Jim Rice Makes MLB Hall of Fame

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
I'm obviously no Red Sox fan but It's about damn time.

:bruce3:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was nice to see Jim Rice make it in. He's very deserving of the honor. It's always nice to see a Red Sox player enter the hallowed hall. :D

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
I didnt think he deserved it. But its good to see him get in after all those years. So I guess Im happy for the guy.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I didn't think he deserved it. But its good to see him get in after all those years. So I guess Im happy for the guy.
come on man!

one of only 30 players with 350-plus homers and a .290-plus batting average

His Seasonal Averages in Total Bases and RBIs Per Season Are Among the Top 20 Players All-time

Rice led the American League with 382 homers and 1,451 RBI during his 16-year career.

1975-1987: led the league in a number of offensive categories during this time. Runs, RBI, Hits, SLG, Total Bases

one MVP award; five top-five MVP finishes

the only player in history with three consecutive seasons of 35-plus homers and 200-plus hits.

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
What's your rationale exactly as to why he isn't deserving?
Haha, well...

1) The color of his sox.

2) Im a bitter Braves fan that thinks Murph is just as deserving and didnt get close. (if not more deserving based on my team bias...)

3) He was a little too close to the early steroid era, and I wouldnt vote for anyone thats is related to that time, even by distant associations.

4) 3) is obviously not serious.

But my main thought is that there has to be a cut off at some point for induction. Its obvious that he was at the lower end of the spectrum according to the voters over the last 15 years, and I would much rather have the cut off be too high than too low. (The Murph the exemption. lol.)

Fastone

Fastone

Awards
  • Established
Haha, well...

1) The color of his sox.

2) Im a bitter Braves fan that thinks Murph is just as deserving and didnt get close. (if not more deserving based on my team bias...)

3) He was a little too close to the early steroid era, and I wouldnt vote for anyone thats is related to that time, even by distant associations.

4) 3) is obviously not serious.

But my main thought is that there has to be a cut off at some point for induction. Its obvious that he was at the lower end of the spectrum according to the voters over the last 15 years, and I would much rather have the cut off be too high than too low. (The Murph the exemption. lol.)

You know what's funny, no one talks about the steroid era in football and that was much longer and much more profound than anything that happened in baseball. IMO, most of the steroid discussion in baseball is phony and self serving. The media has put a bunch of crap in people's heads, where were these so called "Hard Hitting" journalist when it was all going down in front of their faces,.

I had the opportunity to see Jim Rice play throughout his career, he is well deserving.

:bruce3:

Maverick60

Awards
  • Established
I completely agree. The hype surrounding roids in baseball is garbage. Players have been cheating any way they can since the 1800's. What about spitballers that are in the hall? What about sign stealing from the bleachers? Thats all an advantage. The media just hated Barry Bonds and took everyone else down with him since they had to. lol. No one said anything when Mac broke the record, but once Barry does it, "OH NO YOU DIDNT, ROID MONKEY!!!" And how Sosa has gotten a free pass is beyond fathomable. Its just a media game.