Jim Logs BPS' Brawn (Laxogenin)

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, BPS and lukehayd offered me a chance to log the new laxogenin product that they recently released. The product is called Brawn and is 100mg of laxogenin per cap (recommended 1-2 caps a day).

I've not used a laxogenin supplement before, and I actually have not used much of anything in quite some time. The only supplements I have used recently are preworkouts and protein powders. If you read this write-up (posted below), you will know everything that I know about laxogenin supplementation.

BPS Brawn write-up available here: https://bpsnutrition.net/collections/supplements/products/brawn

As I have not used anything like this before; I am not sure what I should expect. So, with that in mind, I will be grading this based entirely upon the claims made in the write-up. I am a powerlifter/strongman who is currently training with some basic bodybuilding techniques to build muscle. At this moment, I am cutting some fat before retooling to build some muscle. This product should help with both of those aims.

I have recently teamed with Paul Carter for a recomp project that he is running for the next 10 weeks; because of this, I cannot comment on what the training will be at this time. As I receive my instructions from him, I can update this log with them. What I do know, however, is that I will be training 7 days a week and frequently 2x a day towards the end of the project.

So, with that in mind, we should be getting this underway tomorrow (or Monday).

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
5'10"

~178#

Fat.

Guess the newer versions of the app won't let me attach pictures. Oh well, I'll just add them in at the end.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Update: July 1st

I'm going to go ahead and update this with my final review. It is a little later than I wanted it to be with my trip to Michigan and all of the other craziness with gym setup and whatnot.

I'll be grading this out of 5 in a couple of categories. These categories are: strength, muscular endurance, muscle growth, and overall.

First and foremost:

Stats (starting/ending):

Height: 5'10" / 5'10" (well ****, didn't make me grow any taller)
Weight: 178lbs / 168lbs
Bodyfat: Fat / Less Fat

My wife literally just broke my phone, so hopefully I will be able to update this with starting and ending pictures after I get a new one. If I can, they will likely be on the last page.

Strength: So throughout this log I was actively cutting weight. I lost ~10lbs throughout this 7 weeks or so. I was pleasantly surprised to see my numbers consistently increasing though, even with the calorie deficit and weight loss. During this log, at the lightest weight I have been since I got out of the Army in 2013, I pressed 100# dumbbells for a set of 5. Previously, I had not ever used those for anything but rows. It is also worth mentioning that I started the log pressing the 85s for 6. That is a significant improvement. After moving back into powerlifting training towards the very end of the log, I hit a 180kg (396lb) squat to start my meet prep. That is a tie for the heaviest I have ever squatted in my gym. Last I did that weight was at the end of a meet prep that led to a 202.5kg (446#) squat in that meet at a bodyweight in the 183# range. That is a significant boost, especially considering I had not been squatting heavy for the 6 weeks leading into the start of this meet prep.

Strength Rating: 4.5/5

Muscular Endurance: For me, this is a little tougher to quantify. All I can say for sure is that towards the end of some very high volume training sessions, I was still able to consistently increase my weights for the prescribed rep ranges. Part of that is probably due to just having a higher limit strength which allowed for the heavier weight on those exercises to stay around the same percentage, but still it didn't "feel" like I was wearing down as the training sessions progressed.

Endurance Rating: 4/5

Growth: Well, I was cutting during this log, so I don't expect there was an incredible amount of new muscle growth involved. The strength gains would lead me to believe that I was preserving at least some amount of muscle during the cut, but I am not foolish enough to believe it is likely that I was actually gaining much if any. No fault of the product with this. I can only say here that I believe this product could be beneficial for someone who is actively bulking because the strength increases should help spur more muscle growth in a high calorie environment.

Growth Rating: N/A

Overall: I believe that this product did exactly what the reps said it would do. I used 1 cap everyday for approximately 7 weeks and saw pretty consistent strength increases on most exercises. It is even more impressive to me that this was done while in a calorie deficit. I ate very, very few carbs (not keto though) and ate quite a lot of protein with minimal fat throughout the duration of this log. Typically, I would expect my strength to plummet under those conditions; however, that was not my experience during this log. I appreciate everyone who followed along, and BPS giving me the opportunity to give this a try on their dime.

