Jrock’s DC Training log

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just back from my honeymoon, time for a new log. Also switching to DC training, never tried it before.

Goals:

Unlike most here, I’m not trying to look like a bodybuilder. Looking more for the underwear model look, maybe with slightly better muscularity.

Here is a starting pic, taken within the past couple of days:

Training:

DC workouts on m/w/f with 20 minutes of some form of cardio- some elliptical or maybe a few sets of the Bear. One additional day per week, probably sundays, I’ll do a bit of cardio and core work- most likely a little swimming and just a couple sets of ab work, nothing drastic.

Note: I have two blown discs that preclude me from doing certain things: squats, deadlifts, unsupported rowing movements, etc. Limits me a bit, but I try to train around it the best I can.

Nutrition:

I’ve been following the format of the vertical diet of late. I like how I feel on it and it seems to be working pretty well. Carbs tend to make me fat, so I’m careful with my carb intake and besides the fruits and veggies, my primary carb source is a couple servings of sweet potato each day. I’ll add rice if necessary- i.e. if I’m losing weight- but the goal is to maintain weight and just steadily recomp. On the other hand, if I start gaining weight or getting soft I’ll remove sweet potatoes on non training days. Maintenance level is right about 2500 calories, so that’s what I’ll be aiming for. Currently 6’2, 205-208lbs, bf 15% or a little less maybe.

I won’t post my eating every single day since it’s tedious and very redundant. I eat very consistently at least 5 days a week, but do stray a bit from the meal plan on my days off from work. Usual daily mealplan is:

Am smoothie: .5c carrots, 1c spinach, 1/2 banana, 1 scoop whey
1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
2 scoops whey either pwo or as afternoon snack

Lunch: 10-12oz chicken breast, 1c veggies, 1c sweet potato, 16oz milk

Afternoon: 1 orange

Dinner: 12oz lean beef, 1c sweet potato, 1c veggies

Pm snack: 1c egg whites, 1oz almonds

Totals: 2440 cals, 304p 60f 168c

Notes: twice a week I eat 12oz salmon instead of the chicken or beef. I also eat calves liver once a week, and some whole eggs on my off days. That should cover micronutrient intake.

Supplements:

Fish oil
Occasional GDA if I’m gonna eat a large carb meal on an off day
XFactor
EvoMuse BMP(once it gets here in a day or two)
IronLegion Invictus
Bcaa’s and creatine
Athletic Greens

Fire away with any questions or feedback. It’ll probably take me a few workouts to get into a rhythm with the DC format. I’m coming from Mentzer/Darden style HIT training.

Last edited:

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Did first DC workout yesterday, since I was still recovering from jet lag and dint make it to the gym Friday. Got in today for cardio and conditioning. I did:

20 easy/moderate minutes on the elliptical, then some stretching
2x20 back extension
2x20 machine crunch
2x25 oblique twist machine
10x cat vomit
75sec plank
23 minutes swimming- first time in the pool in a long time. Struggled and got winded easy, but mixed it up with fins, paddles, kickboard and leg buoy to just try to keep moving and not stop too much. Felt good to be in the water.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed. I miss those oblique twist machines. Can really turn it into a torture device when using holds. Burns so good

rax

rax

Awards
In! Thinking about switching to DC training as well. I am also currently doing a Mentzer HIT style workout.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
In! Thinking about switching to DC training as well. I am also currently doing a Mentzer HIT style workout.
I actually usually do full body HIT routines. I’m gonna do DC through the end of the year. Might go to mentzer style split in January.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am right now doing DC and it’s been great. I am sure you know DC is all about those compound movements and you’re taking those out. Why not try a training which doesn’t put this strain on your body? One thing is for sure, your body will get burned out if you’re going all out in DC.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am right now doing DC and it’s been great. I am sure you know DC is all about those compound movements and you’re taking those out. Why not try a training which doesn’t put this strain on your body? One thing is for sure, your body will get burned out if you’re going all out in DC.
Well, I’m not really taking them all out. I’ll just be doing v squat, hack squat and leg press instead of standard squats, which I’ve seen suggested as part of the quad rotation on the sites I’ve been reading on. Rows I can do as long as my torso is supported, so I have a few options there- machine row, there’s a hammer strength single arm row machine, and I’ll try something similar to a bb row on a cable machine. Might work since I won’t be holding actual weight bent over like that. Deadlifts and squats are out, but I feel like there’s suitable replacements and it’s a rotation of exercises. I hate not being able to deadlift, even rack pulls are a no go but there’s nothing I can do about that. I feel like it’s worth trying even if my circumstances may not be ideal.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout B today

