x5
315x3x5 felt more difficult than i was expecting or it should have been. Think i fell into the trap of having my stance too wide for the first two sets. In the Olys that doesn’t work out well for me - in flats i’m what most would consider a pretty wide stanced squatter but i have to bring it in some when i put the olys on or else it messes with the medial aspect of my knee and cuts my power out of the hole.

2. LB 3-4ct = 1-2s pause squat
265x4x4

3. BO bench supported landmine row
95x10x3

-2/17-
Rear delt x fly: mini x20x2

Ab rollout: bw x8x3

Band stomp: heavy x20x3 straight through alternating

Yesterday afternoon’s session finished this morning. Back and hips feeling good after the stops, was a little stiff (not pain) this morning.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w1d3

WU:
Dyn stretch

1. FP + ER
Looped micro x35x3

2. BB PP
45/95/115x5+
135x8
155x8
165x8+ —> x12

3. SA Tri ext
Sup: Looped micro x25x2
Pron: looped mini x25x2

Ss/

4. Hammer curl
45x15x2

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Do you feel like the band stomps make a pretty big difference in leg recovery?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Do you feel like the band stomps make a pretty big difference in leg recovery?
I do, yah. They really stretch out the lumbar at the top and then give a good glute contraction at the bottom.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w2d1

WU:
Band PA: mini x30x2
SA pec fly: mini x20x2
SA tri ext: mini x20

1. Comp bp
45/95/135/185/225/255x5
290x2x4
290@[email protected]

2. 2bd BP (comp grip)
280x3x3

Tri set/

3. RD X fly
Mini x20x3

Tri set/

4. Spider curls
22.5x12x2

All comp bench sets were on strict 2m rests aside from the rest period prior to the amrap which was a strict 3m, so there was some cumulative fatigue that went into that top set. However, the top set reps have been down from last meso and it’s going to be a grind to not fail out on bench this meso it seems. The 3/4/5 tri set was straight through without rest between exercises or sets - i needed to blaze through it to get the whole thing in (aside from laterals...whatever) before work.

On Thursday I did 355x5x5 on deads, alternating between sumo (3 sets) & conv (2 sets). Sumos continued to feel like ****. Somehow just that had my lats and traps sore...the detraining is real.

BW is holding steady between 250-255. Physique feels a little puffier.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Nice bench numbers!

It sucks when you're getting sore pulling numbers that were once early in the warm-up regime, but you're trying to recover, not build, so you are kicking goals by just being consistent. Nice work.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w2d2

WU:
Bird dog
Bss: bw x10x2
Lateral pallof

1. M/LB Squat
45/95/135/185/225/275x5
(+ belt)
320x3x5 (did 3x3, [email protected] - running short on time)

2. 3-4ct LB Pause Squat
270x4x4 (did 1x4x 2x6 - short on time as noted above).

Finish tomorrow. Takes me a touch longer to get up and moving than it used to, plus i had to fight my morning poo out this morning so that battle took a little longer than expected.

Thinking of pivoting and making deadlifts my technique lift instead of squats. Things have been consistently moving forward in squats whereas that is most definitely not the case on pulls.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Making deadlifts the technical lift also improves systemic recovery slightly IME

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w2d2 accessories

1. Band stomp
Heavy x30x3

Ss/

2. BO Gnarly handle LM row (1 set pronated, 2 sets NG)
100x12x3

3. Ab roll x8x2

Credit to Hyde for the push to up the stomp reps. 15-20 is good for me as a warmup/prehab but if im gonna use them in an actual accessory slot I need to push the reps more than I was.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w3d3

Wu:
Band tri ext
BSS: bw x10
Bw squat: x10

1. FP + ER
Looped micro x35x3

2. BB PP
45/85/115x5
140x3
155x8
185x6
195x3+ -> [email protected]
[email protected]
245-250x - skipped

I slept with my neck in a jacked up position last night and on the 6th rep at 185 it locked up on me. I tested it out on 195 and as long as i didnt extend my neck on the eccentric it didnt bother me too bad. I cut the amrap a couple reps shy and skipped the final joker i was gonna go for. Will get the PR next meso.

The kid woke up earlier than i thought he was going to so i had to cut the session here. Ill get the bi/tri work in this afternoon during a nap.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w3d4

Made the switch to deads as my technique lift. Fukked around with some singles first to establish a legitimate 70% for where im at right now.

Wu:
Dyn stretch
Hip airplanes

•Conv DL
135x10, 185/225/275/315x5
(+ belt)
365x1
405x1
455x1@9

455 was my 1rm in Feb-March 2014...

I will say that technique was the prohibitive factor here. I could tell i had more juice but the technical proficiency just isnt there right now.

455x0.7 = 320

320x3x5 technique protocol

•SL LM RDL (3x10)
100x10x3

Ss/

•Spud cable 45 degree pulldown/row
100x15x4

Might get around to pull throughs and abs tomorrow morning before work, might not.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w3d1

WU:
Band X rear delt fly: choked mini x20x2
SA band tri ext: choked mini x12x2
SA band pec fly: choked mini x20x2

1. Comp bp
45x10, 95/135/185/225x5
265x5
[email protected]/7.5/8/8
295x5@9

WUs ss/ w/ Monster Mini Pull aparts: x20x5

2. 2bd Comp Grip
290x3x3@9/9.5/9

Ss/

3. Db rd fly
25x10x2

Ss/

4. Hammer curl
35x15x2

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w3d2

Switched squat to 5th set lower lift

WU:
Dyn stretch
Band distracted couch stretch x30s each leg
RFESS: x10x2
Wall glute activation with block x5 count x2 rds
Dead bug off bench x8 reps

1. Comp squat (flats, low bar)
45/95/135/185/225/275x5
(+ belt, straps)
325x2x4
[email protected]

Oddly enough, the next weight on my progression for technique work was already set to be 325. So instead of 15 total reps (325x3x5) i got 18 total reps in this rep scheme. I used 405 as my e1rm based on a triple i did last November. I figured that would be conservative and leave me room to continue building momentum. Won’t lie im feeling okay about that top set given the fact its my first week back. I think i may be able to squat more than I can deadlift for the first time in my life.

2. 2-3 ct pause squat
275x4x4

3. Stomp
Heavy x30x3

Ss/

4. Box supp LM Gnarly Handle Meadows Row
105x12x3

Ss/

5. Ab rollout
Bw x8x3

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks Mate. Rpe scale is 1-10. It’s tougher to predict well the higher the reps get, for me at least.
Ah yeah me too. Saw something on insta the other day about how RPE is supposed to be 1-12 but I've always scaled it 1-10 myself (seems far more intuitive) but wanted to clarify.

Nice final set of squats!