Overall Rating: 4/5

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well you know that I am in on this.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sweet! In on this log!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im in. Mainly to make sure i dont miss any of your shirtless deadlift videos on instagram.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Went ahead and started Brawn today. Just one cap after my workout. I won't be starting Carter's programming until next Sunday.

I'll update with the training tonight after I get home from work.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, right now I am doing a Push/Pull/Legs/Rest/Push/Pull/Legs split.

Today was Push 1:

Preworkout: 1 scoop Jack3d, 1 scoop MaxReps

Incline DB Flyes: 35 x 15 x 2, 35 x 12
High Inc. Bench: 80kg x 4
Low Inc. Bench: 65kg x 10 x 2, 65kg x 9
DB Bench: 55 x 15 x 2, 55 x 13, 12
Straight Bar Pushdown: 60 x 12 x 4
Dips: BW x F x 2 (19 reps)
Rear Delt Pullapart: Red band x 45 reps
Band Pushdown: Green x 60

Nothing to note. Today was my first dose and it was taken after the workout.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same routine as yesterday. Took the single cap shortly after training. Will update the training for my Pull day when I get home from work tonight.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dropped the ball on yesterday's update. I was more tired than I expected to be by the time I got home.

Yesterday was Pull 1:

Pre: 1 scoop Jack3d, 1 scoop MaxReps

Lat Stretchers: 60 x 15 x 3
NG Chins: BW x 7, +5kg x 7, +10kg x 7, +15kg x 7
WG Pulldown: 120 x 12 x 4
EZ Curl: 35kg x 12 x 2, 35kg x 9
Triangle Pulldown: 100 x 15 x 2, 90 x 15 x 2
Poundstone Curl: Bar x 25

Not bad. Same 1 pill taken postworkout. Not much to add.

Today was Legs 1:

I was a little pressed for time today because I fell asleep after class and woke up too late.

Pre: 1 scoop Jack3d

Con. DL: 140kg x 5 x 2 (1 dead stop, 1 TnG)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTVL9YhAWdp/

GHR: +15# x 10 x 4
Rollout: BW x 10 x 2

Not bad. Deadlifts felt pretty good. Can't honestly say I'm noticing anything just 2 days in. Took 3rd dose today after training.

I also got everything from Paul yesterday. That will begin on Sunday. It will be 3 cardio days and 4 lifting days (2 x chest/shoulders/tris, 2 x back/legs/bis). That split will be a bit of a shift for me, but nothing majorly different. Diet change is slightly higher calorie total (going from a cut to a recomp), "cleaner" foods, and higher percentage coming from protein. Hypothetically, this higher protein ingestion should help make Brawn more effective.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
"3 cardio and 4 lifting"? What is this "cardio" stuff that you speak of? Lol!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subd

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"3 cardio and 4 lifting"? What is this "cardio" stuff that you speak of? Lol!
Basically it is torture.

Recently, I've been doing cardio 2x a week anyway before lifting (usually Tue and Thur as long as my schedule allows).

Georgiepecker

Georgiepecker

Awards
  • Established
Awesome I am interested to see how laxogenin works if your getting tons of protein Daily...Subbed to this

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another double update today:

Yesterday was Push 2

Pre: Jack3d, MaxReps

Strict OHP: 60kg x 6, 5
High Inc. Bench: 62.5kg x 8 x 3
Arnold Press: 35 x 10 x 3, 35 x 9
DB French Press: 45 x 12 x 2, 45 x 11, 10
Lateral raise (run the rack): 25 x 15, 20 x 12, 15 x 15, 10 x 25
Front raise (run the rack): 20 x 18, 15 x 15, 10 x 30

Notes: No extra reps on the OHP, but the incline benches felt much stronger this week than last. Did more weight for the same volume and they felt easier. Also got significantly more volume on the rack runs.

