Guest viewing limit reached
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Journey of a newbie lifter

Calebd91

Member
Little intro and then I’ll do my best at making a real log. I was motivated to start this journey after transitioning from chasing shutdowns an working on the road in refinery’s an chemical plants for the last 10 years into a stable plant operations role an home every day/night. Years of beating up my body and fueling it with caffeine and whatever junk was quick and easy left me feeling pretty rough an I knew I needed to make a change. 8 months into my new career I had taken advantage of the slower pace an less active lifestyle a little to long and let myself get to the heaviest I had ever been.

I’m 35 years old male, 5’ 11”.
March 1st I was 213lbs and started a cleaner diet an putting lots of steps in. By may 1st I was down to 196 and had a little motivation going. I did a 8 week run of a small dose of tirz to help get my eating habits an proportions more manageable, it really helped pave the way to my macro tracking an put into perspective how fast calories add up. That put me at 160lbs on July 16th.

Now that I had dropped a lot of the excess body fat an was feeling a lot better, I started venturing into wanting to pack on some muscle even tho I’ve never worked out other then in high school. I joined a lot of facebook groups an was kind of overwhelmed with routines and diets an supplements and judgment, so I found this forum after searching around an have been a lurker an kind of put together a routine, some simple supplements and have made some progress so I’d like to document it here an get some feedback and I feel like some honest non judgmental support.

Sorry for the long intro! Second post will be the details and start of the log.
Thanks!
 
Start of my actual workout log!

I actually “started” on Aug 3rd initially with a full body dumbbell only routine found on the Hevy app that I use to track workouts. I ran that 2-3 days a week for that month an then shifted to what I think is a little bit more refined schedule an routine.

Upper A
Bent over rows
4 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Crossbody hammer curls
3 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Shrugs
3 sets
20lb 14 reps

Rear delt reverse fly
3 sets
15lb 10-12 reps

Upper B

Floor press
4 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Shoulder press
3 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Lateral raise
3 sets
15lb 12-14 reps

Tricep extensions
3 sets
20lb 10-12 reps

I run it Monday/Wed/Fri alternating between A&B each day. So Monday A, Wed B, Fri A, Mon B, etc so forth. I have already progressed up from starting all sets at 15lb an only 8-10 reps, so I think I’m working the progressive overload correct.

Also here is the supplements/vitamins I currently take.

Day
1 a day men’s multi
100mg Tongkat Ali
10,000 IU vitamin D
20mcg vitamin K
2500mg Omega-3 (1200EPA/850DHA)
5mg creatine monohydrate

Night
600mg Ashwaganda
5mg Boron
210mg Magnesium Glycinate
10mg melatonin

I am using a macro tracker and trying to lock in more on my diet, but I still work swing shifts (days 3am-3pm, nights 3pm-3am alternating 2-2-3 schedule) and having a 3 month old and wife who works full time it’s difficult at times to coordinate meals, I know I’m giving up some gains there, but I’m not chasing elite physique an know what’s realistic an what’s unobtainable for me.
I’m averaging 130-180g protein, 120-190g carbs, and trying to stay under 60-70g fat. Usually end up in the 1900-2200 cal range.
Witch seems to almost be my maintance range, I’m going to try and shoot for 2600-2800 for a few weeks with focus on more protein and see how that does.

Also I am looking at adding in some anabolic effect or XT after I dwindle down some of the vitamin/supplements I have on hand as I think I’d be double dosing some of the ingredients. I’m also open for suggestions on others to try, not looking at throwing a tons of money at it just yet as I’m also equipment limited to only adjustable plate style dumbbells right now to. I have access to a gym at work that once I get little more comfortable I may look into. I’m just trying to build a solid foundation an form first.

Thanks and I’m open for criticism and suggestions! I’ll be updating with progress at least at end of each week.

Not sure if I can add photos yet, but I’ll try if interested in progress pics as well.
 
Last edited:
I've got some constructive criticism, but first I wanted to say good job on losing over 50 pounds!.

