Is There Any Realistic Danger in Lifting Chalk (Magnesium Carbonate)?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Guys,

My wife bought some of that lifting chalk, in China.

It says 100% magnesium carbonate.

I did try it today, for the first time. I definitely like the chalk, as the kettlebell almost sticks to my hand. Very nice.

1. I did taste some in my water cup. Clearly, I can see how the dust gets everywhere.

2. I would never eat this stuff intentionally. But, is there any danger in using it regularly, around the office?

I know Johnson and Johnson had a scare about basic baby powder causing cancer for women. I thought that stuff was safe.

Is there any adverse effects, or danger in inhalation of lifting chalk, etc.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Why are you eating or tasting lifting chalk? That makes absolutely no sense. Nor do I see any reason to "inhale it" what net benefit would that provide?
There is no need to use lifting chalk around an office.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
there's a reason half the gyms don't allow chalk lol

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
We don't have a gym at my school.

I just have a KB in my big office. I exercise there after work.

Again, inhaling was an accident. My hands have chalk on them, and I drink water from a cup.

Any big danger?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
We don't have a gym at my school.

I just have a KB in my big office. I exercise there after work.

Again, inhaling was an accident. My hands have chalk on them, and I drink water from a cup.

Any big danger?
magnesium carbonate is technically safe to ingest afaik, but I don't know if your chalk is food grade and meant to be eaten

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
magnesium carbonate is technically safe to ingest afaik, but I don't know if your chalk is food grade and meant to be eaten
Exactly this. Also ANY non-food grade mag carb. COULD potentially contain other impurities you would probably prefer to avoid regardless of origin country as being non-food grade would not require as strict of purity/testing.

Solutrion: Use a little less, develop a better "chalking up" technique. If still an issue buy some gloves of those grippy strap things the all the CFers use because you know what I always say, "If it's good enough for Tia and Matt it's good enough for me!"

No disrespect for Tia and Matt I am a HUGE fan of both.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 14
Anabolics 2
VWMeatHead IGF-1/GH 13
Weight Loss 5
LiftWithDonuts Anabolics 15