12 minute elliptical warmup and stretching

BB curl x9, +2, +2
Reverse curl x10, +4, +1
Smith machine calf raise x10, +3, +3
Leg curl x9, +4, +3
Leg curl x8, x27

Hanging knee raise x40
Myo crunch x15
25 easy minutes on the elliptical
15 minutes in the sauna

Good first time with this workout. Went a little conservative on legs since I’ve been out of the gym for a couple weeks. Had intended to do v squats but some douche was camped out on it. There’s only 1 in the gym and he was there forever. I sat and waited a few minutes, up he was taking long rests and alternating between calf raises and v squats. He didn’t finish u til I was almost done on the elliptical. Ridiculous. It kills me when guys act like they own the place. Definitely should’ve gone heavier on the leg press- had been pushing the full stack but decided to back off a bit being first time back in a couple weeks. Not to self, go heavier next time.

Getting used to the rep cadence. For the most part I think I did pretty well, but will try to slow down on the negatives just a little more.

Last edited:
rax

rax

Awards
Gotta love when people camp out on the equipment, don't miss that at all. Good thing about going to the gym at 4am. Nothing wrong with easing back into it brotha, strong workout.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout A today:

DB bench x10, +3, +3
DB overhead press x7, +4, +2
Assisted dip(-15lbs) x6, +3, +2
Lat pull x10, +4, +3
Cable row x10, +4, +4

Hanging knee raise x40
70sec plank
3 sets of the Bear
13 minutes sauna

Nice workout today, felt like I got after it. Probably the most I’ve sweat in a workout in months. Was soaking through my shirt after the very first exercise. Could’ve gone a tad heavier on a couple things, but was doing variations of exercises I haven’t done in a while. Wasn’t too far off. Tweaked something in my back a few days ago so stopped at 3 sets on the Bear. Usually do 5 but didn’t want to push it.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout B today:

10 minute elliptical warmup and stretching hing

DB curl x8, +3, +2
Hammer curl x8, +3, +2
Seated calf raise x5, +2, +2
Stiff leg deadlift x8
VSquat x4, x5- notes below
Myo crunch x25
40 hanging knee raises

Most of the workout was good until I got to legs. That little tweak in my back is still there and it really bothered me today. Dunno if the stiff leg deadlifts contributed or not, but probably didn’t help. Besides leg curls, any other suggestions on hamstring exercises appreciated so I can avoid any deadlift variation. It was uncomfortable even getting under the shoulder pads on the vsquat and I couldn’t get very deep into them at all. Took a few pounds off for the longer set but it was still a little painful so I just stopped.

Grand scheme, I’m not too worried about my back. My hip is out of alignment, it happens now and again. A trip to my regular chiropractor and some rest and ice and this will work itself out.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I usually do Stiffleg Deadlift and Leg Press. It’s just a little easy on the back and you don’t get drained. If you go balls to wall on Stiff-leg, squats will just be too taxing to your back. Try to switch and see if it makes a difference.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Got in for core work and cardio today.

25 minutes elliptical
2x 20 torso twist machine
2x 20 machine crunch
75 second plank
23 minutes swimming- mix of fins, paddles, kickboard and leg buoy and unassisted freestyle

Nice little workout, nothing nuts- don’t intend for it to be. Good to get some blood pumping.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout A today:

10 minute elliptical warmup

Iso chest press x7, +4, +2
Shoulder press machine x8, +5, +3
Reverse grip BB bench press x9, +5, +4
Lat pullover machine x9, +4, +2
Iso row machine x8, +5, +3

Hanging knee raise x40
Myo crunch x15
20 minutes elliptical

Could’ve gone just a touch heavier on some of these but overall it was about right. I’ve made it through the rotation on all workout A exercises, so now will be able to add weight since I know where I’m at.

Chowing down on some steak and eggs before heading to the chiropractor to get my back straightened out.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout B this morning

Cable curl x7, +4, +2
DB wrist curl x10, +4, +2
Calf raise x7, +3, +2
High foot placement leg press x11
Smith machine lunges x8, x20

Hanging knee raise x40
Myo crunch x15
20 minutes LISS elliptical

Nothing particular of note. Picked the right weights today, everything felt about right and landed in the right ranges.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Food intake has been very consistent, sticking to the meal plan. Hunger is creeping up a tad, I find myself looking for a small snack here and there. Usually something like a small cup of soup and a small piece of bread, things laying around at work. Just ate a couple small sweet tomatoes with balsamic, olive oil and a small piece of burrata.