I wanted to say that you want to make smaller jumps in calories, don't go from 1900-2000 straight to 2600-2800, that's going to cause fat gain, especially because your not doing much in the gym. Start around 2400 and work your way up over time. If your staying lean and gaining about 1-1.5lb per week your doing amazing. For the gym, You're getting like two exercises per body part per week, that's not enough stimulus to grow any muscle, I mean maybe it would be if you've never done anything at all and you're in your first month of lifting but even then this is significantly less volume than I would give a new lifter, especially when they're not training legs. Not training legs means you have a lot of extra ability for recovery. Half your body isn't getting worked.

I would say make a effort to get 12-15 working sets per body part per week, working up to 20 sets over the course of a couple months,that doesn't include warm up sets. I'd also train legs, even if it's only one leg exercise per workout that's still going to significantly increase your workload and prevent you from looking crazy five years down the road with a jacked upper body and some toothpick legs. Building big legs isn't super easy in the first place so it's not like you're going to accidentally develop some monstrous Wheels. I have a upper body dominant physique myself, but legs are still bigger then the average Joe and highly functional. I don't know how old you are but the older you get the more important that lower body strength is going to be. But even one leg exercise per workout three times a week will at least give you some functional lower body strength and some stability and mobility in your knees and ankles, help with your posture and even help keep you leaner as you grow.
 
Last edited:
I've got some constructive criticism, but first I wanted to say good job on losing over 50 pounds!.

I wanted to say that you want to make smaller jumps in calories, don't go from 1900-2000 straight to 2600-2800, that's going to cause fat gain, especially because your not doing much in the gym. Start around 2400 and work your way up over time. If your staying lean and gaining about 1-1.5lb per week your doing amazing. For the gym, You're getting like two exercises per body part per week, that's not enough stimulus to grow any muscle, I mean maybe it would be if you've never done anything at all and you're in your first month of lifting but even then this is significantly less volume than I would give a new lifter, especially when they're not training legs. Not training legs means you have a lot of extra ability for recovery. Half your body isn't getting worked.

I would say make a effort to get 12-15 working sets per body part per week, working up to 20 sets over the course of a couple months,that doesn't include warm up sets. I'd also train legs, even if it's only one leg exercise per workout that's still going to significantly increase your workload and prevent you from looking crazy five years down the road with a jacked upper body and some toothpick legs. Building big legs isn't super easy in the first place so it's not like you're going to accidentally develop some monstrous Wheels. I have a upper body dominant physique myself, but legs are still bigger then the average Joe and highly functional. I don't know how old you are but the older you get the more important that lower body strength is going to be. But even one leg exercise per workout three times a week will at least give you some functional lower body strength and some stability and mobility in your knees and ankles, help with your posture and even help keep you leaner as you grow.

Thank you for the advice, I will not make that big of a calorie jump. I wasn’t real sure how big of a jump was needed to see a change.
So small adjustment there! Got it.

As far as my exercise routine what do you think about this change?

Upper A
Bent over rows
4 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Floor press
3 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Crossbody hammer curls
3 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Shrugs
3 sets
20lb 14 reps

Rear delt reverse fly
3 sets
15lb 10-12 reps

Tricep extensions
2 sets
20lb 10-12 reps

Upper B

Floor press
4 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Bent over rows
3 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Shoulder press
3 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Lateral raise
3 sets
15lb 12-14 reps

Tricep extensions
3 sets
20lb 10-12 reps

Hammer curls
2 sets
20lb 12-14 reps

Legs

Goblet squats
3x10-12

Romanian deadlifts
3x10-12

Reverse lunges
3x10-12

Standing calve raises
3x10-12

I could do legs on my rest days of Tuesday/thursday/ sat or Sunday or should I incorporate it on same days as the upper workouts?

I plan on getting a small bench to add to my home workout area so that can open up some different exercise options as well to add into my routines to get more working sets in.

Thank you for the input, it is much appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Woke up little early today before going in for night shift, had some rice cakes for quick pre workout snack and did some warm up, wasn’t feeling a whole lot of motivation but wanted to push some so I upped my weight to start the week off…..here’s how it went.

