Unanswered Is Weight Training Really Needed for Fat Loss and Toning Up?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
At 30% bodyfat, I definitely need to trim down.

I have been trying Beach Body's "Insanity" and enjoy it.

I will be moving to a new apartment near a twenty four hour gym soon, and may get back into weight training like I used to.

But, is weight training really necessary for effective toning?

I ask because I know that only doing lots of repetitive cardio such as jogging would just wear a person down.

But, areas like Beachbody "Insanity" Series, etc. has been shown to have people trim down, while also marginally improving their strength, range of motion, etc.

I am sure there is nothing wrong with weight training. But, is the metabolic stimulus so great as to warrant cutting out the extra cardio?

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Is it necessary? No.

Is it beneficial? Yes.

I’d choose weights over just cardio or those types of dvd training methods.

Optimally you’d do a range of things, with diet playing a key role in “toning” up.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It really depends on the look you’re going for. Beach Body’s Insanity has strength training exercises in it which can help with building muscle(“toning”) and well as the cardio aspect for fat burning. If you’re wanting to build more muscle, you will have to increase the resistance which is where the weight lifting aspect comes in. Everyone has a preference on type of training- find one you enjoy, that makes you feel good, keeps you active/motivated, and challenge yourself to grow towards your goals- be it bodybuilding, athleticism, strength...the list goes on.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s not necessary to exercise at all to lose weight, particularly if you’re substantially overweight. That said, exercise can make the progress move faster, and weight training will make it more likely to be losing fat instead of muscle.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
When one focuses on weight loss, rather than fat loss, a lot of people lose lean mass and fat mass. Especially when you add cardio into the mix of a deficit. Also are dependent. A young guy with great hormones can get away with a lot. Older guys with declining hormones should really get that muscle protein synthesis activated; through weight lifting and complete protein content. Weight lifting combined with sufficient protein will help you hold onto and gain muscle, while losing fat, than just losing body weight in general. The goal of every should be to not lose bodyweight, but to change the composition of their body; IE, increasing lean mass while losing fat mass. Doing so will improve insulin sensetive, will decrease all cause mortality, will make you look and feel younger.