Is There Anything More Intense Than Tabata Protocol? Any Research?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

1. I myself have gotten back into fitness on lockdown.

I am doing kettlebell swings with Tabata Protocol. I actually adding the fifth minute.

I am doing it twice a day, sometimes a third one, as a sort of coffee break.

2. I know we have heard of the Tabata protocol as being the most intense short term. But, we do have any research to show that this is true?

We know EAS bastardized it with Guerilla Cardio, etc., as they take one study and try to cite it and make it cool.

3. How come more people did not do more research on people adding more than four minutes? Why not more?

Again, my best guess is that budgets are limited. People are lucky to even get that one study.

4. How much is over-doing it?

If someone had hard-core gear, they could do probably 30+60 minutes of pure Tabata kettlebell swings, or anything else.

5. I know, you all tell me to try something, and record results. My plan is to do 3 Tabata protocols with kettlebells (morning, lunch break, evening), and then see the results.

Kettlebell swings are probably the best single one to use; but, I can do other similar ones if it gets stale (one handed swings, kb Goblet squats, etc.)

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
To address one of your questions... why not more than 4 minutes?

First, the tabata protocol is 4 minutes THREE TIMES. Secondly, if I remember correctly, the high intervals during those 4 minutes involve getting to 90% of max heart rate.
This protocol was developed for world class speed skaters, for conditioning purposes in preparation for THE OLYMPICS.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that 98% of the population can’t and does not do the tabata protocol. They think they are, but they’re not. You have to consider very seriously the level of physical and mental prowess the individuals this was specifically designed for have to be able to train this way. Further, the fact that the average idiot at the gym thinks they can train the same way is flat out laughable. They can’t. And no matter how intensive their effort may be, what they’re actually doing in terms of the measurables doesn’t deliver anything close.

So, why not more than 4 minutes? Remember, it’s 4 minutes 3 times. And, this workout is designed to be so intense it pushes OLYMPIC ATHLETES to the limit for 4 minutes at a very specific intensity level. If you decided to do it for a longer period, the intensity would have to be compromised a bit, and that would take away the entire point of the whole thing in the first place.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
To address one of your questions... why not more than 4 minutes?

First, the tabata protocol is 4 minutes THREE TIMES. Secondly, if I remember correctly, the high intervals during those 4 minutes involve getting to 90% of max heart rate.
This protocol was developed for world class speed skaters, for conditioning purposes in preparation for THE OLYMPICS.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say that 98% of the population can’t and does not do the tabata protocol. They think they are, but they’re not. You have to consider very seriously the level of physical and mental prowess the individuals this was specifically designed for have to be able to train this way. Further, the fact that the average idiot at the gym thinks they can train the same way is flat out laughable. They can’t. And no matter how intensive their effort may be, what they’re actually doing in terms of the measurables doesn’t deliver anything close.

So, why not more than 4 minutes? Remember, it’s 4 minutes 3 times. And, this workout is designed to be so intense it pushes OLYMPIC ATHLETES to the limit for 4 minutes at a very specific intensity level. If you decided to do it for a longer period, the intensity would have to be compromised a bit, and that would take away the entire point of the whole thing in the first place.
^This^
Ppl don’t realize that they are not even close to working as hard as they are supposed to.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
1. I agree. Many people read magazines, such as EAS Muscle Media, and get into the hype.

The real science does not work that way. Hence, this is why I ask this topic, and appreciate real feedback from you guys.

2. I am aware of what you said about the study population: the Tabata studies were elite Japanese figure skaters training for the Olympics.

This does not at all make sense for the regular population, going in the gym.

Many use terms like "Tabata Situps" but it is nothing like the real case.

3. I actually wrote to ASCM's top brass. They sent back some research articles. We can all look and discuss it:

TABATA: It’s a HIIT!
By Michele Olson, Ph.D., FACSM, CSCS
https://journals.lww.com/acsm-healthfitness/Fulltext/2014/09000/TABATA__It_s_a_HIIT_.6.aspx

Interval Training
By Maria Cress, MS., John Porcari, Ph.D., FACSM and Carl Foster, Ph.D., FACSM
https://journals.lww.com/acsm-healthfitness/Fulltext/2015/11000/INTERVAL_TRAINING.3.aspx

We also have published the following on Tabata in MSSE from Annual Meeting poster sessions:

A 12-week Modified Tabata Exercise Program On Functional Fitness For The Elderly: A Pilot Study
201 Board #22
https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2017/05001/A_12_week_Modified_Tabata_Exercise_Program_On.106.aspx

Energetic System Contribution According Sprint Number In Tabata High Intensity Interval Training Protocol
3743 Board #60
https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2020/07001/Energetic_System_Contribution_According_Sprint.3019.aspx

Cardiorespiratory Responses to a 20-minute Shallow Water Tabata Style Workout: A Gender Comparison
1021 Board #200
https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/Fulltext/2017/05001/Cardiorespiratory_Responses_to_a_20_minute_Shallow.810.aspx
4. In my own life, I certainly like it for kettlebell swings.

In a single four minute circuit, I can get up to 100 swings. If I were to do it three times, it would be 300 swings.

Not bad, for free weight + lower body + 12 minutes + can be done at home without more special equipment.