Joint pain help

kangas87

Awards
I’ve only just gotten into this fitness world and I’m getting knee pain!! At first my squat form was less than perfect, as my heels rose and I pushed through my toes. but I’ve since corrected this and I still get knee pain. Should I quit training legs altogether? I don’t want to, but I really really don’t want fucked up knees by the time I’m 25. If I have any pain during the exercises it’s pretty mild. It’s usually afterwards during normal activities that I notice them aching and hurting in all kinds of ways. help??

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What are your stats? Height, weight, BF%?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pop some NSAIDS and skip legs for 2 weeks.
After that, skip regular squats for awhile and do leg exercises like: smith squats, placing feet a bit forward so that knees do not go over your feet when squatting. Same for linear leg press, place feet higher than normal, toes sticking over the outer rim, this way knees go not over feet. All that takes tension out of knees. Instead of going heavy, put moderate weights on and move slower, like 3 sec up, 3 sec down.
To build legs, no heavy weight is required, no matter what others say. Manipulate timing instead.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
While resting knees, do some light bicycle daily, that keeps joints lubricated.

kangas87

Awards
Pop some NSAIDS and skip legs for 2 weeks.
After that, skip regular squats for awhile and do leg exercises like: smith squats, placing feet a bit forward so that knees do not go over your feet when squatting. Same for linear leg press, place feet higher than normal, toes sticking over the outer rim, this way knees go not over feet. All that takes tension out of knees. Instead of going heavy, put moderate weights on and move slower, like 3 sec up, 3 sec down.
To build legs, no heavy weight is required, no matter what others say. Manipulate timing instead.
Thanks for the advice. I’m having similar issues with my lower back. After trying to get as low as possible for bent over rows as I felt like it was cheating to be higher, it has been hurting every time I put load on it since... would you recommend a similar procedure?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the advice. I’m having similar issues with my lower back. After trying to get as low as possible for bent over rows as I felt like it was cheating to be higher, it has been hurting every time I put load on it since... would you recommend a similar procedure?
**** bent over rows. Use support, like doing them on a incline bench or seated with chest stop. Anything that causes pain, do either with less weight -and slower / or switch exercises. Believe me, I'm hardly doing any of the so called rudimentary body building exercises and still grow.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve only just gotten into this fitness world and I’m getting knee pain!! At first my squat form was less than perfect, as my heels rose and I pushed through my toes. but I’ve since corrected this and I still get knee pain. Should I quit training legs altogether? I don’t want to, but I really really don’t want fucked up knees by the time I’m 25. If I have any pain during the exercises it’s pretty mild. It’s usually afterwards during normal activities that I notice them aching and hurting in all kinds of ways. help??
If it hurts dont do it. Try another exercise, leg extensions, eg press and hacks have worked best for me. That said I have long femures. Guys with long femures these exercises work best for. V squat machine, cable squats, even the smith squat.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If your having knee pains, a few things may help...

Ride the bike with minimal resistance for 10-15 mins as a warm up.

Wear neoprene knee sleeves through your session. Pretty cheap on amazon. Don’t have to be super tight just snug. They keep your knees warm through the session. If you use knee wraps then wrap over the sleeves.

Take proper supplementation for joint health.
Omega 3s, type 2 collagen, glucosamine, Chondroitin, msm etc

Hydration - make sure you drink enough fluids each day

If doing a compound leg movement (squats, leg press) do your hamstring isolation first. I like seated or lying leg press, 4 sets of 8-12. This is something I always do as per John meadows and it has taken an immense amount of tension off my knees when I do any type of squat or leg press variation.

As far as for bent over rows, HGP is right, you shouldn’t do them if they hurt. The only thing that should hurt is the actual muscle, no joints, tendons or ligaments. Either chest supported rows, bent over rows when your bracing yourself, or even Yates Rows in the smith machine. Cable rows and hammer strength back machines are also excellent. Classic movements are great, but your muscle cannot tell the difference what type of method your using.