9/21/26
Bent over rows
Went up 5lb to 25
3 sets 12, last set 14 reps

Floor press
Went up 5 to 25lb
2 sets 12, last set 14

Crossbody hammer curls
Went up 5 to 25lb
1st set 8 reps
Last 2 sets 10 reps

Rear delt reverse fly
Up 5 to 20lb
1st set 10rep
Last 2 sets 12rep

Shrugs
Up 5 to 25lb
3x14

Tricep extensions
Up 5 to 25lb
2 sets of 12

I feel like I did decent with the added weight, only started to lose my form at the end of last set of my cross hammer curls and rear delt reverse flys, I also needed slightly longer rest times between sets but think that’s normal, also felt more of a pump at the end.

Think I’m going to shoot for a leg day Thursday since I’ll be off work.

Still open for suggestions! Thanks
 
Love to read that you’ve began lifting! It can be a slog sometimes, but it’s empowering, builds confidence & strength, and is a great way to get exercise in.

My sincere advice is to go to the gym sometimes. Doesn’t have to be for every workout, but just make a deal with yourself to go in there once a week. Explore the machines, read how they are to be used, watch other people who seem like they might know what they’re doing. You might even ask them some questions about how to do a particular movement. You have to realize EVERY single person in the gym who appears to have an idea what they are doing began just like you: they were clueless beginners at one point. They haven’t forgotten that, and many people will be happy to answer a question or share a tip. Especially the biggest guys, because they had to learn so much to get where they are, so they value the sharing of that knowledge more than most. They are usually way more friendly than they might appear.
 
Either way on the legs . As your weight /intensity increases you may want to move them to their own day twice a week but for now adding them on to any two days would be fine.

As Hyde said consider going to the gym. You will learn a lot watching other people between sets. You will learn of exercises you had no idea about.

Consider getting a rack and an Olympic bar at home . New budget racks can be had for $400. You can buy an Olympic bar for less than $100 off of Amazon which will work fine as a beginner . 1 set of 45 lb plates, some 25s , 10s, and 5s. A landmine attachment , an adjustable bench, some band pegs and bands. Basically $700 new or less (potentially even almost free if you find someone just wanting to get rid of it).

That would open up a lot in addition to the dumbbell stuff you are already doing

Barbell bench, incline bench, dumbbell chest flies, bench dips, landmine press, OHP

Barbell row, landmine row, band assisted chins

Squats, deads

Eventually about a million rack mounted attachments could be added

Then the rabbit hole only goes further from there BUT you don’t even know what you don’t know yet which is why some time in the gym will get your wheels turning about what you can do at home .
 
Last edited:
Thank yall for the words of encouragement, I will certainly look at maybe going to the gym at least a few times a month as schedule allows. I’m sure it would do me some good!

Got a decent bit of time today to workout so threw some leg work in:
9/23/26
Reverse lunges
25lb
2x8

Romanian deadlift
25lb
3x10

Goblet squat
25lb
3x10

Floor press
25lb
3x12
1x14

Bent over row
25lb
2x12
1x14

Shoulder press
25lb
2x10
1x12

Lateral raise
20lb
2x10
1x12

Triceps extension
25lb
3x12

Crossbody hammers
25lb
2x10

Actually I may drop back to 15lbs on the lateral raises next go around, I started to lose my form an control on the end of second set an I pushed for 2 extra reps on the last set an probably was more then I should have. Everything else I felt pretty solid with!
Took a progress pic and doing comparison it’s hard to tell but I’m pretty sure I’m seeing some slight results so that’s motivating!
 
Last few days rundown….
Upper A
Friday, Sep 25, 2026

Bent Over Row (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12
Set 2: 25 lbs x 12
Set 3: 25 lbs x 12
Set 4: 25 lbs x 14

Floor Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12
Set 2: 25 lbs x 12
Set 3: 25 lbs x 14

Hammer Curl (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 10
Set 2: 25 lbs x 10
Set 3: 25 lbs x 10

Rear Delt Reverse Fly (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 20 lbs x 10
Set 2: 20 lbs x 10
Set 3: 20 lbs x 12

Shrug (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 14
Set 2: 25 lbs x 14
Set 3: 25 lbs x 14

Triceps Extension (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12
Set 2: 25 lbs x 12


Upper B
Monday, Sep 28, 2026

Floor Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 14
Set 2: 25 lbs x 14
Set 3: 25 lbs x 14
Set 4: 25 lbs x 14