Today was Pull 2:

Duffin Row: 90kg x 6 x 4
Chinese Row: 85 x 12 x 4
Swiss Cable Row: 120 x 15 x 4
XBody Hammer Curl: 30 x 10 x 5
DB Shrugs: 75 x 10 x 3
High Pulley Row: 70 x 20 x 3
Concentration Curl: 20 x 12 x 2

Notes: pretty good today as well. More weight/volume on every lift today; however, nothing felt "easier" like yesterday. Duffin rows actually felt heavier at the same weight as last week.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Started day 1 today.

Low Incline Bench: 50kg x 22, 18, 14 (54 reps)

a1. Incline DB Flyes: 30 x 10 x 2
a2. Dips: BW x 12, 9

Front raise: 10kg x 100
Lateral raise: 25 x 8 x 4
Pullaparts: Red x 30, 30, 25, 15 (100 reps)

b1. VBar pushdown: 70 x 11, 10, 10, 8
b2. Seated DB French Press: 40 x 10 x 2, 40 x 8, 35 x 10

Not bad. The food is probably going to be the worst part; at least, for the first 4 weeks.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Took the day off from work because I have too much homework.

Got a late workout in today.

Took brawn a few hours before the workout with my preworkout meal (fell asleep trying to write a paper and had a much later workout because of it)

Back, Legs, Biceps 1

Chins: +10kg x 5 x 5
TBar Rows: 40kg x 15, 45kg x 15

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTkvmKWApWi/

Lunges: +30# x 100 (50 per leg)

a1. Axle Curl: 35kg x 10, 25kg x 10 x 2
a2. Incline DB Curl: 15s x 10 x 3

Notes: not much. Chinups felt strong. Can't really compare much else because I haven't been doing the other exercises very frequently.

Now I'm off to finish this damn paper.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
15 40 yard sprints today. Rest between each sprint was the walk back.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
15 40 yard sprints today. Rest between each sprint was the walk back.
if you were able to go all out on that 15th sprint that is pretty dammed good!!!

you must sprint often?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you were able to go all out on that 15th sprint that is pretty dammed good!!!

you must sprint often?
Lol no. Paul has me doing the first 12 at 80% and only the last 3 are all out sprints. I'm a fat bum and cardio hurts my soul.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol no. Paul has me doing the first 12 at 80% and only the last 3 are all out sprints. I'm a fat bum and cardio hurts my soul.
still pretty good...takes a lot of effort to do 15 sprints....I think people who don't do sprints realize this, imo.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm right there with you on that!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Finally caught up. In the words of Brandon Allen, "For cardio, I **** my wife."

Probably why my physique looks like a weak Brandon Allen

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My cardio is sledge hammer to a tractor tire lol may start to incorporate sled drags/pushes

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Finally caught up. In the words of Brandon Allen, "For cardio, I **** my wife."

Probably why my physique looks like a weak Brandon Allen
Well, you're just in time for 10 weeks of sadness.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
still pretty good...takes a lot of effort to do 15 sprints....I think people who don't do sprints realize this, imo.
Yeah, they sucked. After those lunges the day before, the sprints had my legs sore all day.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Upper 2

DB Bench: 85 x 6, 65 x 15, 60 x 23
Facepulls: 40 x 25 x 5
Seated DB OHP: 45 x 15, 55 x 10
Bent DB Laterals: 20 x 12 x 4
CG Bench: 80kg x 10, 9, 8

Notes: not bad. Thought the db bench would be harder, so I had to do extra reps (should have been failing at 12 and 20 on the last two). Same with OHP. We'll see how it feels next week to compare. Diet still sucks. Gonna go to HEB on Friday and look for walden farms 0 calorie sauces to try to spice this up a bit.

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I'd be adding some Mrs. Dash or something. I can't stand bland food.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
BLB 2 today.