Noticed my weight is sliding back just a bit. Hovering right at 204 to 205 instead of 205-208 two weeks ago. Gonna add meals of eggs with the “just crack an egg” fixings a couple times a week. Trying to not gain very quickly and put on fat, certainly not trying to undereat and lose weight, which would make progress difficult too. Will approach it cautiously.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout A today: overslept yesterday so got in today instead.

Smith Incline x7, +2, +2
Smith Overhead x9 +3, +3
Smith close grip bench x8 +4, +3
Assisted pull-up x5, +2.5, +1
Machine row x8 +4, +3

Hanging knee raise x40
Myo crunch x12
20 minutes LISS on elliptical

Progressed on all lifts since the last time, though minimally on incline, just got 2 extra reps in the rest pause phase. Progress is progress, though.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cardio and core work today.

25 minute elliptical followed by stretching

3x15 back extension
3x20 torso twist machine
3x12 machine crunch
35 seconds hollow hold
10 cat vomit
70 second plank
30 hanging knee raises
5 sets of the bear
25 minutes elliptical
15 minutes sauna

Had been looking forward to swimming, but I’d gotten the impression they were about to set up for one of those stupid fitness classes. I didn’t want to have my workout cut short so I did some other stuff instead. There was no class, so I dunno what they were doing. I’ll try to get in the pool tomorrow. Had a good workout anyway.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout B today.

BB curl x8, +4, +2
Reverse curl x5, +3, +2
Smith calf raise x11
Leg curl x10, +4 +3
VSquat x8, x23

Myo crunch x20
60 second plank
10x cat vomit

25 minutes elliptical

Had planned to swim today but the pool was full of old ladies for social hour. No class scheduled but that didn’t stop them...

Otherwise decent workout. Should’ve gone heavier on the VSquat and leg curls.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You could go heavy on those Widow Maker for sure

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout A today.

12 minute elliptical warmup

DB bench press x7.5 +3, +2
DB OH press x7 +3, +2
Assisted dip(-15lbs) x9 +4, +3
Lat pull x8 +4, +3
Cable row x8 +5, +4

40 hanging knee raises
40 second hollow hold
Cat vomit x10
Myo crunch x12
32 minutes swimming

Almost got 8 reps on the bench but couldn’t quite lock out, though I did go up in weight from last time so it’s still progress. Progressed on all other lifts. Will drop assist on he dips next time as I’m basically there.

Got a swimming snorkel the other day, was my first time using it. Liked it, was able to swim more and longer, not fighting to catch my breath.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout B today.

DB curl x6, +3, +2
Hammer curl x6, +3, +3
Seated calf raise x6, +3, +2
stiff leg deadlift x10
Leg press* x8, x20

myo crunch x20
10x cat vomit
20 minutes LISS elliptical

*Switched to vertical leg press because I’d maxed out on the pin stack machine. Lifted substantially more weight, though every machine feels different so it’s not quite apples to apples.

Progressed on all lifts. Added weight on both curls. Got two more reps than last time with the calf raises. He rep cadence and stretch on those is absolutely brutal.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cardio day.

20 minutes elliptical
2x15 back extension
2x20 torso twist
Machine crunches x12, x25
Hip adductor 2x15
Hip abductor 2x15
20 minutes elliptical
12 minutes sauna

Was a little short on time as I need to get to work, so no swimming today. Will shoot to swim tomorrow.

Added mk677 a couple days ago. Appear to be holding some water already- weight up a couple pounds and looking a tad softer.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout A today.

Iso lateral chest press x6, +3, +2
Machine shoulder press x8, +4, +3
Smith reverse grip bench x6, +3, +2
Lat pullover x8, +4, +3
Iso lateral row x9, +5, +3

Hanging knee raise x40
40 sec hollow hold
75 sec plank
25 minutes elliptical
17 minutes sauna

Pool was full, so opted for elliptical instead of waiting to swim. Weight was up on all exercises. Will need to go up again on the row and shoulder press. I was surprised I didn’t get more than 9 on the initial effort with the rows, felt way light to start off with.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout B today.

Cable curl x6 +3 +2
Wrist curl x8 +3 +3
Calf raises in leg press machine x9 +3 +3
High foot leg press x12
Smith machine lunges x6, x20

Myo crunch x15
60 second plank
20 minutes elliptical
10 minutes sauna

Solid workout today. Added weight aggressively on the smith lunches- 30lbs on the first set and 10(vs last workout) for the widow maker. Those hurt at rep 8, but pushed through and got 20.