Bent Over Row (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 14
Set 2: 25 lbs x 14
Set 3: 25 lbs x 14

Shoulder Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12
Set 2: 25 lbs x 12
Set 3: 25 lbs x 12

Lateral Raise (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 20 lbs x 10
Set 2: 15 lbs x 10

Triceps Extension (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12
Set 2: 25 lbs x 12
Set 3: 25 lbs x 12

Hammer Curl (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 10
Set 2: 25 lbs x 10

Legs
Tuesday, Sep 29, 2026

Reverse Lunge (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 10
Set 2: 25 lbs x 10

Romanian Deadlift (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12
Set 2: 25 lbs x 12
Set 3: 25 lbs x 12

Goblet Squat
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12
Set 2: 25 lbs x 12
Set 3: 25 lbs x 12


My strength is increasing and I’m getting more comfortable in form with everything. Only thing was today on my lateral raises my first set I got almost a stiff joint feeling in my shoulder so I dropped down to 15lb and it was still pretty harsh so I called it off for a 3rd set an will monitor that.
Also I jumped on the scale when I woke up and was down to 155.9lb. It could just have been loss of water weight, but I’ve noticed the last few weigh ins have been low. I think I need to up my calories some more, or it could still be some fat dropping off.
 
Following along, great job on cutting the weight off!

On the lat raise honestly could drop to a 10# and up the reps.
 
Following along, great job on cutting the weight off!

On the lat raise honestly could drop to a 10# and up the reps.
Think that’s what I’m going to do tomorrow, I got a few new 10# plates that have the handles built in that I’ll try out, I’ll get the foundation an form back an go from there.
 
March 9th
IMG_7480.webp

Sept 16th
IMG_8234.webp


Not sure if images will work, but just wanted to post my last “progress” picture. I’m keeping a folder of them each month to see progression. In the mirror I don’t see it, but my wife says she’s already noticed my shoulders and arms looking bigger. So that’s always nice and motivating to hear!
 
Last edited:
Woke up extra early this morning before getting ready for work tonight.
Got a nice pre workout snack in:
V8 energy peach mango drink, 15g of mini rice cakes, 1 1/2tbsp peanut butter.
245kcal, 29g carb, 5g protein, 14g fat

Then I really was deliberate an focused on my workout. Bump rest time up between sets to 2-3 min, also I got some new weight plates in so I was able to bump up my weight and PR’d every movement either with weight or rep count.


Upper A
Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 11:47am

Bent Over Row (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 14
Set 2: 25 lbs x 14
Set 3: 25 lbs x 18
Set 4: 30 lbs x 16

Floor Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 30 lbs x 12
Set 2: 30 lbs x 12
Set 3: 30 lbs x 14

Hammer Curl (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12
Set 2: 25 lbs x 10
Set 3: 25 lbs x 12

Rear Delt Reverse Fly (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 20 lbs x 12
Set 2: 20 lbs x 12
Set 3: 20 lbs x 14

Shrug (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 14
Set 2: 25 lbs x 14
Set 3: 25 lbs x 18

Triceps Extension (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 14
Set 2: 25 lbs x 14

Following that up with my “lunch” meal of 450g of blackened chicken, 1 1/3 cup of mashed potatoes
1005ish kcal, 61g carb, 19g fat, 109g protein.



Edit: added the rest of my days macros

Snacks: 2 medium hard boiled eggs, smores protein shake.
266kcal, 3g carbs, 12g fat, 36g protein

Dinner: 6oz grilled porkchop, 3oz yellow rice, 3oz roasted broccoli
645kcal, 51g carbs, 24g fat, 55g protein.

Days total: 2163kcal, 144g carbs, 68g fat, 205g protein
 
Last edited:
you're doing this all at home with the db's you have available to you? if thats the case, you could throw in db cleans, db thrusters, db push press, db snatch. If you want to get crossfitty with it, do like 3 rounds for time of:

21 x db thrusters
400m run

or

21 db thrusters
50 double unders

etc etc.
 
you're doing this all at home with the db's you have available to you? if thats the case, you could throw in db cleans, db thrusters, db push press, db snatch. If you want to get crossfitty with it, do like 3 rounds for time of:

21 x db thrusters
400m run

or

21 db thrusters
50 double unders

etc etc.
Yes just at home currently with dumbbell only. I may look at adding something like that after a few more weeks of establishment.
 