Bulgarian Split Squat: 50 x 10, 55 x 10, 60 x 10
Squat: 80kg x 20
GHR: BW x 10 x 4
WG Pulldown: 140 x 6, 130 x 12
DB Row: 80 x 20
CG EZ Curl: 20kg x 20 x 3

Notes: well, that sucked.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Squat x20

RPE~ inhaler lol

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
30 minute trail run after class today.

Knees didn't explode and my back didn't lock up, so I'll call that a win. It really wasn't bad at all.

Still have another one to do tomorrow though.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another 30 minute run today. Nothing much to add.

bwdill

bwdill

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
30 minute trail run after class today.

Knees didn't explode and my back didn't lock up, so I'll call that a win. It really wasn't bad at all.

Still have another one to do tomorrow though.
That's good to hear!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Week 2: training stays the same, but there is a 200 calorie decrease in diet. The decrease comes entirely from carbs. Been making turkey and spinach meatballs. Much better that way. A little 0 cal bbq sauce goes a long way here.

Training today:

Low Inc. Bench: 55kg x 20, 19, 17 (56) (+5kg, +2 reps)

a1. Inc. Flyes: 30 x 10, 35 x 10 (+5# on last set)
a2. Dips: BW x 13, 11 (+3 reps)

Lateral raise: 30 x 8 x 4 (+5#, all sets)
Pullapart: Red x 100

b1. VBar Pushdown: 70 x 11, 10, 9, 7
b2. French Press: 40 x 10 x 4

Notes: Did more weight or reps on nearly every exercise today. You won't see me necessarily attribute that to brawn in this log, but the fact is that I was able to do more today. We will see if that continues.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday was BLB 1;

Weighted Chins: +10kg x 5 x 5
TBar Rows: 50kg x 15 x 2
Lunges: 30 x 100

a1. Axle Curl: 30kg x 10 x 3
a2. Inc. DB Curl: 15 x 10 x 3

Note: not a lot extra here. Was a little heavier on TBar and curls.

Today:

15 sprints (same as last week)

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man, them sprints would have me wheezing like an emphysema patient on oxygen! Which is probably a good reason for me to start doing some cardio. :(

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man, them sprints would have me wheezing like an emphysema patient on oxygen! Which is probably a good reason for me to start doing some cardio. :(
They weren't as fast this week because my quads were cramping, that might have made them easier.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will post the last 2 updates later tonight. No cardio today, unless you count 3 hours of moving gym equipment as cardio.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4 updates incoming:

Wednesday last week:

CST 2

DB Bench: 90 x 6, 70 x 13, 65 x 21
Facepulls: 40 x 25 x 5
Seated DB OHP: 55 x 10, 60 x 7
Bent DB Raise: 25 x 12 x 4
CG Bench: 80kg x 10 x 2, 80kg x 8

BLB 2 on Thursday:

BSS: 55 x 10, 60 x 10, 65 x 10
Squat: 85kg x 20
GHR: BW x 10 x 4
WG Pulldown: 150 x 6, 130 x 12
DB Row: 80 x 20
CG EZ Curl: 22.5kg x 20 x 3

Missed the runs this weekend with all the equipment moving.

Yesterday was CST 1:

Low Inc. Bench: 60kg x 20, 17, 15 (52)

a1. Inc. Flyes: 35 x 10 x 2
a2. Dips: BW x 13, 12

Lateral raise: 30 x 8 x 4
Pullapart: red x 100

b1. Vbar pushdown: 70 x 11, 8, 8, 7
b2. French Press: 45 x 10 x 4

Today's BLB 1:

Weighted Chins: +15kg x 5 x 5
TBar Rows: 50kg x 15, 55kg x 15
Lunges: 30 x 100

a1. Axle Curl: 30kg x 10 x 3
a2. Inc. DB curl: 20 x 10 x 3

Notes: Bodyweight is down to 172 as of this weekend, but the weights are still climbing on most exercises. That's all I have for today.