Raising my calories a tad as of yesterday. Cut back my meat portion from 12 to 9oz, adding a second glass of milk, adding 4 eggs per day and swapping one serving of sweet potato with a serving of rice. Brings calories to about 2900(and change), 325p, 90f, 200c. Weight had been holding steady at 25-2600 and I’d been finding myself hungry between meals a lot. And I figure if I keep adding weight, I’ll need the extra cals.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout A today:

Smith incline x7, +3 +2
Smith overhead x8 +4 +3
Smith close grip bench x6 +3 +3
Assisted pull-up x6 +3 +3
Machine row x6 +4 +3

Hanging knee raise x40
Weighted myo crunch x25
60 sec plank

Continue to progress on exercises, though was at the same weight on incline and assisted pull-ups. Got two extra total reps each on those. Those two movements have always been a struggle for me. Added 20lbs to close grip bench since last time, 10 on overhead press and 10 on the row.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cardio day today.

25 minutes elliptical
3x20 torso twist machine
20,20,15 ab crunch machine
12,10,8 back extension
5 sets of the bear
35 minutes elliptical

Conditioning work is getting easier. Today seemed effortless.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout B today.

Bb curl x7 +4, +3
Reverse curl x7 +4 +3
Smith calf raise x11
Leg curl x8 +4 +3
Leg press x8, x20

Myo crunch x20
Hanging knee raise x30
Cat vomit x10

Was supposed to be v squats today instead of leg press but a dude was on there and I’ve literally seen him camp on that machine for like an hour. So I switched to leg press. He actually GI ished quick today, so I could’ve waited oh well, no big deal will do v squats Friday.

Added 20lbs on calf raise, 40lbs on heavy set of leg press and 50 on widowmaker set vs last time. Weight and/or reps up on arm movements today as well.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout A today

12 minute elliptical warmup

DB bench x6 +1
DB overhead press x7 +3
Dips x6 +3 +2
Lat pull x7 +3 +3
Seated cable row x6 +3 +2

Hanging knee raise x40
Myo crunch x20
60 second plank
25 minutes elliptical

Sorta hit the wall on the Db presses today. Was a struggle getting into position with them and could go for the last rest pause segment. Also, decided to switch to seated cable rows instead of doing them standing- was nearing maxing out the stack on the cable machine to do them standing so I didn’t think there was much reason to delay the inevitable.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cardio day today.

20 minutes elliptical
3 sets back extension
3 sets machine crunch
2 sets torso twist
10x cat vomit
25 minutes elliptical
15 minutes sauna

Woke up to piss at 4am and couldn’t get back to sleep. After laying there for two hours decided to get up and get into the gym. Gotta work Sunday, won’t be able to do my usual cardio so I got it in today. Works out I guess.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout B today.

DB curl x8 +4 +3
Hammer curl x8 +4 +3
Seated calf raise x7 +3 +3
Stiff leg deadlift x12
VSquat x8 x20

20 minutes elliptical

Progress was subtle on most of today’s lifts, just an extra rep or two on calves and the curls. Healthy bump on the VSquat.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout A today

Iso chest press x6 +3 +1
Machine shoulder press x8 +3 +3
Smith reverse grip bench x6 +3 +3
Lat pullover x8 +4 +3
Iso Row x10 +6 +4

40 hanging knee raises
Myo crunch x15

Was a bit pressed for time today needing to get into work so I skipped the cardio today, will do it tomorrow.

Added weight on all exercises, including 20lbs on the rows and those still felt light.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cardio and core work today.

Back extension 2x15
Myo crunch x20
Hanging knee raise x30
Cat vomit x10
Plank 60 seconds
45 minutes elliptical hr 115ish
15 minutes sauna

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout B today.

Cable curl x5 +1
Wrist curls x7 +4 +2
Calf raise in leg press x10
High foot leg press x13
Smith lunges x6 x20

20 minutes elliptical

Struggled on the curls but progressed on everything else and hit the targets. Those weighted lunges are a killer.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Workout A today.

Smith incline x6 +4 +2
SmithOH x8 +3 +3
Smith close grip bench x4 +2 +0
Assisted pull-up x5 +2 +0
Machine row x7 +4 +2

40 hanging knee raises
60 second plank
25 minutes elliptical

Progress is starting to slow on these exercises. Pull-ups and pressing movements have always been a struggle, time to grind my way through. Guessing I’m a couple weeks away from a deload, but we’ll see.