View attachment 263444

Not sure if images will work, but just wanted to post my last “progress” picture. I’m keeping a folder of them each month to see progression. In the mirror I don’t see it, but my wife says she’s already noticed my shoulders and arms looking bigger. So that’s always nice and motivating to hear!
Image works. Looks like you are starting out really good hard to judge from not seeing the before picture. Just keep at it and will be inspiring to look back at your before photos!

I was going to add if you look on Facebook marketplace sometimes you can score a weight bench and a barbell for good prices that would add nicely to the db’s
 
Keep at it. No doubt you are making progress and you should be proud of that . Get your calories and protein in and you will grow

  • on your lateral raises drop to 10s. I do 20s and they are almost too heavy for me to get good reps in. I’m by no means a beast but I’m going to just generalize and say should probably be able to dumbbell shoulder press 70+ each hand if you can do 20s well.
  • is your form good on the kickbacks and hammer curls. These seem heavy too. Around what I do , although always at the end of my workout when I’m very fatigued

Seriously should look at getting a bar, rack and some plate, and a cheap bench. Will add so many more strength and mass building exercises and is a great return on investment as far as gains . Really not that bad on Amazon and the quality is fine unless you are squatting or deadlifting 500 or slamming the bar down with 200+ on cleans , etc
 
Edited a before picture in post…

Yes I’m going to drop to 10# on the lat raises an up the reps to keep form and control.

I’ve got a lead on a bench an bar setup for cheap or free I’m going to check out this coming weekend when I’m off work.

Friday when I do shoulder press again I’m going to up the weight now I have the extra plates an see where I land.

Thanks to everyone for the input an encouragement. Makes my motivation stay high!
 
Edited a before picture in post…

Yes I’m going to drop to 10# on the lat raises an up the reps to keep form and control.

I’ve got a lead on a bench an bar setup for cheap or free I’m going to check out this coming weekend when I’m off work.

Friday when I do shoulder press again I’m going to up the weight now I have the extra plates an see where I land.

Thanks to everyone for the input an encouragement. Makes my motivation stay high!
Oh yeah huge progress there bud! Keep at it and for sure if you can swing it get the bench and yeah you will be having a great setup.
 
Add another set of lunges; your leg volume is lagging compared to upper body and legs respond so well to reps. Another 10 reps in your situation will be a useful challenge!

You have made some great cut progress btw.
 
Add another set of lunges; your leg volume is lagging compared to upper body and legs respond so well to reps. Another 10 reps in your situation will be a useful challenge!

You have made some great cut progress btw.
Thank you!
I’ll definitely dial up my leg routine some more!

Side note…I got a bottle of anabolic xt to try out
 
Was a rough night at work, coming up after a plant wide shutdown an had lots of issues….
Logged over 13k steps, 45 floors climbed, an about 6.5 miles total. Got as much eating in as I could an came up with:
1821kcal, 126g carb, 62g fat, 197g protein.

Was feeling it this morning, got home about 4:15am. Slept as good as I could but got up about 10am an wanted to get my workout in because I’d like to spend some good time with the wife an my boy since this the first full weekend I’ve had off in awhile.

Anyways I also started on a bottle of SNS anabolic XT yesterday, 6x split in 2 doses. Took my regular supps plus 3 caps this morning before workout. I also upped my weight to really see if I’m holding myself back, and dropped down to the 10s for lat raises and really locked in on form. Felt amazing pump today, but was little low on energy and motivation, blame that purely on a not good night before.
I may try for a leg day tomorrow evening or Sunday morning.

Upper B
Friday, Oct 02, 2026 at 11:00am

Floor Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 35 lbs x 12
Set 2: 35 lbs x 12
Set 3: 35 lbs x 12
Set 4: 35 lbs x 12

Bent Over Row (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 35 lbs x 12
Set 2: 35 lbs x 12
Set 3: 35 lbs x 12

Shoulder Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 35 lbs x 8
Set 2: 35 lbs x 8
Set 3: 35 lbs x 8

Lateral Raise (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 10 lbs x 15
Set 2: 10 lbs x 15
Set 3: 10 lbs x 15

Triceps Extension (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 30 lbs x 10
Set 2: 30 lbs x 12
Set 3: 30 lbs x 12

Hammer Curl (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 14
Set 2: 25 lbs x 10
 
Nothing major since last update, just trying to stay steady on meeting my macro/kcal goals and staying dedicated to my routine. I wasn’t able to get an actual leg session in. But Tuesday at work I put in a solid 5.5 miles of steps and majority was up and down stairs out in the plant itself.
Only thing is I’ve noticed is my digestive system has slowed down I guess from the excess protein that I’ve been consuming. Ordered some digestive enzymes to maybe get things more “regular”. I’ve had a constant bloat, gas type pressure for last 4-5 days.

Also today on my shoulder press set I got some irritation in my left shoulder an I cut my weight back but it was pretty persistent an I didn’t go as hard for rest of the movements as well. I’ll keep monitor on it.

Also not much noticed from adding in the anabolic XT but it’s still early, general masses say it takes few weeks to really kick. Looking forward to results from it.
And I’m not going to lie….ive read hours on hours of threads on here and I’m considering getting some bloods done and seeing about optimizing my test on a small “cycle”. But also may just save that for once I’m past the newbie gains period. But gathering lots of research now on adding in something anabolic such as test c or a light sarm cycle.

Upper A
Monday, Oct 05, 2026 at 3:58pm

Bent Over Row (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 35 lbs x 12
Set 2: 35 lbs x 12
Set 3: 35 lbs x 14
Set 4: 35 lbs x 14

Floor Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 35 lbs x 12
Set 2: 35 lbs x 12
Set 3: 35 lbs x 12

Hammer Curl (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 25 lbs x 12
Set 2: 25 lbs x 12
Set 3: 25 lbs x 12

Rear Delt Reverse Fly (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 20 lbs x 12
Set 2: 20 lbs x 12
Set 3: 20 lbs x 12

Shrug (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 30 lbs x 14
Set 2: 35 lbs x 14
Set 3: 35 lbs x 14

Triceps Extension (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 35 lbs x 10
Set 2: 30 lbs x 10


Upper B
Wednesday, Oct 07, 2026 at 11:55am

Floor Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 35 lbs x 12
Set 2: 35 lbs x 12
Set 3: 35 lbs x 12
Set 4: 35 lbs x 12

Bent Over Row (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 35 lbs x 12
Set 2: 35 lbs x 12
Set 3: 35 lbs x 16

Shoulder Press (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 35 lbs x 8
Set 2: 30 lbs x 10
Set 3: 30 lbs x 8

Lateral Raise (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 10 lbs x 15
Set 2: 10 lbs x 15
Set 3: 10 lbs x 15

Triceps Extension (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 30 lbs x 12
Set 2: 30 lbs x 12
Set 3: 30 lbs x 12

Hammer Curl (Dumbbell)
Set 1: 27.5 lbs x 12
Set 2: 27.5 lbs x 12
 
Ordered some digestive enzymes to maybe get things more “regular”. I’ve had a constant bloat, gas type pressure for last 4-5 days.
I have a salad every single day for lunch for the greens and fiber and my wife and I prioritize veggies/fiber every night at dinner. are you getting a lot of fiber? eating a ton of chicken is one thing, but fiber is like the leading contributor to a decrease in all case mortality and keeps you regular.

Also not much noticed from adding in the anabolic XT but it’s still early, general masses say it takes few weeks to really kick

Its usually week 3-4 for most people. What they notice is that workouts seem to have more intensity and you don't reach fatigue as fast. you find that you want your workout to go a little longer, a little harder.

And I’m not going to lie….ive read hours on hours of threads on here and I’m considering getting some bloods done and seeing about optimizing my test on a small “cycle”.

if I were you I wouldn't even think about it for at least a year or two. IMO its a waste in every way until you know what your body is capable of natural.
 
Say no to the temptation of any extra androgens right now. It’s worth getting blood work done and knowing what your test levels are, but if you’ve been sedentary with poor sleep, habits and a lot of work demands your levels might be 300-400 but might have the abilities to come up to 700+ with the appropriate amount of weight training , proper nutrition, proper sleep.

Many new lifters have the ability to put on 20 to 40 pounds of muscle over the first two years with proper training and nutrition. Androgens won’t put any lasting muscle on you without the proper training and nutrition.

Let’s say best case scenario someone put on 10 pounds of keepable muscle from a cycle …. That usually is pretty extraordinary and if it’s gonna happen, it’s more likely gonna have it on the first cycle when your antigen receptors are naïve. You don’t want to waste those results when you have the power to do it without because you won’t necessarily get any extra out of it until you’ve hit a true natural plateau which for most people is north of 190-200 lbs .
 
I have a salad every single day for lunch for the greens and fiber and my wife and I prioritize veggies/fiber every night at dinner. are you getting a lot of fiber? eating a ton of chicken is one thing, but fiber is like the leading contributor to a decrease in all case mortality and keeps you regular.



Its usually week 3-4 for most people. What they notice is that workouts seem to have more intensity and you don't reach fatigue as fast. you find that you want your workout to go a little longer, a little harder.



if I were you I wouldn't even think about it for at least a year or two. IMO its a waste in every way until you know what your body is capable of natural.
I have a veggie most everyday during a lunch or dinner, usually zucchini/squash, broccoli, green beans, asparagus is the go to’s. I’m sure I can up it some more to add in extra fiber for the week.

Say no to the temptation of any extra androgens right now. It’s worth getting blood work done and knowing what your test levels are, but if you’ve been sedentary with poor sleep, habits and a lot of work demands your levels might be 300-400 but might have the abilities to come up to 700+ with the appropriate amount of weight training , proper nutrition, proper sleep.

Many new lifters have the ability to put on 20 to 40 pounds of muscle over the first two years with proper training and nutrition. Androgens won’t put any lasting muscle on you without the proper training and nutrition.

Let’s say best case scenario someone put on 10 pounds of keepable muscle from a cycle …. That usually is pretty extraordinary and if it’s gonna happen, it’s more likely gonna have it on the first cycle when your antigen receptors are naïve. You don’t want to waste those results when you have the power to do it without because you won’t necessarily get any extra out of it until you’ve hit a true natural plateau which for most people is north of 190-200 lbs .

I pretty much knew this is the way, I think I overhyped myself on reading so much. I have a tendency to deep dive and go 0-100 on things. So the initial attraction to try something out was peak. I’m no where close to maximizing natural ability, and I know that.
Oh well, more push for the gains! I hope to be pushing 170-175# by end of the year. I was 157.4 at this mornings weigh in. Scale is hovering within +/- 3 pounds of 155 but I see small signs of my composition changing. I guess that is still forward progress??
 
If you are taking hormones and you haven’t been squatting hard with a barbell for at least a couple years, you are absolutely cheating yourself!

Look up Greyskull Linear Periodization. Read Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik (pdf can be found immediately free on Google). Watch some videos from Alexander Bromley on YouTube (his free Bull Mastiff program is excellent, but you don’t even have any barbell experience to warrant the need for that!). Seriously, just Greyskull LP for 3-6 months will get you comparably jacked if you’re serious about results.

I trained for 2 years to gain maybe 5lbs of muscle doing gym machines and some bro bench press with no real plan. Then I finally read about & did barbell squats and deadlifts, doing hard sets of 5 on the big compounds and full body training 3x/wk, and eating appropriately for that. I gained another 25lbs in 6 months, more than half of that muscle. My strength & size exploded.

What you are doing is great for exercising and some basic gains. But if you want to get noticeably more muscular, you need to get proficient in the high reward fundamentals. All you need is a cheap pair of squat stands and a used barbell & weights. Then you can squat, Frontsquat, good morning, RDL, lunge, row, curl, skull crush, clean & press as much as you are ready for all in one little area. If you get a stall mat on some concrete, now you can deadlift & powersnatch even. If the stands adjust low enough and you add a bench, you can do that too. Or just hit those at work gym if desired.
 
Back
Top